Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone takes their roadbike on gravel paths?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone takes their roadbike on gravel paths?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 10:34 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone takes their roadbike on unpaved paths?

Before all the N+1 talk or "Get a MTB" comments, please bear with me for a bit here. I saw in TDF that there were a few coblestone and rough gravel routes. And these guys just blitz through it. So it got me thinking if anyone here takes their road bikes onto crushed gravel paths?

OK changed the title abit. What I should've meant was surfaces apart from asphalt.

Last edited by wunderkind; 09-01-10 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-31-10, 10:41 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Dirt roads once in a while, but not gravel if i can help it. I think most roadies don't want a lot of gravel kicking and chipping their paint and getting their bikes dirty. Gravel is a bit more likely to cause flats too.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-31-10, 10:50 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I grew up on a gravel road, and even on a mountain bike loose gravel is sketchy. There was always hard packed dirt where people drove that was very smooth, though. At least until they decided to dump more gravel on the road. The rock usually cleared off the packed dirt after a month or so...
Old 08-31-10, 11:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nope. I rode on a gravel road once and I died. And my carbon bike exploded.
Old 09-01-10, 12:26 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A road bike can take much more dirt, abuse and curb jumps than most people think.

Of course, being mainly a C-X kind of guy, my idea of roads is probably a bit different than most...

-Z
Old 09-01-10, 12:37 AM
Scrockern8r

Bikes: '77 Traveller III '05 Rockhopper.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about the tires. I run 27x1.25s and they do fine on dirt roads and the occasional exploratory venture. However, it doesn't take much to get them bogged down into gravel. It is a road bike after all.

Last edited by Scrockern8r; 09-01-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 12:44 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by W Manson
A well traveled gravel road will have a strip about 4" wide on each edge next to the ditch where it is packed dirt with no loose stones. I have ridden these many times, pretending that I am in rural France on a breakaway.
I was going to answer, "Every time I'm late for work". However, your response is so me. That's the reason I am so fond of CX bikes and racing. There's nothing like it.

For the OP: When riding on gravel roads or singletrack, you want to take the smoothest line possible and 'ride light' so that the shock is absorbed and don't make jerky movements. On lower traction/unpredictable surfaces, try to move in fluid lines making minimal/subtle changes in direct. Don't grab on the brake; feather them, and learn how to come to stop gradually, yet quickly and brake in straight lines. Also, try to keep a smooth cadence.

These techniques can often be applied to many different terrains and as good general habits for all riding.
Old 09-01-10, 12:47 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrockern8r
It's all about the tires. I run 27x1.25s and they do fine on dirt roads and the occasional exploratory venture. However, it doesn't take much to get them bogged down into gravel. It is a road bike after all.
I disagree. It's far more about technique and judgment on most terrain.
Old 09-01-10, 12:56 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I ride my rb with 23mm tires on gravel roads on occasion. Just be ready to unclip pronto. It's not a whole bunch of fun with such skinny tires though. Took the CX on gravel roads which was a million times better but nothing like taking a fat-studded-tire mtb on gravel where I had no problem going as fast as I could. BTW the CX had more road-like tires than off-road so that had everything to do with it.
Old 09-01-10, 03:12 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I've been on dirt equestrian trails at night. It's difficult to keep upright and avoid all the poop but always lots of fun.
Old 09-01-10, 04:08 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have to admit, I feel very hesitant with my road bike on loose-over-hardpack or gravel or similar terrain.

Give me my 29x2.35s and it is a different story - but I am not sure if I'll be able to correct a rear wheel skid on 700x23s. I just got a cross bike and I am still not fully confident about what I can do with it on a trail yet - some of it is simply not enough time getting to know the bike's capabilities and some of it is that I feel a little more prone to wiping out when on drop bars (probably just in my head).

V.
Old 09-01-10, 04:08 AM
thinh_zipp93
This is you after 4hrs

Bikes: 2008-9 colnago prima custom, zipp 2001TT series 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once follow a dude into a bush road, I first though that this road are wooden and it is kind of nice when sometime riding under the trees line, pretty cool.
Anyway, I found myself rolling next to a bush walk gravel road, I was using 23 RB tyres in that time, get heap of bumps, the tyre stucked on the sand, but still moving, I didn't use clipless.
I got out from it after almost 500m "bush ride" with my bike. Nothing happened, when I went home, the next day, my tyre went flat. That is all.
Old 09-01-10, 04:44 AM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The occasional dirt/gravel section opens up lots more routes for me, it's no big deal. Wider tyres do make things easier as a 23mm is about the same width as the stones and the stones tend to roll sideways making things a tad squirmy.

Edit: around here, a lot of the dirt roads ride better than the "paved" roads. The dirt roads are maintained by grading then once a year, the "paved" back roads are maintained by a crew driving around throwing a shovelful of hot mix in the holes then moving on.

Last edited by Steev; 09-01-10 at 06:10 AM. Reason: more to say
Old 09-01-10, 04:57 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Working on my curb jumping is going to be a big part of my program from September-Novemeber.
Old 09-01-10, 05:00 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by thinh_zipp93
I once follow a dude into a bush road, I first though that this road are wooden and it is kind of nice when sometime riding under the trees line, pretty cool.
Anyway, I found myself rolling next to a bush walk gravel road, I was using 23 RB tyres in that time, get heap of bumps, the tyre stucked on the sand, but still moving, I didn't use clipless.
I got out from it after almost 500m "bush ride" with my bike. Nothing happened, when I went home, the next day, my tyre went flat. That is all.
I'd bet that you picked up a thorn.
Old 09-01-10, 05:21 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Owner of the LBS rides his SL2 on the local rail bed all the time - on 25c's.
Old 09-01-10, 05:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Anyone takes their roadbike on surfaces apart from asphalt, such as gravel paths and roads?

Once in a while ... don't like it, but sometimes there just isn't pavement where I want to ride.
Old 09-01-10, 05:29 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
I do it all the time on 23s. No big deal. Don't do it at full speed and stay light on the saddle.
Old 09-01-10, 05:44 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have a cyclocross bike, and put the biggest, fattest, slickest tires you can put on them you will then be in for a real treat. It is a blast to go off the beaten path every now and then.
Old 09-01-10, 05:50 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
not deliberately

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 09-01-10, 06:08 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the roads we use on the daily morning ride is being resurfaced; they keep milling sections of it, then paving later on. Some of the guys are complaining, but I keep saying "This is great! It's like we're riding the Northern Classics!". The milled section is a great spot to attack the group, since some of the guys are hesitant when they get there.
Old 09-01-10, 06:08 AM
Slowrollin'

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Dirt, Gravel, Mud all the time. I don't feel my ride is complete unless I get onto some sort of dirt!! After all, it's just a bike; they are meant to be ridden and enjoyed.

Mike

Old 09-01-10, 06:29 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
I avoid it for two reasons. Fresh gravel that is loose can cause a crash. Also gravel cuts sidewalls. If I had to ride it regularly, I would get a CX.
Old 09-01-10, 06:31 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowrollin'
Dirt, Gravel, Mud all the time. I don't feel my ride is complete unless I get onto some sort of dirt!! After all, it's just a bike; they are meant to be ridden and enjoyed.

Mike
You obviously don't ride a $10,000 road bike.
Old 09-01-10, 06:41 AM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not gravel but the bike path around here changes from paved to dirt in many place and my wife loves the bike path over roads, so we ride on it often. The surface is made up of a lot of silt and clay I would say. It is very hard and actually a lot smoother then a lot of the paved sections of the path. I do have to clean my bike more often because of this because you do kick up dust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.