Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

MTB helmet for road cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 06:52 AM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hey,

I am looking to buy an helmet for road cycling, looking at safety first, but also a bit concerned about heat since where I live i'm gonna fry all summer.

Bontrager Rally MIPS helmet is one of the safest helmet according to tests made by Virginia Tech and CR (out of like 85 helmets).

MTB isn't quite road cycling though, so maybe the helmet wasn't really designed for road cycling on very hot roads.

That being said, the Bontrager Specter Wavecell which also look great in both rankings is for road cycling but doesn't seem to offer a lot of ventilation.

What do you guys think about this ?

Last edited by dirtydozen; 06-06-20 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
A friend used that helmet all through last summer here in TN. He didn't mention it being remarkably hot. You might choose a light color.
Old 06-06-20, 07:46 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't see why a MTB helmet would be any hotter than a road helmet. But then some helmets have better ventilation than others.

From my limited knowledge, MTB helmets generally have a visor. Other than that are they really different?

I have a Giro Synthe MIPS (black) and don't have any problems with it being hot.
Old 06-06-20, 08:43 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I ride on and off road. All of my helmets are "mtb" helmets with a visor. All have decent ventilation. I started using a headsweat "skull cap to keep my thin-haired dome from getting burnt thru the vents. Found that it had a side benefit--I actually feel cooler with the skull cap on. Unless you're riding with a "hard core" mtb helmet that doesn't have lots of vents, don't see a problem. If you don't like the visor, they just snap off or on.
Old 06-06-20, 08:52 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
The Rally doesn't look too bad on vents. Beside visor a little better protection back and sides of helmet. Maybe get a lighter color if possible may help a little on heat. Go with what works for you.

Old 06-06-20, 09:09 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I have a Kali Therapy, road, the Alchemy is a trail helmet. Great helmet especially for $100.
Old 06-06-20, 09:10 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I have a Kali Therapy, road, the Alchemy is a trail helmet. Great helmet especially for $100. They scored among the best in CR.
Old 06-06-20, 10:26 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you ride in the drops and your helmet has a visor, you may have restricted vision in front of you. For me, I can't see the car crossing the centerline 100yds in front of me, so a visor is a no-go.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 06-06-20, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
MTB helmets have a built in Brim, with road helmets we put a cap on then put the helmet on..
Old 06-06-20, 11:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It doesn't matter which one you use. You won't feel any difference between MTB helmet and road helmet and they both offer the same amount of protection.
Old 06-06-20, 11:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have a mtb helmet I use in the winter because it's big enough for a hat underneath. I have never had any problem with the visor. And it's handy at night when someone refuses to dim their headlights
Old 06-06-20, 04:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I've been using a woman's Rally MIPS for a month. It's heavier than many helmets, but I don;t sweat any more in it than I did in my old lighter Bell. I got a hell of a deal because my head is 61 CM around - $50. It's marked 'out of stock' now, though. It's black and magenta(?). I doubt that women's helmets affect one's hormone balance. The Rally MIPS seems to be on sale everywhere for $120 and some places for $80, but I liked the $50/price.
Old 06-06-20, 08:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
If you ride in the drops and your helmet has a visor, you may have restricted vision in front of you. For me, I can't see the car crossing the centerline 100yds in front of me, so a visor is a no-go.
One year on a rail-trail ride (unpaved) my neck and shoulder areas were really painful. Turned out the culprit was me trying to tilt my head far enough back to see underthe visor. Remove the visor and within a few kilometres the pain was gone. Now I just use sunglasses and leave the visor off.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 07:00 AM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you every one of you guys for your answers ! Helps me a lot.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It doesn't matter which one you use. You won't feel any difference between MTB helmet and road helmet and they both offer the same amount of protection.
I can believe I won't feel the difference, but the amount of protection won't be the same. Not necessary comparing MTB and road helmets, but some helmets are (way) better than others at protecting. They all pass the cpsc helmet certification of course but protection can go higher than that. Even helmets that look similar and that come from the same brand have really different positions in the thirdparty rankings!