Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

8 speed freewheel question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 08:41 PM
mko123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear All,

I was wondering if you could kindly help me. I have a somewhat unusual situation, which I'll summarize briefly:

I own a Tern Link D8, which I purchased in 2015. Several years ago I unfortunately had to replace the rims, and that started a sequence of events which were:

-I (unknowingly) replaced the rear wheel with a freewheel hub, and even though my bike was previously an 8 speed (I believe using a cassette), I had replaced the rear wheel with a 7 speed freewheel.
-The 7 speed freewheel actually worked and still works fine, but I have recently wanted to replace it, as I'm often pedaling too fast when going down hill (which I attribute to the fact that it's a 14-28t design).
-I would prefer not to replace the entire rear wheel with a new hub that would allow me to install a cassette. Therefore, I was hoping that I could just upgrade from my 7 speed freewheel to an 8 speed freewheel. I have learned that these are hard to find, and may come with issues. Nevertheless, I did find one with an 11-34t design, from a company called DNP (posted on Amazon).

So, with all the above, my questions are: what issues (if any?) will I encounter if I switch to the 8 speed freewheel hub that I identiifed? Will the installation be as trivial as removing the existing freewheel, screwing on the new one, and possibly replacing the chain?

Thanks in adavance for your help.

Best Regards,

Mko.
Old 06-06-20, 09:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Broken axles.. the hub bearing on the drive side is a long ways away from the dropout, so all that length is leverage, flexing the axle.

they break just inside of the cone.

freehubs moved that bearing close to the dropout, making it part of the freehub driver assembly.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-20 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 06:26 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
How heavy are you?

An 8-speed freewheel is most likely longer overall than a 7-speed on. Let me check my Sacks 8-speed corncob one to confirm that.

Yes an 8-speed freewheel is longer overall. That means you might require a longer axle and that greatly increases the chance of bending or breaking the axle because the right hand cone is so far inboard of the axle end compared to a freehub. Incidentally freehubs were invented to cure the problem of broken axles. The heavier the load on the rear wheel the greater risk of breaking a rear axle.

Here's an image of a Shimano 7-speed freewheel and my Sachs 8-speed corncob freewheel. You van see how much longer the 8-speed freewheel is.

Here's an image showing where the bearings are located on a Freehub and on a Freewheel. The red dots are the bearings.

Here's an image of where a freewheel axle most commonly breaks.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 06-07-20 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added comments and images
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-07-20, 09:16 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
What size is the chainring(s) on your crankset ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-07-20, 10:38 AM
mko123

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Miele Man , much appreciated.

Just so I understand: if I choose to accept the greater risk of axle fracture, is the upgrade as simple as unscrewing the existing freewheel (with tool), screwing on the replacement, and possibly replacing the chain with an 8 speed chain? (Again, I already have an 8 speed shifter and derailleur on the bike). I'm not that heavy (175 pounds).

Homebrew01 I believe that the size of chainring is 52t.

Best Regards,

Marko
Old 06-07-20, 10:52 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mko123

Just so I understand: if I choose to accept the greater risk of axle fracture, is the upgrade as simple as unscrewing the existing freewheel (with tool), screwing on the replacement, and possibly replacing the chain with an 8 speed chain? (Again, I already have an 8 speed shifter and derailleur on the bike). I'm not that heavy (175 pounds).

Best Regards,

Marko
You don't have to change to an 8 speed chain. 6,7 and 8 are interchangeable.

Because the 8 speed is wider, the hub would be further to the left, ie the rim would be also, so you have to redish the wheel.

A simpler way would be to keep the rear as it is and get a bigger chainring.

But in the long run, getting a freehub wheel would be better. Even 6 speed is risky. My mother had a bent axle and she is much lighter than you (asian average sized lady).
Old 06-07-20, 02:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mko123

Best Regards,

Marko
As another poster noted and the images I posted show, the 8-speed freewheel will be longer than the 7-speed one. therefore, unless your locknut on the axle is far out from the smallest cog on the 7-speed freewheel you'll most likely need a longer axle and also need to redish the rim. that means moving the rim back to center after installing a new axle if a new axle is needed.

If you're determined to use an 8-speed freewheel (plus a high chance of breaking an axle*) then I suggest fitting the 8-speed freewheel on the existing wheel and see if the axle and locknut protrude far enough out past the 8-speed freewheel so that a new axle is not needed.

Cheers

* How far away from home might you be if that axle with an 8-speed freewheel breaks? If the axle breaks do you have far to walk to get to alternate transportation, or will you be able to sit/wait in the shade whilst you call for a ride and wait to be picked up?

I really recommend that you get a new wheel and an 8-speed cassette if you can afford the There's a HUGE difference in the strength of a freehub wheel over a freewheel wheel. the freehub wheel is a LOT more worry free.

Sorry about the chain comment. I forgot that you weren't going to a 9-speed system.
Old 06-07-20, 04:13 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
None other than Sheldon Brown himself advised me to avoid doing this due to the axle breaking potential. That was enough for me
Likes For Point: