Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 11:35 AM
Mel Patsel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meidai pump hose

I would like to know where I can get new hose (Complete). - treads into base and has top attachment to inflate tire.
Old 12-15-09, 01:45 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Topeak sells a replacement hose that has adapters to fit several different pumps. Don't know if Medai is supported. Better bike shops often sell spare parts like this.
Old 12-21-09, 10:10 AM
Mel Patsel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Topeak sells a replacement hose that has adapters to fit several different pumps. Don't know if Medai is supported. Better bike shops often sell spare parts like this.
Thank You!!!! Where is Topeak located? Possibly I can order over internet. I have been to several bike shops and no one sugguested this. I problem now is to locate a Topeak location.
Old 03-24-18, 02:12 PM
marchman321

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hello - - - I fully investigated all options for repairing my CyclePro MDI - please see my article on The Chainlink - MDI - Meidai Bicycle Pumps: Do you have one and do you love it?. Here is the short version: Threading for the pump hose to the base is 9.5mm coarse thread (according to Yellow Jersey) but 1/8" NPT pipe threading works fine and does not cross-thread, strip out, or loosen when tightened. You can find 1/8" NPT threaded hose barbs, pipe, etc. at many hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

If the Pyramid / Sunlite Model M / Yellow Jersey after market replacement hoses aren't a good match for you, or simply too cheaply made, you can step up to Silca's Replacement Hose with clamps kit with 3/16" inside diameter and 7/16" outside diameter or to HBD Thermoid VALUFLEX/GS rated at 250 PSI with 3/16" inside diameter and 7/16" outside diameter from McMaster Carr (item # 5304K42). In order to use Silca's kit or the Valuflex tubing you need to upgrade your hose barb to make sure the hose stays put on the pump - this can be a 3/16" hose X 1/8" NPT steel barb or stainless steel barb. You may also use a 3/16" hose X 1/8" NPT brass hose barb to connect to the pump base but you have to keep it away from moisture and grease the threads before installation because brass connected to steel will rust. If you decide against Silca's kit and purchase the Valuflex tubing instead, be sure to purchase Oetiker stainless steel clamps (known also as pinch clamps and ear clamps) McMaster Carr (item # 5435K12) .

Lastly, if the head of the hose where you attach the valve isn't working you may replace it with a variety of options available from Silca or other manufacturers, but if you want to hang on to the original MDI part you may rebuild it with parts from other hoses. I used the head from Monarch Bicycles on Ebay; the item number for this hose on Ebay always changes but the auction title is always the same "Bicycle Pump Hose 24" Steel Thumb Lock Schrader Hose NEW!" (Monarch is not currently selling on Ebay, though...) . The "Sunlite Universal Thumb Lock Hose End" on Amazon item number B00629RMZE is a bit cheaper and it's likely you only really need the washer in the head (which clamps on to your tire valve) and perhaps the housing to keep your old MDI head going - I haven't tried it but for $6.25 and free shipping it seems like it's worth a try.

But there are some advantages to moving to 1/4" inside diameter hose since that is most common in auto shops. The following from Lumiteco is a 1/4" inside diameter hose head with steel thumb lock is Amazon.com item B076F2PL5H " 1/4"Lock On All Metal Air Chuck,Mini Air Compressor Portable Tire Inflator Tire Chuck, Hose End with Barb Connector for Hose Repair Inflate Chuck--2Pack". It may be the Lumiteco head also has all the parts you need, save for the 1/4" barb, to repair your MDI head. Also I have become a huge fan of the air chucks with steel lock for 1/4" from Interstate Pneumatics (specifically the T02 - Amazon item B011LBZQ7I ) since it works beautifully with my Presta head from Silca resulting in no pressure loss on my MDI bicycle pump. Bear in mind that moving to 1/4" hose means you need a 1/4" hose barb and slightly larger pinch or ear clamps unless you are happy with getting standard hose clamps from the hardware store.

As far as the leather pump washer, or "cup packing", which is housed inside the cylinder of your pump (it's what puts air through the pressure gauge and the pump hose), there are a couple of options as discussed in BikeForums and elsewhere. 1. (This first one is from my article on The Chainlink) Buy one from Silca - it's could be the Silca 741 (30mm diameter) but measure your pump cylinder before you order (the dimension for my MDI pump cylinder is 29.8mm and I am using the Silca 741 - it's great). 2. Find one somewhere- - sometimes they show up on Ebay. 3. Contact Monarch-McLaren, Ltd. in Wisconsin and have them make a couple of them for more than you probably care to pay. 4. Make your own- you might learn a new skill! You MUST use Silca's Pump Blood to install a new pump washer or it will crack and become useless. I also think a combination of leather conditioner and some light oil would do as people have been using this solution for many years. Clearly no lubricant which will clog the pump's airways should ever be used to install the pump washer.

Happy Cycling,

Matt M
Likes For marchman321:
Old 03-24-18, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Where is Topeak located?
Asia, probably Taiwan, ROC.

try visiting a bike shop , they will be able to order Topeak from a warehouse , Topeak does not sell retail...
they truck pallets of cases to the warehouse, the warehouse distributor ships to bike shops.