Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disk brake wheel - repetitive removal / mounting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Disk brake wheel - repetitive removal / mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 02:24 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Disk brake wheel - repetitive mounting / dismounting

Hi,
I have a question about road bikes with disk brakes (I use rim brakes for the moment): How do disk brakes behave in case of repetitive mounting / dismounting of the front wheel, for transportation inside the car? Do they need special care and adjustments each time, or are they as simple to mount / dismount, as rim brakes?

Thanks
Old 04-28-20, 07:20 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
as long as you are careful there should be no problems. The disc is thin and it can be easily bent if not handled properly.
Old 04-28-20, 08:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Never a problem with the one bike I own with a front disc brake and which must have the front wheel removed to carry the bike on a roof rack.
Old 04-28-20, 08:35 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
This is why you get a frame with thru axles. Lines up the same way every time.
Old 04-29-20, 04:47 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Just be careful not to pull the brake lever with the wheel out and it will be fine.
Old 04-29-20, 06:24 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
This is why you get a frame with thru axles. Lines up the same way every time.
That’s been my experience. I have one bike with discs and quick releases, and I think maybe once I’ve been able to reinstall the front wheel without the brake rubbing. Just about every time the wheel comes off, I have to re-align the caliper.

The bike with thru-axles? The caliper lines up with the disc perfectly every time. I don’t plan on having another bike with both discs and QRs.
Likes For ted_major:
Old 04-29-20, 11:06 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
That’s been my experience. I have one bike with discs and quick releases, and I think maybe once I’ve been able to reinstall the front wheel without the brake rubbing. Just about every time the wheel comes off, I have to re-align the caliper.

The bike with thru-axles? The caliper lines up with the disc perfectly every time. I don’t plan on having another bike with both discs and QRs.
If you flip your bike over when replacing the wheel, try this trick insted:
Hold the bike upright while you thread the disc onto the brake caliper and the axle into the fork ends. Set the bike down until the axle bottoms in the fork ends, tighten the QR and you'll be good to go.
Old 04-29-20, 11:34 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Just be careful not to pull the brake lever with the wheel out and it will be fine.
Good advice for hydraulic brakes.
Old 04-29-20, 12:32 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I do lots of one way riding then enjoy lunch with the wife. I remove the front wheel and roll the bike in the back of the mini van. Never an issue with the hyd brakes.
Old 04-29-20, 12:39 PM
ted_major

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Set the bike down until the axle bottoms in the fork ends, tighten the QR and you'll be good to go.
I do that, but the caliper still rubs almost every time I reinstall the front wheel. I’ve gone through several sets of calipers, all of which behaved the same way. The bike in question is a 2016 GT Grade, which came w/ TRP HY-RD brakes (and Shimano 105 brifters). I went through a couple of pairs of those under warranty because it was impossible to adjust them so that they wouldn’t bottom out on the handlebars. TRP eventually sent me a pair of Spyre calipers, which worked w/o bottoming out, but like the HY-RDs needed re-aligning every time I took the front wheel off. Those were eventually replaced with Yokozuna Motokos, which worked great, but still required caliper re-alignment.

My best guess as to the root cause is that I use Nitto Randonneur bars, which have a traditional round bend instead of modern ergo bars that angle backwards in a straight line. I suspect an ergo bar would leave room for more lever travel, so that I have to adjust the pads close to the disc (which gives me a nice, firm lever feel) and there just isn’t any room for even the tiniest misalignment without caliper rub.
Old 04-29-20, 12:49 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I do that, but the caliper still rubs almost every time I reinstall the front wheel. I’ve gone through several sets of calipers, all of which behaved the same way. The bike in question is a 2016 GT Grade, which came w/ TRP HY-RD brakes (and Shimano 105 brifters). I went through a couple of pairs of those under warranty because it was impossible to adjust them so that they wouldn’t bottom out on the handlebars. TRP eventually sent me a pair of Spyre calipers, which worked w/o bottoming out, but like the HY-RDs needed re-aligning every time I took the front wheel off. Those were eventually replaced with Yokozuna Motokos, which worked great, but still required caliper re-alignment.

My best guess as to the root cause is that I use Nitto Randonneur bars, which have a traditional round bend instead of modern ergo bars that angle backwards in a straight line. I suspect an ergo bar would leave room for more lever travel, so that I have to adjust the pads close to the disc (which gives me a nice, firm lever feel) and there just isn’t any room for even the tiniest misalignment without caliper rub.
On QRs, the lawyer tabs are to blame. Since one has to turn the skewer a few times to remove and install the wheel, different tensions are placed each time which throw the alignment out of wack. I've had good luck counting revolutions (usually 4 or 5) when removing the wheel and tightening the same amount of revolutions.
Old 04-29-20, 01:39 PM
ted_major

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I've had good luck counting revolutions (usually 4 or 5) when removing the wheel and tightening the same amount of revolutions.
I do that too (it takes 4 revolutions for this bike). Still can’t get the disc & caliper to stay aligned. Mostly I just don’t take the wheels off.
Old 04-29-20, 01:46 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've never not had to realign the caliper everytime I remove my front wheel for transport. It only takes a second to loosen the caliper, lightly squeeze the brake and retighten, but it's still a pain in the arse.
Old 04-29-20, 10:23 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts

You can get some DT Swiss RWS skewers which are similar to thru axles. I never had much of a problem with normal QR skewers, maybe reseating the wheel once or twice. But a friend gave me some RWS skewers and I have yet to have a misalignment with them. These skewers are new to me though and I haven't taken the wheel off much since owning them.