Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Stems?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon Fiber Stems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 07:20 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Carbon Fiber Stems?

If carbon fiber forks are used to dampen vibrations, how about carbon stems? They might be too short-- you could always get a smaller frame and a longer stem to make up for it.

Or any other ways to reduce vibrations in stems? Like, wouldn't it make sense to put dampeners in stems?
Old 04-16-20, 09:35 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think carbon seatpost can be worthwhile, but carbon stems have no benefit over aluminum,

can be heavier, and don't even look good. I have one on my bike- it came that way, & is the right size.

There have been various things invented for this.
Old 04-16-20, 09:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
The fork is a big, long thing...If it's well-designed, it will smooth out a bike's ride slightly.

A stem is short and designed to firmly hold the handlebar in place. Not much compliance there.

A cf stem won't be any lighter than one made of aluminum, won't provide a smoother ride, and will generally be less attractive. Oh, and it will cost big bucks, too.
Old 04-16-20, 09:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
The dampeners for your stem (and other parts) are called tires and tire pressure.
NOT a joke.
Old 04-16-20, 10:17 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
If carbon fiber forks are used to dampen vibrations, how about carbon stems? They might be too short-- you could always get a smaller frame and a longer stem to make up for it.

Or any other ways to reduce vibrations in stems? Like, wouldn't it make sense to put dampeners in stems?
CF handlebars can dampen vibration. Stems are too short and you don't want them to flex anyway.
Old 04-16-20, 12:42 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
My 2006 Trek 7.5 FX came with a aluminium fork, stem, and bars. I eventually swapped the stem and bars for carbon fiber stem and bars. The feeling of the ride was changed dramatically. There was much less vibration transmitted through the bars. The difference was most notable on the local chip sealed roads. So IMHO it was well worth the cost and effort to make the swap. It made the ride much more comfortable.
Old 04-16-20, 08:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

This is actually a nice little item for those who need some vibration help beyond what normal sized tires (for whatever bike you're using) and padded handlebar tape. I put one on my wife's gravel bike because she has an arthritic elbow. I installed it last fall and for the few rides she used it, she likes it. Since I have two arthritic elbows, I'm going to get one for myself.

Not the lightest thing in the world, but in the big picture of bike+rider weight, might be worth it to many of us, even those of us (mea culpa) with weight weenie tendencies.
Old 04-16-20, 09:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

This is actually a nice little item for those who need some vibration help beyond what normal sized tires (for whatever bike you're using) and padded handlebar tape. I put one on my wife's gravel bike because she has an arthritic elbow. I installed it last fall and for the few rides she used it, she likes it. Since I have two arthritic elbows, I'm going to get one for myself.

Not the lightest thing in the world, but in the big picture of bike+rider weight, might be worth it to many of us, even those of us (mea culpa) with weight weenie tendencies.
I put a ShockStop stem on my touring bike & it works great. Redshift was super nice--I botched switching the elastomer (3 different incl) & they sent me a new stem with with the desired elastomer installed, no charge. Folks say carbon handlebars absorb some vibration but I think a carbon stem wouldn't help.
Old 04-17-20, 09:46 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My Culprit from 2013 has carbon stem, bars, frame, seat post, rims. It's not a comfy bike, but a pretty stiff wannabe race bike. Its a fun bike, but I wouldn't go touring on it. Old school steel provides a better touring platform. On a 40 or 50 lb loaded touring rig, a few grams saved with carbon components hardly matters.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 04-17-20, 10:32 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Are you trying to make some relevant point?
Likes For GeneO:
Old 04-18-20, 07:28 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
My Culprit from 2013 has carbon stem, bars, frame, seat post, rims. It's not a comfy bike, but a pretty stiff wannabe race bike. Its a fun bike, but I wouldn't go touring on it. Old school steel provides a better touring platform. On a 40 or 50 lb loaded touring rig, a few grams saved with carbon components hardly matters.
A year ago I was curious about saving weight on my touring bike, I was surprised to see that with carbon seatposts, stems & handlebars there was very little weight saving. I might have tried a carbon handlebar just for extra comfort but they're not ideal for clamping accessories.