Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Did a couple of pedal rebuilds!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 10:43 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

After a 4 day ride on the GAP I noticed a bit of clicking in my right pedal. Shimano M520's. So took a bit of time to rebuild them this morning. After a quick run to the bike shop,where I work part-time, I grab some bearings.
Cleaned, new grease and new bearings!
Old 05-25-20, 10:49 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Next time you over haul your hubs pull the axle-bearing out of the pedal and fill the housing with grease. When you install the bearing it will force out the old grease and leave behind the new clean grease.
When you adjusted the bearings I hope you had a little drag which means there is a necessary preload to the bearings.
Old 05-26-20, 01:15 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I remember rebuilding pedals many years ago and having trouble getting the bearing adjustment correct because the cone and locknut are inside the pedal body and cannot be held at the same time. Is there an easier way to do this, or do I just need to give it another try?