Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identifying and fixing a Bianchi bike!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-28-20, 11:29 PM
AnotherFlower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old Bianchi which I believe is a 1985 (?) Nuovo alloro or torfeo. Any help identifying it would be amazing.

As of right now, it's in rough shape. While not overly bike-savvy, I want to make this bike my own.

As such, I'm in need of help looking for suggestions on what to fix, replace, or upgrade on the bike
bike.

I believe I am going to have to replace the wheels as they aren't straight. They are 700 x 25c and am not sure if there is a specific type of tire/rim that is require for rear. The brake and gear cable is rusted heavily in some areas and will probably be replaced as well. In addition, I think new brake pads are needed, but am also unsure if a specific brake pad is required for different bike tires.
Old 06-29-20, 04:33 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 239 Posts
First, get up to ten posts, spread over two days, and then you can post pictures. To get your posts, tell us, in different posts, not all in one post...

- how you got the bike
- where you live
- how tall you are
- male or female

And stuff like that that you think might prove of interest, or help, to us.

Now get busy with those posts and then let's see your Bianc?i. Does it look like this one that I found at the dump last summer..?
Old 06-29-20, 07:51 AM
AnotherFlower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll get on those posts!

The bike is very similar to the one in your picture. Frame and handset look identical in shape, however my frame is black instead of blue. I cannot see clearly in the picture, but my bike also comes with brown/tan non-aero hoods as well.

Otherwise the brakes, gear system (12 gears total I think?) and pedals also look identical
Old 06-29-20, 08:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 515 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 561 Posts
It's definitely not a Nuovo Alloro or Trofeo. Those were mid-range, Italian models. The subject bicycle is an upper entry level Japanese manufactured model based on the Ishiwata Magny tubing and Shimano Z-series components. The presence of the chrome fork suggests a Canadian market model. Era is circa 1984 -1985. Depending on the exact year, it could be either a Bici II or one of the Strada variants. The serial number will tell us the exact year.

Too many photos for an assist. Link to OP's photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/521674
Old 06-29-20, 10:57 AM
AnotherFlower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a sticker that says Ishikawa Magny and lots of Shimano parts. Where should I find a serial number and/or what other identifying features can be used to distinguish between whether it may be a Bici II or Strada variant?
Old 06-29-20, 11:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 515 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 561 Posts
The serial number would typically be stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket shell or near the bottom of the seat tube.
Old 06-29-20, 01:00 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, Faggin Matrix thingy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
It's definitely not a Nuovo Alloro or Trofeo. Those were mid-range, Italian models. The subject bicycle is an upper entry level Japanese manufactured model based on the Ishiwata Magny tubing and Shimano Z-series components. The presence of the chrome fork suggests a Canadian market model. Era is circa 1984 -1985. Depending on the exact year, it could be either a Bici II or one of the Strada variants. The serial number will tell us the exact year.

Too many photos for an assist. Link to OP's photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/521674
I think you hit it. I seem to remember a Speciale model that seems to have been around this bike's level?