Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catastrophic Carbon Fibre Frame Failures

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Catastrophic Carbon Fibre Frame Failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 12:47 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Apparently slightly less famously, it was the aluminum steerer tube of Hincapie's fork that broke, after a previous hard fall.

Equal amusement can be had by looking up "broken steel bike" and "broken titanium bike."
D__n, beat me to it!

Oh well.
Likes For badger1:
Old 07-02-20, 01:43 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I was at a gravel race, at a corner near the finish line. The leading 4 or 5 riders entered the corner together, there was a crash and 3 came down. One of them had his TT and DT broken, only the cables kept the 2 pieces together. The rider crossed the line with the folded remains of his bike over his shoulder.
Old 07-02-20, 02:34 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
It only counts if aluminum or steel or titanium or bamboo would have survived. So, no it doesn't count.
Old 07-02-20, 02:35 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Ubie
Pretty serious, indeed.
This wins the internet in my opinion!
Old 07-02-20, 02:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The only ones I know about in real life are crash related.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-02-20, 02:59 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My avatar bike has had several cracks, but no asplosions. The frame originally came to me as a warranty-replaced cast-off, so I was prepared to fix it up. It's been trouble-free for about 7-8 years now so my patches must have been good enough.
Did you do the repairs yourself?
Old 07-02-20, 04:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
I know a guy in my Strava feed who got a wicked bubble in the chainstay just aft of the bottom bracket. Cool pictures. It might have something to do with his 400 mile weeks though. From what I hear the frame was replaced under warranty.

My frame was replaced under warranty due to a water bottle boss that loosened up. The jury is out whether I caused it or not.

A guy in my cycling group broke a crank arm 40 miles into a 70 mile ride. He finished by riding with the one good leg. My heart goes out to him for that ride. He refused to get dropped. He said it was "A bit tired" by the time he got done.

I talked with a guy that owned a Scattante (Nashbar/Performance rebranded Fuji.) He had brought the bike into the shop to try for a replacement. The down tube was cracked clean around the midpoint & severed clean. He claims he has never put it on a roof carrier with the hook that secures the bike by grabbing the downtube. I had/have no way to verify his statement.

I have a set of older ZIPP 404's with a few spokes that have pulled from the spoke bed with cracks radiating up towards the brake track.

In spite of my previous experiences (above) I think it's necessary to inject some perspective here.

Like anything, everything has it's limits. Overall, I think consumer products are the highest quality & safest they have ever been. Take any 1950's "high quality" bike...They didn't even have sealed bearings or more than a coaster brake. Meaning constant maintenance, frequent rebuilds & repacking, in spite of their technological simplicity. Constant maintenance, frequent overhauls was just an accepted part of owning anything.

Even the cheapest big-box bikes of today have sealed bearings, a wide range of gears & maintenance is little more than cable tension &/or setting a limit screw. A complete overhaul 1950's style doesn't even enter the equation for modern products like the days of yore. The cost of manufacture & execution is so ridiculously low now, there is little point in going to the expense of repair. Even if cones & bearing balls cost in the single digit number of dollars. You can obtain a new bike that will be servicable for many years for less effort than the time it takes to earn the money required for a shop mechanic to do the task.

I'll take carbon any day of the week. Failures are so exceedingly rare that I fear the risk of becoming jaded by all the modern advances in technology.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-02-20, 04:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do. I plowed directly into a curb and it tore the headtube clean off. Note that this impact would have definitely buckled or broken a Al or steel frame as well.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21560100-post135.html

Last edited by caloso; 07-02-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 04:44 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Had a racing partners carbon bike get blown off the roof rack in Santa Ana windstorm while driving down the fwy leaving the carbon fork dropputs in the rack. Not a big fan of full carbon dropouts.
Old 07-02-20, 04:57 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I got a 2012 carbon fiber Team Fuji free. The bike shop threw it away because it had a scratch on the seat stay tube. I picked it up at the county dump. I cleaned & polished the frame. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Fixed it up with some new wheels. Wrapped about a yard of white electric tape over the scratch. Got about 2000 miles on it. No problems so far. (This is a true story. No sh&t).
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 07-02-20, 05:04 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
This is a bit of a misleading question as out-right catastrophic failures are rare.

The better question for carbon frames (and components) would be how many carbon frames have:
- a crack down the seat tube
- a crack on the top tube
- a crack on the down tube
- a crack on the bottom bracket
... all this in many cases where the onwer doesn't even realize it what might have caused it until he happened to discovered said cracks by chance
all these sort of cracks, while not catastrophic failures, are effectively causes of concerns for failures that the owners will have to fix them to have peace of mind

- what about cracked stem due to overtightenng?
- what about cracked carbon handlebars from a simple bike tipover?

- what about imperfect finish, ie., the dreaded "wavy" seat tube or down tube due to crappy molding process?, or the "bubbly paint'?

A buddy had his Specialized fork broke cleanly at the steerer tube while he was riding at ~20 mph on good pavement, but that was enough to send him to the ER room and spent a few days in the hospitals with a busted up face. He quit cycling after that because his wife made him.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 07-02-20, 05:20 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
So based on the responses in this thread, there is no evidence that CF frames fail catastrophically unless involved in a crash or subjected to some other external force.

this,

and now Lets see a show of hands from the BF members that knows people that don't take care of their bikes. Or better, don't ever inspect their bikes or check skewers before riding.
Old 07-02-20, 05:32 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Actually, I used a bunch of CF on my custom steel tour bike. For my lesson, I wrapped 2 legs off a broken fork with 2 or 3 layers of CF with a real hard setting epoxy. Let it set 2 days and then torture time... Put it on the cement floor and hit it harder and harder with a hammer. I barely made a dent in the surface. Pretty sure the cement and my hand suffered more. LOL. Even hitting it where the CF ended wouldn't crush the steel. My vice couldn't even do that much either.
Later with the skinny part of a 70% split fork, I wrapped it with 3 layers and rode 80 miles I think. The CF ripped a few miles from home when I was rocking it at a stoplight. This was the same fork I welded 3 times, so no loss. I wanted to wrap the thing right from the start, but changed my mind.
The seat tube came with a bit of a dent and I was making a pouch anyway, so I wrapped the ST all up to the top.
That part is guaranteed to survive any crash.
Old 07-02-20, 05:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There are thousands of carbon frame, forks and components failures out there...we will never know the exact numbers because all those people who had those failures don't post on bikeforums….People who never had a carbon bike or component fail is because they don't ride their carbon bike hard enough and often enough.
Old 07-02-20, 05:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Does user error count? A friend had to replace a Cervelo S5 because he dropped the chain and sawed through the bb shell. I'm guessing he may have dropped it more than once but I didn't ask
Old 07-02-20, 06:13 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
This is from a buddy of mine who dropped his chain and cracked the downtube. He wasn't aware and kept pedalling a bit, and then kept riding so he could limp home.
While you could say it's user's error, but how many steel frames have you seen cracked like this from a chain drop?

Old 07-02-20, 06:16 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I worked in bike shops long enough ago that the only catastrophic failures that come to mind were failures of steel frames and (especially) forks.
Must be a Walmart.
Old 07-02-20, 06:21 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are thousands of carbon frame, forks and components failures out there...we will never know the exact numbers because all those people who had those failures don't post on bikeforums….People who never had a carbon bike or component fail is because they don't ride their carbon bike hard enough and often enough.
Exactly.

Then those w carbon for brains post endlessly about how 'safe' and 'infinitely fatigue resistant' plastic.. err.. car-bon bikes are.

Truth is.. lots of bikie's have something to eat & a root of sorts over their head--> because of the plastic bike.. which does not make it a safe choice.
Old 07-02-20, 06:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I had a crack on my Langster bottom bracket, that is aluminum and I have seen cracked carbon a few times but not directly saw what caused it. We had an aluminum bike in recently that was dented to hell and I hope that our tech headed my warning not to work on it.
Old 07-02-20, 07:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve seen a fair number of them at my local co-op. It seems carbon doesn’t stand up to garage doors very well. But then, neither does the number of aluminum and steel bikes I’ve seen that have been run into garage doors.

Riding asplosions? Not seen a single one.
I saw a cf frame that was ruined when a guy decided to jam the wrong size seat post into it. While not a splosion, it was ass-adjacent.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-02-20 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-20, 07:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
if you think Carbon Fiber bicycles are bad at exploding, you should see the automobile salvage yards across America that are full of cars that randomly Exploded, and they are steel. Far more steel cars in them than plastic corvettes.

So yeah steel is bad apparently.....

/sarcasmoff
Old 07-02-20, 07:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
you should see the toilets in the workplaces. Those are not made of CF, steel, Ti, or aluminum.
Old 07-02-20, 08:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Equal amusement can be had by looking up "broken steel bike" and "broken titanium bike."
The question was whether people had heard of actual carbon fiber bike failures, not whether carbon fiber is inferior or superior to other materials.
Old 07-02-20, 08:29 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
The only carbon asplosion I personally witnessed was this one time I decided on colonoscopy without anesthesia
(true story)

barrrumpsh
Old 07-02-20, 08:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
And then, there is the grave danger that carbon frame bikes pose to car owners who forget to remove their bikes from roof racke before driving into their garage
https://www.******.com/r/Wellthatsuc...ur_bike_still/
I mean, after seeing this picture I would never buy a carbon fibre bike, I value my car too much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.