Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else hate integrated shift/brake levers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else hate integrated shift/brake levers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 10:06 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
Integrated shifting is so much better! I love it. Everything is right there. It's progress and one that improved cycling. I haven't tried electronic shifting yet but I will.
Old 03-09-20, 10:42 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I currently have 3 older steel road bikes.

1984/5 Spectrum, 6 speed downtube Dura Ace.

​1996ish Voodoo gravel bike rebuilt as a 1x10 with a bar end shifter.

2001 Tallerico with 10 speed Campy Chorus ergo shifters.

All downright amazing bikes. I would say Ergo>bar end>downtube.

For every metric I can think of. I'd race my Tallerico tomorrow, no concerns. I do race the voodoo, I'll upgrade eventually for weight and wheelbase. The shifting is good enough.

I wouldn't enter the overweight citizens race on the Spectrum, I'd die. I love it but progress has marched forward.

I don't hate downtube shifters at all. I don't hate steering wheel stick shifts either. They are classics now, fun for loads of reasons. Not performance.
Old 03-09-20, 10:55 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
How does the I-Spec thing work? Is it like a regular thumbshifter? I've never ridden an indexed shift bike before.
Old 03-10-20, 12:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
As for cost, downtube shifters up to 8 spd are cheap and easy to find. Go to 9 or 10 and you're limited to Dura-ace at $90+ or crappy suntour which ghost shift and last 12 months. My flatbar "pub bike" which I built largely from my parts bin, the downtube 9 spd shifters were the greatest cost.
I've been using SunTour DT shifters on my 9-speed for 12 years. Never had an issues at all. Probably taken them apart, cleaned and re-greased once. (I believe they are Superbe but I spent the first 10 years with no clue what they were. They just works as a shifter should and handled 9-speed easily.)
Old 03-10-20, 03:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
How does the I-Spec thing work? Is it like a regular thumbshifter? I've never ridden an indexed shift bike before.
It is a system by Shimano for flat bar shifters/brakes. It uses seperate trigger shifter and brake lever, but both mount to a single handlebar clamp (i.e. only the brake lever has a clamp). Sram has a similar system, the MatchMaker.
Old 03-10-20, 05:56 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have always done unsupported touring with bar ends. Usually, it's fine, but there was one day riding across PA that I really wish I had brifters. There was a long stretch of road that had lots of ups and downs. The shoulder was often bumpy and/or gravelly. I didn't feel comfortable taking my hands off the bars to shift at speed as I made the transition from down to up. I ended up coasting the descents and waiting for the bike to slow down enough until it "caught up" to the low gear the bike was in, which doesn't take long when you're fully loaded. Then I would start grinding up the next incline. Had I had brifters I could have shifted cog to cog pedaled to take advantage of momentum longer and conserve energy.
I rode in Eastern Pa a couple of times, brought my bike when visiting someone. The first ride, it seemed my heart rate was always at LT. Steep little climb, steep little descent, rinse and repeat. The climbs always seemed just long enough that you couldn't maintain your momentum and power over the top. It took me a good 30-45 minutes to get a rhythm.

I had bar ends, so shifting wasn't an issue, I could just slide my hand down to shift without taking my hand completely off the bar, but I know what you mean about the rough, narrow, winding, shoulderless roads with poor sightlines. (Also, lots of cow pats in some places.) Fortunately there wasn't much traffic in most spots, once I got away from the highway (I was staying in a hotel).
Old 03-10-20, 08:04 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I’m getting tired of integrated brake/shift levers. Separate Is much better in my opinion. Makes it easier to change out one or the other if you want to. (Less expensive too)
i like both. I use integrated (sti) on my road bikes. I love being able to move my hands from the drops to brake hoods and being able to shift and brake in either position. There’s no doubt that cost is a penalty though, but the sti levers last forever, imo. I’ve broken on lever since the first 8 spd version came out decades ago.

i use separate on my flat bar mtn/snow bikes. There really is only one hand position so integrating doesn’t have the same value. Also, mtn/snow bikes seem to need a lot more parts (ie crashes, bad conditions, etc). I break stuff every season it seems riding off road.
Old 03-10-20, 11:40 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Sorry if I'm derailing this thread, but I'm going to be building up a bike, my Trek 750, with drops, and I'm not even sure what options are available for drop bars. It seems like brifters, bar ends, or down tubes are about it; am I missing something?
Old 03-10-20, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I do not like it when brake levers also are used as shifters but my integrated Di2 levers are some of the finest shifting I have experienced. I can also say I love my Gevenalle levers which have Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters right on the front of the brake lever. I will say I much prefer integration to downtube shifting (and yes I have a bike with that as well Dura Ace 6 speed and the shifting is fantastic but reaching down ain't fun).

I didn't hate my bar end shifters but I certainly didn't re-spec them on my new touring bike when I built it up and certainly did not appreciate my knees getting in on the shifting action sometimes nor other fixtures if I leaned it wrong.

What I would really love to see is the SRAM S500 brake levers with SRAM R2C shifters on the front that work for Shimano 9 and 11 speed (road and mountain) and you will have my undivided attention. That would sell like hot cakes for sure, those levers are super ergonomic and comfortable at least in my hands and the Return to Center stuff is cool but not yet Shimano compatible (which makes sense SRAM is a direct competitor). Basically taking the Gevenalle concept and making it more modern and sleek and comfortable.
Old 03-10-20, 09:48 PM
Crosis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am still trying to get used to them.