Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Places to park for partial ride and drive

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-30-20, 06:00 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

I currently park at a co-workers house and ride from there. I have rode more than a handful of times in a year for close to 15 years. So, I am starting light with 3.5 miles each way between work and the car. Going to slowly start stepping out in a couple weeks. I work 2nd shift so most business are closed when leave work (quit time for me is 11 pm).

Does anyone have suggestions for asking businesses permission to park in their lots for 8 and a half hours? The last thing I want is my car towed.
Old 04-30-20, 08:36 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I worked out a deal with a church that had vandalism and burglary problems. Since I usually started my ride about 0500 they let me park all day (out of the way but in the shade) in exchange for driving through the parking lot and shining my headlights on anyone "hanging out". Worked really well.

Sam
Old 05-01-20, 01:32 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I usually park on the street. Not always the same place, but 3 or 4 different places. Also park in a National Park Service lot, along with several other bike commuters.
Old 05-01-20, 01:35 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I usually park on the street. Not always the same place, but 3 or 4 different places. Also park in a National Park Service lot, along with several other bike commuters.
Right now, I am parking on the street in front of a co-worker house but wanting to start increasing the ride distance over the next few weeks. But I was hoping for something a bit more lit. Also, no parks, national, state, or county between work and home. I do have a few big box stores, a mall, some strip malls, etc available.
Old 05-01-20, 10:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
You might want to call the big box store or mall managers and ask. Parking at the far end of the lot isn't likely to hurt their business (until Christmas). Otherwise, they might get concerned after the first few times seeing the same car there.
Old 05-02-20, 07:22 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I struggled with the worsening traffic conditions on my 17 mile commute that consisted of about 40% bike path between home and the office. The drivers' attitudes toward bicyclists and several close calls forced me to look for alternatives.

For a while I parked in a parking garage at a mall and then rode the 12 miles to the office. Although the distance was a little shorter, the main reason for changing my commute was safety as there are bike paths about 80% of the way between the mall and my office. I never asked permission, but the garage was never anywhere close to full - which indicates the serious lack of mall patrons these days. I also considered parking at a church, which is a little further to the office than the mall, but bike paths probably cover 85% of the total distance.

I struggled with the decision for a while because it actually took about 20 minutes longer each way for me to drive and bike than it did to bike the whole way from my house due to distance and traffic to/from the mall, and to loading/unloading my bike in the car). Eventually, I returned to my original home to office commute with a few tweaks to the route that has reduced the negative interactions with drivers.

COVID-19 changed things! Now, I do a morning ride of 15-20 miles (through local neighborhoods without any bike paths) just about everyday. Traffic volume is much lower now, but I think that just about everyone is driving significantly faster. I have found that I really like riding every morning on varying routes.

Be Safe!
Old 05-02-20, 07:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
maybe it's time to be an activist! maybe you can help start this kind of thing in your area

https://www.parkandpedal.org/
Old 05-03-20, 05:49 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Park N Rides
Old 05-03-20, 07:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
I struggled with the decision for a while because it actually took about 20 minutes longer each way for me to drive and bike than it did to bike the whole way from my house due to distance and traffic to/from the mall, and to loading/unloading my bike in the car). Eventually, I returned to my original home to office commute with a few tweaks to the route that has reduced the negative interactions with drivers.
that's what kept me from using our local park & pedal program. I would have to sit in my car, in traffic, for at least 30 minutes just so I could ride an hour on my bike. made more sens to just ride my bike 2 hours. saving 30 minutes wasn't worth the hassle
Old 05-03-20, 10:06 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Prior to this shutdown, I was parking my car at the local airport where I work part-time for a rental car company and then riding my bike into downtown to my full-time job. With it being closed and I don't want to come back to a vandalized car, I've decided to bike all the way into work. It's roughly a 15-19 mile commute each way depending on the routes (about 5 miles on the road to get to the nearest trail which takes me directly to my workplace). It has helped my commute with fewer vehicles on the roads in the mornings when I head out which has been nice. Hopefully, the shutdown will lift soon and I can go back to my normal routine so I don't have to worry about dodging vehicles.