Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 90s Kestrel 200 SCI. Please HELP!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 04:47 PM
stran1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I recently purchased an early 90s Kestrel 200 SCI (guessing based on Shimano 600/6400 groupset) for $300. Unfortunately, brifters were changed to 105 flight deck (not sure of the model number). I hope that I'm not at a complete loss with this purchase (I think I may have paid too much): paint is pretty crappy (decals removed by 1st owner + chips everywhere, I'm the 3rd owner)--no carbon breaks that I can tell (crude test with a quarter for dead sounds), Shimano 600 groupset besides the brifters, Mavik Open 4 CD with Shimano 600 hubs & 9sp cassette, Nitto stem, FX Sakae handlebar, random comfort saddle with KORE aluminum seatpost.

I tried posting the images to the body of the message, but the forum says no URLs allowed until I make 10 posts. How do I submit images for you guys to view?

I'm deferring to the wisdom of this forum for any upgrade recommendations that'll result in a smooth, fast ride. Not worried about weight. I'm currently quarantined in Santa Clara, CA, and I'm also looking for shop recommendations for a tune-up.

Hoping to invest no more than $600 into any suggested upgrades (wondering if that's even a smart move given the age/condition of this bike); can always move components to another frame later, but I love the curves of this classic frame. Thinking about wet sanding it to give it a raw carbon look (please let me know if that's a dumb idea). I have only ever owned one other full carbon bike: 2012 GT GTR Carbon Elite Shimano 105 groupset, so I'm still wet behind the ears with regards to road bikes.

I've read up on many of the previous Kestrel 200 SCI posts in an attempt to understand what I've gotten myself into (buy now, worry later scenario). Any advice/suggestion is much appreciated! Thanks in advance for everyone's time & expertise!

-Steven

Last edited by stran1989; 05-21-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 07:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Welcome

More later....

I'm back. That 200 Series is a tough bird. It can be fast, but given the age, relative weight, and stiffness, the build is the devil and the devil is in the details. While the group you use is not always able to be swapped in/out, my recommendation is you choose your wheels wisely. Try to find "lively" wheels, or get your wheels trued and tensioned.

They are not "agile" frames, but they can be. Go light, tight, and you'll be alright.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-20 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 08:16 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
If the shifters and the cassette are the same number of speeds, you are fine. 640X will easily shift 8-9-10 speed components.
Clean it up, tune it up, ride it.

Oh, and yeah, welcome to the Forum.
Old 05-21-20, 09:33 PM
stran1989

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't wait to get this bad boy tuned up and on the trail!

-Steven
Old 05-21-20, 09:42 PM
stran1989

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
More later....

I'm back. That 200 Series is a tough bird. It can be fast, but given the age, relative weight, and stiffness, the build is the devil and the devil is in the details. While the group you use is not always able to be swapped in/out, my recommendation is you choose your wheels wisely. Try to find "lively" wheels, or get your wheels trued and tensioned.

They are not "agile" frames, but they can be. Go light, tight, and you'll be alright.
I've been patiently waiting for your response to this Kestrel post. I was doing my best to soak up the info that you provided on older threads and can't wait to hear your recommendations. Please bear with me. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to road bikes so I might need explanations in lamen terms.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-20, 12:50 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I am not much help as I have never had one, but only admired them from afar. To me they are sort of a fashion statement- they sort of bike you park, and can't walk away from it without giving it a good look and thinking: damn right. I must be cool as **** to have such a ride.

I totally want one.

I would not try to take the paint off.. way too much trouble. just touch up what you need to. is it the white one?