Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disk Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 11:12 AM
Chasboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Disk Brakes

Hi folks, I’ve been noticing the development of disk brakes for bikes and I admit I was pretty skeptical since the discs are so small compared to the actual rim. Can anyone tell me why the disks are effective? I understand that the swept area is larger but isn’t the leverage at a disadvantage with the disc being so close to the hub? I looked for answers online and got no where.

In addition, are the mechanical disk brakes as effective as the hydraulics?
Thanks a lot.
Old 05-11-20, 11:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
In short the smaller size of the disc is offset by the higher clamping force of the caliper, and the disc’s ability to withstand it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-11-20, 11:51 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Chasboy
Can anyone tell me why the disks are effective? I understand that the swept area is larger but isn’t the leverage at a disadvantage with the disc being so close to the hub?
You are absolutely right. Disc brakes are at mechanical disadvantage compared to rim brakes. Disc brakes have to compensate for that by generating more braking force between the disc and the pads, i.e. by exerting more clamping force. They do it. And they do it successfully.

In addition, are the mechanical disk brakes as effective as the hydraulics?
Bicycle brake efficiency is capped by such objective limits as 1) wheel losing traction and beginning to skid, or 2) bicycle flipping over the front wheel. So, if your braking system can provide enough braking force to reach these objective limits, your braking system is obviously as efficient as any braking system can possibly be. Mechanical disc brakes easily reach these limits, which means that they are equally as effective as hydraulic ones.

The parameter that might differ here is not the efficiency, but rather the precision of the braking system, a.k.a. "modulation". I.e. how easy it is to precisely control intermediate braking forces from the braking lever. Hydraulic brakes usually offer better modulation than mechanical ones.

Another parameter that might differ is heat resistance. Mechanical brakes usually resist overheating better than hydraulic ones.

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-11-20 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-11-20, 11:52 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Hi folks, I’ve been noticing the development of disk brakes for bikes and I admit I was pretty skeptical since the discs are so small compared to the actual rim. Can anyone tell me why the disks are effective?.
The diameter of the disc rotors is not a limiting factor in the design.
Old 05-11-20, 11:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
You are absolutely right. Disc brakes are at mechanical disadvantage compared to rim brakes. Disc brakes have to compensate for that by generating more braking force between the disc and the pads, i.e. by exerting more clamping force. They do it. And they do it successfully.

Bicycle brake efficiency is capped by such objective limits as 1) wheel losing traction and beginning to skid, or 2) bicycle flipping over the front wheel. So, if your braking system can provide enough braking force to reach these objective limits, your braking system is obviously as efficient as any braking system can possibly be. Mechanical disc brakes easily reach these limits, which means that they are equally as effective as hydraulic ones.

The parameter that might differ here is not the efficiency, but rather the precision of the braking system, a.k.a. "modulation". Hydraulic brakes usually offer better modulation than mechanical ones.

Another parameter that might differ is heat resistance. Mechanical brakes usually resist overheating better than hydraulic ones.

I was getting ready to type out a response, but you said it better than I would have. I prefer mechanicals only because for me they are easier to work on. I have ridden rim brakes and various mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes. The only time I had an issue I couldn't resolve myself was with hydraulics.
Old 05-11-20, 01:53 PM
Chasboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hypothetically, if the disk and caliper were located out near the rim, (the disk would be about 26” in diameter), wouldn’t less clamping pressure be required, leaving everything else the same?
Old 05-11-20, 02:14 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Hypothetically, if the disk and caliper were located out near the rim, (the disk would be about 26” in diameter), wouldn’t less clamping pressure be required, leaving everything else the same?
Yeah but the disk would be big and heavy.....

Google Buell motorcycle if you want to see what that looks like
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-11-20, 02:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Yes, a 26” rotor would require much less clamping force than a 6” rotor.

Is there a point?
Old 05-11-20, 02:21 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've been kicked off an MTB with 203mm front rotor without exerting much force. As others have said, there's no need to go larger. The advantage to smaller rotors are weight and ground clearance -- the latter results in less contamination from ground spray.
Old 05-11-20, 02:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
My mechanical disc brakes stop about as effectively as a good set of rim brakes. And they are all perfectly adequate.

My hydro disc brakes generate muuuuch more stopping power than that, which allows me to more easily modulate my speed on some of the very steep descents around here -- I can do it without having to death grip the brake levers.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-11-20, 02:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
the pad's surface to the rotor impacts the longevity for braking. Too small of a pad can lead to glazing while sacrificing the ability to stop as intended.
Old 05-11-20, 03:17 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Bike wheels often develop slight wobbles. If rim brakes were really close to the rim, they would rub. So rim brakes are set up with a fairly large gap between the rim and the brakes. When you apply the brakes, there is a fairly large distance for the brake to travel before it contacts the rim. Because rim brakes are designed for this large movement, less force is applied to the brakes.

With disc brakes, the pads can be less than half a millimetre from the disk. Because there is much less movement in disc brakes, the same amount of force on the brakes lever results in much more pressure on the disc pads.
Old 05-11-20, 03:51 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by alo
Bike wheels often develop slight wobbles. If rim brakes were really close to the rim, they would rub. So rim brakes are set up with a fairly large gap between the rim and the brakes. When you apply the brakes, there is a fairly large distance for the brake to travel before it contacts the rim. Because rim brakes are designed for this large movement, less force is applied to the brakes.
I’m not sure what this means, but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-11-20, 04:05 PM
Chasboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes, a 26” rotor would require much less clamping force than a 6” rotor.

Is there a point?
yes, I’m just trying to get it clear in my mind that for the disk more pressure is required, contact patch is increased and the technology to exert the pressure needed is available in the caliper design, which apparently it is. Rim brakes don’t exert that much pressure and the rim contact patch as well as it’s stability is not as good as the disk.
Old 05-11-20, 04:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m not sure what this means, but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong.
Maybe not well articulated, but Alo is basically correct (if I am reading him correctly).

On rim brakes, since the brake pads need to cover more distance before hitting the rim, the mechanical advantage of the lever over the pads needs to be less less (so that more pad travel distance can be covered as you pull the lever).

Part of the reason that disc allows more mechanical advantage of the levers over the pads is that the pads can be set up very close to the rotor, so you can set up the system with the lever having more mechanical advantage over the pads without spending a whole bunch of lever throw just reaching the rotor.

Not sure If I explained that any better, but there you go.
Old 05-11-20, 05:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Just to be clear, the wheel that loses traction is the rear wheel. The front wheel can’t skid on a bicycle. The rider will flip over the front wheel before that happens. Rim brakes can easily reach the same limit as any rim mounted disc brake.

The parameter that might differ here is not the efficiency, but rather the precision of the braking system, a.k.a. "modulation". I.e. how easy it is to precisely control intermediate braking forces from the braking lever. Hydraulic brakes usually offer better modulation than mechanical ones.

Your definition of modulation is correct but it’s not something that I have ever experienced with hydraulics. Hydraulics have always been powerful in my experience but it’s just raw power. Trying to control it in those places where intermediate braking is needed is not easy. Every hydraulic I’ve used has been grabby with control always on the edge of disaster. Mechanical (and rim brakes, for that matter) provide exactly the intermediate control as you describe it.

Hint, look at a rim and rim brake caliper. Look at a hub mounted disc and the caliper. Notice something? They are exactly the same. Same principle and very similar mechanism. They only differ in pad material. That is why hub mounted discs are somewhat better (but only somewhat). A rim brake could be made that is just as effective as a hub mounted disc if we were willing to use steel rim and sintered metal pads.

My mechanical disc brakes stop about as effectively as a good set of rim brakes. And they are all perfectly adequate.

My hydro disc brakes generate muuuuch more stopping power than that, which allows me to more easily modulate my speed on some of the very steep descents around here -- I can do it without having to death grip the brake levers.
I haven’t ever had “a death grip” on any brake lever. I’ve mountain bike and ridden heavily loaded touring bikes...both road and off-road...with nearly every brake system around. Even with old center pull Weinmann’s, never had a death grip. The only brake that I’ve ever had to be cautious with is hydraulic. I never found them to have a middle ground...only on and off.

Originally Posted by alo
Bike wheels often develop slight wobbles. If rim brakes were really close to the rim, they would rub. So rim brakes are set up with a fairly large gap between the rim and the brakes. When you apply the brakes, there is a fairly large distance for the brake to travel before it contacts the rim. Because rim brakes are designed for this large movement, less force is applied to the brakes..
If the wheels wobble, fix the wobble. Hub mounted rotors can just as easily develop a wobble and rub. Removing the wobble is much harder than taking it out of a rim. Spokes are easier to minor adjustments because it’s just a simple tension adjustment. Rotors require bending that is far less precise.

You also have the distance argument wrong. Rim brakes don’t need to have a huge gap between the rim and the pad. They are often set up with a huge gap between the rim and the pad. Most bikes are adjusted so that the pad doesn’t hit the rim until about the lever has moved about half way to the bar. I don’t care what Sheldon Brown says, that makes for very mushy brakes and what many people experience when they use poorly set up rim brakes.

Originally Posted by alo
With disc brakes, the pads can be less than half a millimetre from the disk. Because there is much less movement in disc brakes, the same amount of force on the brakes lever results in much more pressure on the disc pads.
And here is the reason that many people dislike rim brakes. If the rim brake is set up so that the brake actuates much earlier in the pull, the brakes feel more powerful and the braking feels better. You can detune disc brakes to the same half lever pull and the best hub mounted disc will be the worst brake you have ever used.

yes, I’m just trying to get it clear in my mind that for the disk more pressure is required, contact patch is increased and the technology to exert the pressure needed is available in the caliper design, which apparently it is. Rim brakes don’t exert that much pressure and the rim contact patch as well as it’s stability is not as good as the disk.
A well set up rim brake will exert enough braking force to send a rider over the bars. That’s the limit of braking for bicycle under any brake.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-11-20, 05:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Maybe not well articulated, but Alo is basically correct (if I am reading him correctly).

On rim brakes, since the brake pads need to cover more distance before hitting the rim, the mechanical advantage of the lever over the pads needs to be less less (so that more pad travel distance can be covered as you pull the lever).

Part of the reason that disc allows more mechanical advantage of the levers over the pads is that the pads can be set up very close to the rotor, so you can set up the system with the lever having more mechanical advantage over the pads without spending a whole bunch of lever throw just reaching the rotor.

There is nothing that limits a rim brake from being set up close to the rim. Again, if the rim wobbles, that’s something that can, and should, be fixed. I’ve run my brakes so that the wheel is locked at about half travel of the lever which is similar to how hub mounted discs have to be set up. I currently have bikes with hub mounted discs, dual pivot rim brakes, mixed front disc/rear linear and cantilevers...Oh! The humanity! The cantilevers are actually on the bike that requires the most braking power...a loaded touring bike. I’ve even ridden that one down New Found Gap in North Carolina in a driving rain at around 50mph. I had no problem slowing nor stopping.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-11-20, 05:25 PM
Chasboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thank you all. It’s been enlightening and my questions were answered and then some.
Old 05-11-20, 05:28 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Rim brakes are my preferred brake in dry road conditions. When dry, they are solid and easy to deal with. Disc brakes are at an advantage for MTB as the rim gets in the mud. Disc's stay clean. Discs also work well when wet...just like cars. Mechanical discs seem to be harder to keep adjusted, and always dealing with the rotor rub, or brushing that can be annoying. Some mechanical disc calipers are about useless too. I crashed into someone due to a weak braking system. Hydraulic brakes are much more sensitive and require less effort to squeeze. My wife has arthritis, and this is a benefit for her hands. New hydraulic brake hoses can be very costly to replace or lengthen They all have pros and cons, but some mechanical disc calipers are no good for anything.
Old 05-11-20, 06:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is nothing that limits a rim brake from being set up close to the rim. Again, if the rim wobbles, that’s something that can, and should, be fixed. I’ve run my brakes so that the wheel is locked at about half travel of the lever which is similar to how hub mounted discs have to be set up. I currently have bikes with hub mounted discs, dual pivot rim brakes, mixed front disc/rear linear and cantilevers...Oh! The humanity! The cantilevers are actually on the bike that requires the most braking power...a loaded touring bike. I’ve even ridden that one down New Found Gap in North Carolina in a driving rain at around 50mph. I had no problem slowing nor stopping.
You completely missed my point. Like... completely**. And I think you missed Alo's as well.

Are you claiming that you set your rim brake pads as close to your rim as your disc pads to your rotor? Please think hard before you answer this.

**EDIT: A better way to say that would have been "I don't think we are not talking about the same thing". From your response you seem to think my post is weighing in the relative merits of disc brakes vs rim. It is not.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-11-20 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 06:52 PM
Koyote

Here is what I meant: as long as it is impossible to pull the lever all the way to the handle bar, I think you can develop the same amount of force on the brakes whether the pads are very close to the rims (so don’t need to pull the lever very far), or the pads are just a bit further away (and hence you have to pull the lever is a bit further).

I’m willing to be corrected if I’m wrong...But even if that’s the case, I don’t think there is any advantage in having so little brake lever travel.
Old 05-11-20, 07:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
And in case anybody wondered, and as the OP asked about “Disk” brakes, with a “K”, generally the British use the spelling of “Disc”, while the U.S. it’s typically “Disk”.

I was curious so though I should look it up.
Old 05-11-20, 07:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Here is what I meant: as long as it is impossible to pull the lever all the way to the handle bar, I think you can develop the same amount of force on the brakes whether the pads are very close to the rims (so don’t need to pull the lever very far), or the pads are just a bit further away (and hence you have to pull the lever is a bit further).

I’m willing to be corrected if I’m wrong...But even if that’s the case, I don’t think there is any advantage in having so little brake lever travel.
OK, you and Cylclo seem to be on some other subject entirely from what I (and I believe Alo) are talking about. He was not wrong, you just don't get what he is talking about.

Old 05-11-20, 07:27 PM
Koyote

OK, you and Cylclo seem to be on some other subject entirely from what I (and I believe Alo) are talking about. He was not wrong, you just don't get what he is talking about.
I understand what the two of you are talking about… I just think you’re both wrong.

Please note that you have now told two of us that we don’t understand your arguments. So, perhaps the problem is not with us...?
Old 05-11-20, 07:46 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
For road bikes I feel that discs are a solution in search of a problem. I'm a big guy and rode in the the Santa Cruz mountains for 30 years and never felt my brakes lacked modulation or stopping power. Occasionally rims overheating could be a concern and I would pull off the road to let them cool. But that was pretty rare. The biggest advantage to discs from my experience is that they don't care what size tire you're running and they're self adjusting. Rim brakes are best up to 28m tires and require much more frequent adjustment for me. I don't like adding complexity to a bike and if I was in the market for a new road bike I would be willing continue going with rim brakes. A cross or mountain bike--yes definitely want discs. The worst brakes I had were cantilevers on a touring and mountain bike--maybe I'm not a good mechanic, but I could never get them tuned so they didn't howl and they provided lousy stopping power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.