Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmet Mirror Recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 08:46 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

I am thinking of trying a helmet mirror. There is a bunch to select from. The EVT Safe Zone Mirror seems to be rated pretty high. What one would you recommend ?

thanks,
Bob
Old 06-15-20, 09:14 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I think more than anything, a helmet mirror requires practice. I got one several years back, tried it briefly on a rail trail leading to a road gap and decided it wasn't really worth the bother. But cycling in the time of Corona encouraged riding more on roads with lightened traffic rather than trails where others were, so I started using the mirror again and quickly came to love it, by which I mean develop the skill of getting useful information from it while still paying attention to where I'm going.

Earlier in all of this I was going to get a "better" one.

But the reality is that the one I had was basically fine, I just had to learn to use it.

I suspect it's nearly meaningless but my purchase history says what I have is a "PRO STAR Bicycle Helmet Mirror" - and the point is that it is something I wouldn't have recommended when I'd only used it briefly but now that I've used it a lot find it actually works.

In addition to traffic, it's useful for keeping track of the rest of a group, though I find I can't distinguish details very far out. I also find I have trouble telling a car that just passed me going the opposite way, from one approaching - mostly I figure that out by checking repeatedly if they are getting nearer. There's also a lot of cross-queuing from vehicle noise, eg hear a truck behind you but see that he's in the process of changing to the left lane to go past.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-15-20 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 10:17 PM
frogman

Thanks for the info. I am using a handlebar mounted mirror now and it sticks out from the side and I am constantly bumping it when rolling the bike back into the garage, etc. With the helmet mirror so close to your eyes I hope I don't get distracted when I am tring to keep my eyes on the road. I guess the only way I will find out is to try it. I am also riding more on local streets now with the Pandemic giving a lot less traffic.
Old 06-15-20, 10:20 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Attached to my glasses, take-a-look attaches quickly and I can track cars coming up on me and see where they'll pass and judge how close. When there is an extra lane (90 pct of the time on my route), I take control of the lane and make them pass.
Likes For gios:
Old 06-16-20, 02:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Take-A-Look. I have them on two of my three helmets (not on the aero helmet). Old and new neck and shoulder injuries make 'em a must. Occasionally I'll skip the mirrors when I use the aero helmet to chase PRs, but only when I'm willing to suffer.

It's a good mirror for the money. Tough, easy to adjust, 1:1 so I get a better sense of distance and overtake speed.

My Sprintech drop bar bar-end mirrors are good but not 1:1 so I don't notice distant vehicles or cyclists approaching, and it's harder to quickly guesstimate distance and overtake speed.

Some folks worry about the hard edges and sharp corners of the Take-A-Look. Valid concern, if improbable.

I like the easy adjustability, including flipping it up out of my eye line. On some stretches of road at night I want an uninterrupted view of the road sides to watch for critters. Presumably any vehicle approaching from behind will use headlights so the mirror is less essential -- and I still do have a Sprintech bar end mirror on both drop bar road bikes.

Mounting can be tricky. I use a homemade doodad cut from a store discount plastic card blank, and two or three zip ties, to secure the mirror to the helmet while allowing wiggle room for adjustments. On the other helmet, a POC, I'm using Scotch mounting putty, since the vent design doesn't quite lend itself to the plastic card and zip tie doodad on my Bell helmet.

I tried the Take-A-Looks on my glasses -- sunglasses, clear safety glasses. Works okay but I prefer 'em on my helmets.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-16-20, 03:41 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I use Take-a-Look mounted on the helmet visor. I tried Third Eye but it didn’t hold position as well for me.

I do unimproved trail riding at times and clear vegetation. I’ve learned the hard way that I have to remove the mirror whenever I do that, because it snags and I lose it.
Old 06-16-20, 12:39 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I've been using a Tiger Eye Helmet mount mirror for the past year and a half. Takes a little getting used to but stays in place and works for me.
Old 06-16-20, 03:26 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I have big dorky looking helmet mounted mirror that I use on my old beater mountain bike. For road biking, I use the Take a look. Despite the mirror being smaller, it actually works better.
Old 06-16-20, 03:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I am thinking of trying a helmet mirror. There is a bunch to select from. The EVT Safe Zone Mirror seems to be rated pretty high. What one would you recommend ?

thanks,
Bob
Those mirrors are really good. I struggle with both the looks and I get it snagged on hanging stuff in my garage wearing it. I love the Third Eye mirror with the screw clamp - except I find it doesn't bite the edges of the helmets I use well so like the poster above, I find it doesn't stay in position, Years ago I used my fiberglass skills to make a custom bracket that I mount on the helmet with two small screws. End of problem. Been using that system now for my last 5 helmets. What sucks its that I have to make another mount when I change helmet styles. (The mounts would outlive many helmets.)

Ben
Old 06-19-20, 07:39 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I have Take-A-Look mirror on my sunglasses, and love them. I was hit from behind many years ago, and since then I will not ride without a mirror. I like the sun-glass mirror so I can use different helmets with no need to purchase multiple mirrors.
Old 06-19-20, 01:00 PM
CadenceCrazy

Bikes: Nashbar CR5 Ultegra, Trek 2300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a Clear View Micro Mirror Clearview Micro Mirror ? Cycling safety just became cool! It has a very small, short mirror that magnetically mounts to the helmet. It took me about 30 minutes to get comfortable with the size and location but is now my preferred mirror. I have no idea regarding the quality of online ordering since I bought it at a bike expo.
Old 06-19-20, 04:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22585 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Not to hijack, but I want to use a glasses mirror and tried the take-a-look. I used it twice. Both times I felt “carsick” from the images in the mirror even though I tried to only look at the mirror occasionally. It was quite unpleasant.

Is that something you get used to, like getting “sea legs??”
Old 06-19-20, 05:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Not to hijack, but I want to use a glasses mirror and tried the take-a-look. I used it twice. Both times I felt “carsick” from the images in the mirror even though I tried to only look at the mirror occasionally. It was quite unpleasant.

Is that something you get used to, like getting “sea legs??”
Yup, you can get accustomed to the mirror. I hated the Take-A-Look the first week I used it. Very disorienting and distracting. By the second week I was less tempted to rip it off and toss it in the gutter. By the third week I figured, eh, okay.

Now after a couple of years I feel uncomfortable riding without it. Even when I'm walking I glance up to my left looking for my mirror.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-22-20, 10:54 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman

thanks,
Bob
I've been using an EVT Safe Zone mirror for around 3 months now. Yes, it's about the ugliest helmet mounted mirror on the planet. BUT... It also gives the steadiest, widest, clearest view to the rear of any mirror I've tried in 30 years. It is a large mirror that needs to be off set to the left in order to keep it out of your forward field of view. I have it fixed to the helmet with nylon cable ties, and it stays in place solidly. 'Spose I could use a belt and suspenders combination of velcro dots and the ties, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

It can be a bit "fiddley" to get adjusted initially. I recommend doing that while riding in an empty parking lot or other low traffic area. But once you've found your "sweet spot", it's unlikely you'll need to repeat the process very often.

Yes, it looks dorky, but the view it offers is more than worth a couple sideways looks.

Now if I were maybe 30 years younger and worried about looking "cool", it might not be my first choice. But I'm 30 years more risk adverse, so I love it.

Last edited by bmcer; 06-22-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 01:17 PM
frogman

[QUOTE=bmcer;21547417]I've been using an EVT Safe Zone mirror for around 3 months now. Yes, it's about the ugliest helmet mounted mirror on the planet. BUT... It also gives the steadiest, widest, clearest view to the rear of any mirror I've tried in 30 years. It is a large mirror that needs to be off set to the left in order to keep it out of your forward field of view. I have it fixed to the helmet with nylon cable ties, and it stays in place solidly. 'Spose I could use a belt and suspenders combination of velcro dots and the ties, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

It can be a bit "fiddley" to get adjusted initially. I recommend doing that while riding in an empty parking lot or other low traffic area. But once you've found your "sweet spot", it's unlikely you'll need to repeat the process very often.

Yes, it looks dorky, but the view it offers is more than worth a couple sideways looks.

Now if I were maybe 30 years younger and worried about looking "cool", it might not be my first choice. But I'm 30 years more risk adverse, so I love it.[/QUOTE

I am also past the age of being concerned if I look dorky, haha. I bought one of the EVT mirrors and will take it on its maiden voyage today. I have been fiddling with it sitting in the living room and have it mounted where I think I have a good starting point. I see what you mean about off setting it to the left. Thanks for the feedback on the mirror !
Likes For frogman:
Old 06-22-20, 01:48 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Glad I could provide some useful input!
Old 06-22-20, 07:36 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 131 Posts
I've used several, and settled on the Hubbub a few years ago. Mounts easily (and not permanently) to the helmet, sits closer to the face so it is less obtrusive, and the field of view is plenty large.
Highly recommended.
HTH.
-NJg.