Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubular tire & rim question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 10:05 PM
Richard5158

Bikes: 1963 Phillips 3-speed, 1970's Sears Puch 3-speed, 1958 Olmo Professional Deluxe, 1981 Olmo Competition HF, 1983 Schwinn Waterford PDG Paramount Touring

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I need to replace a 700c x 21mm Vittoria Rally tubular tire mounted on an 18mm wide Ambrosio Montreal rim but after some searching it seems like that size is no longer available. Would it be acceptable in terms of a proper fit to replace it with a 23mm size of the same brand and model tire, or should I stick with a 21mm tire of another brand to be on the safe side?
I'd appreciate any input from anyoone with any experience with this.
Thanks,
Richard
Solvang, CA.
Old 04-22-20, 10:12 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
The only time you would not want to go wider, if is there is little clearance between the tire and the frame. If there is plenty of clearance, you can go wider.

The sizes you are talking about have so little difference, it is unlikely to be an issue.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-22-20, 10:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
I would also advice the Rally 23 tire. I have used many, maybe 10 or 15 during the years I rode sew ups. they were my daily/commuting tire. I don't think there will be any issues with your Montreal rims (which I have also used way long ago). Andy
Old 04-22-20, 11:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Those are some pretty narrow rims, but 23mm tires will be fine, and you'll probably like them better. No reason to use the same brand.
Old 04-23-20, 02:47 PM
Richard5158

Bikes: 1963 Phillips 3-speed, 1970's Sears Puch 3-speed, 1958 Olmo Professional Deluxe, 1981 Olmo Competition HF, 1983 Schwinn Waterford PDG Paramount Touring

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
The only time you would not want to go wider, if is there is little clearance between the tire and the frame. If there is plenty of clearance, you can go wider.

The sizes you are talking about have so little difference, it is unlikely to be an issue.
Thanks for your input. I'm pretty sure a 23mm tire will fit within the calipers and frame, I'm more concerned about the slightly wider tire fitting inside the 18mm rim and staying put after it's glued in. Based on another post it looks like it will without a problem.
Old 04-23-20, 02:56 PM
Richard5158

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would also advice the Rally 23 tire. I have used many, maybe 10 or 15 during the years I rode sew ups. they were my daily/commuting tire. I don't think there will be any issues with your Montreal rims (which I have also used way long ago). Andy
Thanks Andy, I think that's the route I'll take, install the Rally 23's. It's on the rear wheel so it shouldn't have any negative effect on the handling with Rally 21's on the front wheel.
Old 04-23-20, 03:01 PM
Richard5158

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Those are some pretty narrow rims, but 23mm tires will be fine, and you'll probably like them better. No reason to use the same brand.
These Montreal rims are on my 81 Olmo which for me is more a show bike than a rider so I'll buy the Rally tire so it matches the one up front.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-20, 09:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Richard5158
Thanks Andy, I think that's the route I'll take, install the Rally 23's. It's on the rear wheel so it shouldn't have any negative effect on the handling with Rally 21's on the front wheel.
If you want to quibble the tiny crap then I could make a claim that the wider tire on the rear should be on the front. The old BMX trick. The wider tire will have greater traction and be less likely to flat. Both qualities that are more important for the front then the rear, not to mention (but I do mention...) the newer rubber will have even greater grip then old rubber does. The best- use tow 23 new tires Andy
Old 04-24-20, 06:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I have 28s on similar sized rims with no issue. You may prefer some tubular tires in a 25 size if you have the clearance.
Old 04-24-20, 08:36 PM
Richard5158

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I have 28s on similar sized rims with no issue. You may prefer some tubular tires in a 25 size if you have the clearance.
It's good to know that I can mount 25 & 28mm tires on the Montreal rim. For now I'm okay going with the Rally 23mm as the bike is rarely ridden and I'm trying to keep it as period correct as possible.
Thanks everyone for the useful posts.
Old 04-24-20, 09:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Generally a sew up's fit to a rim is dependent on whether the rim and tire's surfaces match up in their contact, the two curves if you will. The rim's concavity of the tire seat and the tire's diameter (and sometimes if the casing stitching bulges beyond the tire's circumference). In other words when a tire in mounted on a rim does the tire's base tape contact the rim's center only (as when the rim's curve is shallow and the tire is skinny) or does the base tape contact the rim along the rim's seat sides. Ideally the tire and rim match in their shapes and the glue has max contact surface to work with. Since this aspect of rims isn't a spec published and the tire can have it's stitching bulge out If the tire is wider and thus it's contact with the rim is more along the base's sides then I see less issues then if the tire is skinnier then the rim's curve and the contact in only down the center of the base tape and rim's seat. Andy
Old 04-26-20, 07:59 PM
Richard5158

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Generally a sew up's fit to a rim is dependent on whether the rim and tire's surfaces match up in their contact, the two curves if you will. The rim's concavity of the tire seat and the tire's diameter (and sometimes if the casing stitching bulges beyond the tire's circumference). In other words when a tire in mounted on a rim does the tire's base tape contact the rim's center only (as when the rim's curve is shallow and the tire is skinny) or does the base tape contact the rim along the rim's seat sides. Ideally the tire and rim match in their shapes and the glue has max contact surface to work with. Since this aspect of rims isn't a spec published and the tire can have it's stitching bulge out If the tire is wider and thus it's contact with the rim is more along the base's sides then I see less issues then if the tire is skinnier then the rim's curve and the contact in only down the center of the base tape and rim's seat. Andy
Thanks Andy for the insight into the fitting of the tire into a rim. Even more reason to feel comfortable installing the 23mm Rally onto my rim.