Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Decent Grip / twist shifters 2020

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 03:32 PM
bongo_x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Started riding again. My street bike has SRAM Attack 8 speed twist shifters (Shimano compatible) and the grips are melting off, apparently that's a thing that happens. They're working fine otherwise, but it looks like you can't replace the grips and it seems like my only choice is to replace the whole shifters. Which sucks.

I'm having trouble figuring out what decent twist shifters are in 2020 I want something good and reliable that will work with my old XT and 8 speed. Not wanting to change out a lot of parts that are working fine. There seems to be a few options, but almost no info on how well any of them work. All I can find is people replacing cheap shifters on kids bikes.

It's cool if you like triggers, but I'm not interested.
Old 06-12-20, 04:59 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by bongo_x
Started riding again. My street bike has SRAM Attack 8 speed twist shifters (Shimano compatible) and the grips are melting off, apparently that's a thing that happens. They're working fine otherwise, but it looks like you can't replace the grips and it seems like my only choice is to replace the whole shifters. Which sucks.

I'm having trouble figuring out what decent twist shifters are in 2020 I want something good and reliable that will work with my old XT and 8 speed. Not wanting to change out a lot of parts that are working fine. There seems to be a few options, but almost no info on how well any of them work. All I can find is people replacing cheap shifters on kids bikes.

Decent, probably few. I used a Shimano Revoshift on a folding bike though and it worked. It was a plasticky POS, but it did its function.

That worked ok and almost anything should be better built, so you should be able to find alternatives.
Old 06-12-20, 05:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sram Sued Shimano to get a slice in the big OEM market many years ago, its the American way..

Maybe the after market ones are better than the ones the (cost conscious) factory installations use..
Old 06-12-20, 08:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Where are you located? I have a pair of slightly used SRAM 8-speed MRX GRIPSHIFT shifters. Even have the box they came in. PM me if you're interested in those.

Cheers
Old 06-12-20, 09:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts

Attacks are the best 8sp shifters, period. A lot of right side Attack shifters available on eBay, and some grip replacement parts. About a year ago I got two full sets of Attacks on eBay for cheap.
Old 06-12-20, 09:40 PM
bongo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Attacks are the best 8sp shifters, period. A lot of right side Attack shifters available on eBay, and some grip replacement parts. About a year ago I got two full sets of Attacks on eBay for cheap.
I was worried that the rubber on older ones would be just as bad as the ones I have.
Old 06-13-20, 11:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I was worried that the rubber on older ones would be just as bad as the ones I have.
I've been lucky with the used ones and NOS ones I've gotten.

Even mid-80s NOS road brake lever hoods i got the other day are just fine.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-13-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. that depends on their storage conditions.. (unknown)
Old 06-13-20, 03:04 PM
bongo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've been lucky with the used ones and NOS ones I've gotten.

Even mid-80s NOS road brake lever hoods i got the other day are just fine.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 06-13-20, 11:29 PM
bongo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went digging through my boxes of parts and found an old set of gripshift 800x. Weird because they don't look like the ones I see on the internets. They're not clear, not x-ray, and the grips are just like the attack shorty grips I see, except they're the internally ribbed replaceable kind. Also realized my Attacks were not the shorties.

It seems a lot of people think the Attacks were better than the 800x, so ordered some shorty Attacks on ebay at least to have them, and decide what to do next.

800x

800x
Old 06-19-20, 10:33 PM
bongo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got the Attacks I ordered and they are totally different than the ones I had. These are almost exactly like my old 800's, I think the model number is even 800 something. These don't have the internal coil spring.

I guess we'll see.
Old 06-20-20, 09:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

So I got the Attacks I ordered and they are totally different than the ones I had. These are almost exactly like my old 800's, I think the model number is even 800 something. These don't have the internal coil spring.

I guess we'll see.
I guess I never realized Attack went that far back. My favorite style is the 803-80. I also have 805-86, which are still good, but the grips aren't as grippy.
Old 06-21-20, 10:34 PM
bongo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installed them and rode and they were fine. I think I like the newer Attacks I had better, the older ones seem to require a little more force, but they work great and I like the grips better. Amazing that the grips seem like new after all this time, so do my old 800's.

I really wish the newer grips were replaceable (and didn't melt off). In the 90's you could even buy third party replacement grips, and some of them came as sets with the GS and handlebar grips that matched. Making grips that fall apart AND aren't replaceable is quite the decision.