Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Felco or Knipex?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: Felco or Knipex
Felco
46.15%
Knipex
53.85%
Tools r dum.
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Felco or Knipex?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 09:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Felco or Knipex?

Felco C7 or Knipex 95 61 190 or Knipex95 62 160? That is the question. I am looking to cut mostly standard Bowden cables and I don't want to settle for cheap stuff.
Old 07-03-20, 10:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Money no object Knipex, but I've been quite happy with these
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-22-WRC7...SHYY45VK7EPG9J

Amazon is the cheapest I've found them at 35.00 and made in Japan. I've used them to cut lots of spokes and hundreds of cables and they still work perfect and cut completely cleanly.
Old 07-03-20, 11:29 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Felco.
Had my Felco's for over 20 years now and still work great.
Old 07-04-20, 02:20 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I prefer cutters with an opening spring, so either the Knipex 95 62 160 or the Felco C7s. Of those two specific models I've only used the C7s and they were fantastic, so that's where my recommendation goes, and I'm generally a great lover of Knipex.
Old 07-04-20, 06:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Felco.
Had my Felco's for over 20 years now and still work great.
+1 I have had mine for decades and they work like new.
Old 07-04-20, 09:16 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I am a tool nerd of epic proportions, and I have both. It looks like many of the opinions are from people who only have or used one or the other. The 95-61-190 DOES have an opening spring and it is hidden in the head as part of the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism on my Knipex has NEVER come undone unexpectedly, but I have had the problem with the Felcos where they open when I don’t want them to because the little tooth slipped off or got bumped.

I also like having a crimper for both ferrules and tips (Knipex) so I don’t need to grab a second tool to crimp. The crimper works for both derailleur and brake cable tips. The hex crimper puts a perfect hex crimp on brake cable ferrules so they don’t fall off while handling the cables after they are cut to length. The ferrule crimper may be a solution to a problem that you don’t have, however.

I also find that the Knipex are less likely to leave that annoying burr when coiled brake housing collapses right at the cut and you have to make an angled cut to finish the end. I actually bought a pair of small Knipex 62HRC side cutters that do this job (among others) and they work great.

it may be that my Felcos are over 40 years old; my mother bought them to cut the steel stems on artificial flowers and to cut hard floral wire. I inherited/appropriated them for bike use after they had already lived 15 years of hard use. You really can’t go wrong with either.

I find that that component grips on the Knipex are a little fat for my tastes, but that is half the point. The bulk of the grips make them a little harder to store if space is tight, or if you use a travel kit.

I will also say that if you have small hands, the Felcos are a little easier to use as they don’t open quite as wide as the Knipex. I have a hard time handling either pair one-handed if they are sitting on the bench wide open, but that is the nature of a tool with so much leverage where the cutting edge is so close to the pivot.

edit: I just looked at KC Tool to confirm the part number on the component grip model and see that the 95-61-190 is only 53USD right now. That is 40% off of the regular price.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 07-05-20 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-05-20, 12:33 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Thanks for the correction aggiegrads. I had a coworker with some Knipex wire cutters that didn't have a spring in it, and they looked like the Knipex 190s.
Likes For cpach:
Old 07-05-20, 06:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
A thank you to everyone but especially @aggiegrads who has had the extreme pleasure to use both. It sounds like I am in the same position I was beforehand. Not for lack of trying or lack of good opinions. I think the Knipex is going to win out for crimping capability but I don't know. I will let the poll take its course and see what the end results might be.
Likes For veganbikes: