Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for tan walled tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 05:58 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Anyone has a favorite tan walled tire in the normal 700C size 28-32mm? The usual requests are price/value $$$, comfort, rolling resistance, puncture resistance etc. Riding will be mostly for group rides, light commuting and some off road hard compact surfaces.

TIA...
Old 06-26-20, 06:03 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Look on BikeTiresDirect.com
Old 06-26-20, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Anyone has a favorite tan walled tire in the normal 700C size 28-32mm? The usual requests are price/value $$$, comfort, rolling resistance, puncture resistance etc. Riding will be mostly for group rides, light commuting and some off road hard compact surfaces.

TIA...
My favorite is the Vittoria Corsa G+ tires (which are now G 2.0) probably the best road tires on the planet. I also really love Challenge tires (minus the difficulty in installing them) and I can get those in wider sizes in the nice light supple tan walls I love.

If Veloflex didn't just come out with 28mm tires probably kicking and screaming I would recommend them as they look like really nice tires but skinny tires are too old school in a bad way. I love old school but narrow tires aren't part of that.
Old 06-26-20, 09:21 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I like the panaracer GravelKing slicks. They're currently on sale at somafabshop.com too. I've got the 28s on my daughters bike, 38s on one of my bikes, and just ordered a set of 32s for another.
Old 06-27-20, 06:09 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Veloflex Corsa Evo and Pirelli Velos are my two favorite. Both come in tan side wall.

You might look at Panaracer too.
Old 06-27-20, 06:17 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Panaracer Paselas are decent tires if you are on a budget. Lots of folks on the Classic/Vintage forum use them as the default skin wall.
The Rene Herse tires get great reviews for suppleness and road feel, but they are pricey and not known for flat protection.
I have Soma Supple Vitesse tires on a couple bikes and like them a lot.
Old 06-27-20, 10:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Do you want tubeless?

GravelKings are the obvious choice: not very pricey, good rolling resistance, high quality and durable.

I really like and recommend Rene Herse tires but they're pricey and paper thin. Still, they ride like nothing else especially if you set them up tubeless.

Donnelly LCVs are also great but also expensive.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-27-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 11:02 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
One tire on my list is the Panaracer Race D Evo4. Should have a stickier compound than the Gravelking. The gravelking/gravelking plus is much more popular though.

Rene Herse, Spz Turbo Cotton, Vittoria Corsa, Veloflex Corsa, Challenge, Pirelli P Zero Classic, Bontrager R3/R4, Schwalbe One... that’s all I know.

I personally would not recommend the P Zero for wider rims (19mm+) and the Schwalbe One looks really cheesy to my eye, probably because it’s fake tanwall. Though I believe the P Zero and Gravelking are too.
Old 06-28-20, 12:49 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
For what it's worth, I like the 35mm gravel kings that are mounted on my gravel bike, smooth and durable, but I'm sure the other tires mentioned would work well too.

Can't really go wrong with any of those brands other posters have mentioned.