Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

5 flats in 4 months !

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

5 flats in 4 months !

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 02:28 PM
Ilovemyride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
5 flats in 4 months !

Help ! What gives ? In all the years I've owned my bike I have not had that many flats.
What are the possibilities that are causing these ?

I have purchased inner tubes from different places. I recently got 25 mm tires instead of 23 mm . I have slight aero rims. I re-spoked ( they are tight ) recently and again I got flat yesterday with really high quality new tires that should NOT allow penetration.
Lets see what other info , I pump up to about 116 psi , I have talc on inner tubes to keep from binding , Im not looking for glass to run over ( lol ) . I think I have everything covered and than this AGAIN !
Old 07-03-20, 02:48 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyride
Help ! What gives ? In all the years I've owned my bike I have not had that many flats.

I have purchased inner tubes from different places. I recently got 25 mm tires instead of 23 mm . I have slight aero rims. I re-spoked ( they are tight ) recently and again I got flat yesterday with really high quality new tires that should NOT allow penetration.
Lets see what other info , I pump up to about 116 psi , I have talc on inner tubes to keep from binding , Im not looking for glass to run over ( lol ) . I think I have everything covered and than this AGAIN !
Uncertain which rims, tires or tubes you have.

But have you considered using a rim tape? (Something like: Velox.) Unless you have found evidence of an external shard of glass or nail or damage to the casing, it might well be pinching come from inside. At 116psi, I would suspect that as well, not just the stuff on the road you run over.

BTW, over the past 5yrs or so, I've had a few instances of outer-tire damage from stuff I rode over but, at ~60psi and using a decent-quality rim tape, I've yet to have a flat in all that time. Of course, my tires are thicker and have tougher anti-puncture guards against road stuff. But I'm convinced the thick rim tape also helps eliminate pressure-related impingement of the rim interior and top of spokes upon the tube.

Something to consider.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-03-20, 02:52 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have no advice or possible cause to pass on to you. However, I went through a spell this spring in which I had at least a dozen flats in a 2 month period. I had flats on a few different bikes, all with good tires and tubes, all wheels in fine shape, The flats were in different areas on good roads. Here in south coastal Delaware, the roads had an incredible amount of junk on them. There was construction waste, glass, nails and screws, strands of wire, etc. It did not make any sense because it was in the middle of the restrictions on travel and the traffic was less than I can remember in many years. I did have two of the flats at the same time on a road, gravel, trail combination ride that were from pieces of wire strand. Also had a few in a couple of days of using latex tubes that were all from small slivers of glass. I even seriously considered giving tubeless a try for the first time.

I have not a flat now in the past two months with at least 1500 miles. The roads have been clearer of debris and I have certainly been more watchful. The two bikes I ride the most just got new tires and tubes mounted on them, even though the previous ones still should have a fair amount of mileage left. You are not the only one that has gone through this. This post is not a help for the flats, just sharing my experience.
Old 07-03-20, 02:59 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would recommend switching to tubeless and using lower pressure
Old 07-03-20, 03:11 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts

Are the punctures on the rim or tire side of the tube? You seem to imply both. Are the punctures in the same location? What brand/model tires are you using?

1) if rim side, then perhaps a spoke is poking thru or burr exists on the rim that is puncturing your tube. A good quality rim strip could help, but best to remove the offending part instead of just covering it up.

2) If tire side, and especially if it's occurring in the same location, perhaps you have a hunk of glass or wire embedded in the tire and it will continue to to puncture until removed.

3) Depending on the tire, high quality could mean many things. For example, a high quality racing tire would not offer much for flat protection, but would offer great stability and traction.

4) A high quality endurance tire would offer the best flat protection. I've used Continental Gatorskin Hardshell and Speciialized Armadillo All Condition Elite. I've had great experience with these tires. I've dug out glass, wires, and goat head thorns embedded on the tread of the tire and those items never reached the tube.
Old 07-03-20, 05:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have no advice or possible cause to pass on to you. However, I went through a spell this spring in which I had at least a dozen flats in a 2 month period. I had flats on a few different bikes, all with good tires and tubes, all wheels in fine shape, The flats were in different areas on good roads. Here in south coastal Delaware, the roads had an incredible amount of junk on them. There was construction waste, glass, nails and screws, strands of wire, etc. It did not make any sense because it was in the middle of the restrictions on travel and the traffic was less than I can remember in many years. I did have two of the flats at the same time on a road, gravel, trail combination ride that were from pieces of wire strand. Also had a few in a couple of days of using latex tubes that were all from small slivers of glass. I even seriously considered giving tubeless a try for the first time.

I have not a flat now in the past two months with at least 1500 miles. The roads have been clearer of debris and I have certainly been more watchful. The two bikes I ride the most just got new tires and tubes mounted on them, even though the previous ones still should have a fair amount of mileage left. You are not the only one that has gone through this. This post is not a help for the flats, just sharing my experience.
Perhaps the only traffic was essential construction vehicles, which shed nails, screws, etc. , and there was not much other traffic to "sweep" the roadways clear.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-03-20, 07:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
First is that the law of averages tend to catch up to us all. I've had seasons with one flat and others with 6 or 7, seems to average about 1 per 1000 miles over time.

"with really high quality new tires that should NOT allow penetration." Really?? who sold you that bill of goods. Any tire with air can and will go flat given enough effort/exposure. One example we see often are wire bits that weave their way through belted tires, like a sewing needle through cloth, and cause a flat that's usually a slow leak and also one that can be hard to find the object that caused the flat. The same piece of wire if not found will reflat future tubes.

116PSI (are you sure it's not 114psi)? how heavy are you? That's way up there on the pressure range most find relevant. My 150lbs sees 90-95psi for my 25mm tires generally, with no pinch flat issues.

Are you able to figure out what causes your flats? Without this feedback one is shooting in the dark. The location and shape of the tube's hole can say volumes about the cause and thus the cure. Andy
Old 07-03-20, 10:40 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
" I recently got 25 mm tires "

What tyres? From my experience the tyres are make or break, unless you have some other undetected flaw in the rim strip or the spokes poking the tube.
Old 07-03-20, 11:22 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I have had similar experience with flats in our area. Poorly maintained roads, glass and debri, and lets not for get the nasty goatheads. I now use Conti Gatorskins and have flats on occasion but not nearly as much as before. It is a harsh ride compared to other road tires but I can put up with the ride rather than fixing flats all the time on the road, although I was getting pretty good at fixing the flats fairly quickly. I see Gatorskin has a hard shell version out now. that must be a real harsh ride. I would have to get a padded tractor seat.
Old 07-03-20, 11:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Find the reason for the flats. First find the flat on the tube. The hole itself may tell you the cause, If not, match it up with the tire and rim. Look for the cause there. The causes could be faulty tube (unlikely to happen several times in different tubes but it cold be a bad run. Valve/valve-tube issues are more likely abuse when pumping. The rim, a sharp spot,. tape not protecting against the spoke holes or having sharp edges or end. The tire. A hole that needs a boot, sharp object - thorn, glass and those tiny car tire wire pieces. Poor tire fit at rim or bead pulling away from the tire. Inner tube caught between the tire and rim. I probably missed a couple.

There are 1 to 5 causes for your flats and they are probably on my list above. It is your job to find and correct them. We can help with the correctoins but the search is up to you. I hope you saved your inner tube because they are the main clues. I am a huge fan of patching tubes because that gives a running record of where they happen and make finding that location on the tire and rim child's play (if you consistently locate your tires the same way on your rim. I center the label at the valve. Some mark their tires.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-04-20, 03:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I re-spoked
Your first step should be to try to determine what is causing the flats.

My guess isn't going to be any better than anybody else. Since you say you recently re-spoked, check your rim tape. The tiniest little arc of uncovered spoke hole will result in frequent flat tires until you get it fixed. That 100 psi you are using will push your inner tube against that exposed arc until it wears through. If you don't find it and fix it, you'll have to keep feeding it inner tubes.
Old 07-05-20, 09:21 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok , ok took some photos and I think I have a clue from all the comments helped me .

Showing my Rim . Tires are brand new very good quality, no holes.

Welp.... For the life of me I dont know why I took off the original cloth and replaced it with this cheap sh*t but I think its my clue.

Pumped up innertube with hole in it . Heard it leaking and followed the hiss. It is coming from where my hand is about opposite side of where valve is .

Hole is where my thumb is ......and yup it appears to be on the inside, unbelievable !
Here are the photos .

Last edited by Ilovemyride; 07-05-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 09:34 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do not see any holes in the cheap plastic rim cover so I am not exactly sure how the innertube tear happened but the plastic literally sucked thru the holes causing concave dimples . I would never run my tires less than 100 psi. Too mushy for my taste and I'm currently about 200 lbs.
Old 07-06-20, 09:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
That looks like a pinch flat, tube caught between rim and tire.
Old 07-06-20, 11:35 AM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote "That looks like a pinch flat, tube caught between rim and tire."

When I install new innertubes I coat them with Argo powder generously . I then fit them inside tire and put on rim . Then I pump , deflate 2 or 3 times, so ie: no pinching . I don't see how that would be it.
Old 07-06-20, 05:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Ok , ok took some photos and I think I have a clue from all the comments helped me .

Showing my Rim . Tires are brand new very good quality, no holes.

Welp.... For the life of me I dont know why I took off the original cloth and replaced it with this cheap sh*t but I think its my clue.

Pumped up innertube with hole in it . Heard it leaking and followed the hiss. It is coming from where my hand is about opposite side of where valve is .

Hole is where my thumb is ......and yup it appears to be on the inside, unbelievable !
Here are the photos .
Rage all you like against flats if it make you feel better but just accept that flats are random events. No pneumatic tire is impervious to punctures. Some do a good job but nothing is perfect. Shout, yell and curse the gods all you like if it makes you feel better but in the end, you’ll just have to realize that flats happen.

As for your particular problem, that looks like the tube extended down into the spoke hole through the rim strip. The rubber probably looks like it has a little pimple in it towards the rim. I’ve been having this issue a lot lately as well. I have not been able to find the part of the rim strip that appears to be weak and have even changed rim strips. At this point, it has happened so often that I’m not convinced that it is a rim strip problem. I have always worked under the idea that tube are expandable and have used undersized tubes but I’m beginning to think that the rubber being used for new tubes isn’t as flexible as it once was. The tubes aren’t expanding as much as they should and they are tearing at the spoke hole where push down into the rim strip. I’ve been using larger tubes (closer to the size of the tire) lately and, so far, they have worked where I’ve tried them.

Finally, as for tubeless, the tubeless tire is no more or less prone to punctures. The Schwalbes you are using are tubeless ready but put them on and run over something sharp and they will flat. What makes tubeless less prone to flats is the sealant. You could put sealant in the tubes if you like and you’ll get the same benefit. Unfortunately you’ll get the same problem that sealant causes in tubeless tires. The sealant needs to be refreshed every 3 to 6 months.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-06-20, 07:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yep. When running high pressure in tires, Velox is the Only Thing. I had a similar experience many years ago. I used to run 140 lbs. on rando rides, worked great. The tires I used back then aren't made anymore. Neither are the rims. "Nothing's any good anymore." -Joni Mitchell.

But heck, flats happen. I've had 5 flats on one ride, all from different objects in both tires. A friend of mine once had 8. Then sometimes I go for months without a flat.
Old 07-06-20, 08:17 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I think I had the Velox for a decade in there but replaced them just recent with crap. BUT it still isn't making complete sense . I see no holes in the crap rim tape, just dimples. I have aero rims so no spokes are hitting . And another thing , lol , Idk why people on here keep say this is high pressure , or 100 psi range is high pressure , it is not , that is ridiculous . In my tubulars for racing I run 160 psi.
Old 07-06-20, 08:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yep. When running high pressure in tires, Velox is the Only Thing. I had a similar experience many years ago. I used to run 140 lbs. on rando rides, worked great. The tires I used back then aren't made anymore. Neither are the rims. "Nothing's any good anymore." -Joni Mitchell.

But heck, flats happen. I've had 5 flats on one ride, all from different objects in both tires. A friend of mine once had 8. Then sometimes I go for months without a flat.
The recent problems I’ve experienced have been with Velox. It’s the only thing I use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-06-20, 08:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I wondered if plastic rim strips get pushed into the rim's spoke holes under high pressures but the strip isn't expanding, it's shifting. So the edges are pulled from the sides of the rim and thus are more exposed to the tube. Just an idea I've thought about. Andy
Old 07-06-20, 08:58 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy.
I do not think so . When I added them they sucked on to rim pretty good they aren't moving . Kinda reminded me of when you heatshrink plastic. Though definitely the tube could be pushed down in to the divots because the plastic is weak but I found no sharp areas
Old 07-06-20, 10:12 PM
Clyde1820

Well I think I had the Velox for a decade in there but replaced them just recent with crap. BUT it still isn't making complete sense . I see no holes in the crap rim tape, just dimples ...
Well, to be fair, you can only see it when there's 0psi pressure and you have the tire off. Sure, no apparent holes or tears in the tape, which is fine. But that doesn't show how sharply-defined the edge is when pumped up.

At 116psi, those sharply-defined edges on all the spoke holes are going to be quite "edgy," with a very thin material for the "protector" tape. Tube's going to be sucked right down onto those holes, hard.

The thing about the Velox cloth tape is: it's pretty thick stuff, compared to most other similar products. Even at 100+ psi, it's going to round out those edges nicely.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-07-20, 07:46 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok I got the Velox cloth tape ordered. I am having difficult time find inner tubes. Since I am running 25mm tires for first time ever I am trying to find 25 mm innertubes with a 60mm valve. I am only finding 18- 25 ( which to me sounds like it would stretch to thin for my high pressure ) and the other is 25 - 32 ( seems excessive ) why not just a 25 mm for sale ? Any suggestions and links ? Thanks.
Old 07-07-20, 08:56 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
I am only finding 18- 25 ( which to me sounds like it would stretch to thin for my high pressure ) and the other is 25 - 32 ( seems excessive ) why not just a 25 mm for sale ? Any suggestions and links ? Thanks.
Either is fine but I would go with the 18-25 version for less bulk and weight but not much in it really. Most of the world has been using tubes manufactured this way for decades so no sense overthinking it. Choose one and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-08-20, 01:22 AM
Clyde1820

Ok I got the Velox cloth tape ordered. I am having difficult time find inner tubes. Since I am running 25mm tires for first time ever I am trying to find 25 mm innertubes with a 60mm valve. I am only finding 18- 25 ( which to me sounds like it would stretch to thin for my high pressure ) and the other is 25 - 32 ( seems excessive ) why not just a 25 mm for sale ? Any suggestions and links ? Thanks.
Schwalbe Tube Finder search tool @ SchwalbeTires.

From the search list, here are four that might suit:
P/N = 1042-7363 -- SV 15 60mm; 700 x 18-28C (28 x 0.7-1.1'', 27 x 7/8-1'') (18-622, 20-622, 22-622, 23-622, 25-622, 28-622, 22-630, 25-630); Presta 60mm; Standard; 105 g; $10.02

P/N = 1040-0103 -- SV 20 50mm; 700 x 18-25C (28 x 0.7-1'', 27 x 7/8-1'') (18-622, 20-622, 22-622, 23-622, 25-622, 22-630, 25-630); Presta 50mm; Extra Light; 65 g; $12.29

P/N = 1042-6363 -- SV 20 60mm; 700 x 18-25C (28 x 0.7-1'', 27 x 7/8-1'') (18-622, 20-622, 22-622, 23-622, 25-622, 22-630, 25-630); Presta 60mm; Extra Light; 65 g; $13.49

P/N = 1042-6383 -- SV 20 80mm; 700 x 18-25C (28 x 0.7-1'', 27 x 7/8-1'') (18-622, 20-622, 22-622, 23-622, 25-622, 22-630, 25-630); Presta 80mm; Extra Light; 65 g; $15.56
This seller on eBay seems to have some in stock, in the 60mm valve size: click.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.