Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 12-12-13, 11:15 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
since i tend to ride on the tops during a mass start.
Old 12-12-13, 12:08 PM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How the Rotor 3D Track crank compare to the Dura Ace 7710? Are they in the same league?
Always wondered why I don't see the Rotor often being used at the top events (when SRM is not in use).
Old 12-12-13, 01:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
So, my small random question :-)

Going by Carleton's recommendation of money-spend order (below for memory refreshement), the basic aerodynamic goodies sit slightly above half way in importance, what are folks' views on the relative advantages between:
a - mass start aero-helmet, (i've got my beady eye on the Giro Air Attack Shield. Currently ride with a standard road helmet)
b - super narrow bars (the 33cm Alpina..) - my current bars are 37cm sprint bar, but my shoulders (distance between acromonions) is ~33cm.

similar prices.

I'm an enduro, focusing on points, scratch and team pursuit.

Thanks

(in my humble opinion) spend money in this general order:

- Track season pass (ride/race as much as possible)
- Road Bike
- *basic* equipment (chainrings, cogs, tools). Notice that I didn't say fancy carbon or aero gear.
- Race entry fees (but this should be covered in the season pass)
- Clinics
- Skinsuit, aero helmet, booties
- Diet for Athletes book. This will change your energy and fat levels.
- Gym membership (if you plan to be a sprinter)
- Coaching (optional really)
- Travel to other tracks for regional type events to broaden your horizions
- Aero front wheel
- Fancy carbon/custom frame
- Aero disc
I would get bars first. But, I wouldn't use the 33cm Alpinas for mass start. They are very uncomfortable for sprint and especially mass start. I would consider 35 or 37cm Scattos.

i have the scatto 35s going to try those for mass start. i also ordered some deda 36s for both the road and track. i'll probably end up using the dedas since i tend to ride on the tops during a mass start.
u wot m8?
Old 12-12-13, 01:25 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Originally Posted by carleton
u wot m8?

am i the only one who does this?

actually this only started when i started riding a road bike. i do it crits too
Old 12-12-13, 01:29 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Yes?

Old 12-12-13, 01:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 8bits
How the Rotor 3D Track crank compare to the Dura Ace 7710? Are they in the same league?
Always wondered why I don't see the Rotor often being used at the top events (when SRM is not in use).
When it comes to Shimano, it seems that their mantra is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They got it right with their Dura Ace Track Cranks. It's a design that is difficult to improve upon.

ROTOR cranks haven't proved themselves to have any advantage over Sugino 75, Dura Ace, or Omniums for sprinters and Campy for enduros. But, they haven't proven themselves to be inferior either.

There aren't very many out there. I've only seen photos of one person using them on a track bike (Jack Lindquist). He's a pretty strong/fast guy. And I think there was a young national level woman sprinter in Colorado using them (I can't recall her name).

So, there is no reason not to use them. I think people would rather spend less for one of the standard "known" cranksets listed above. Maybe if ROTOR lowered the price and/or gave them to a few popular riders they would become more popular.
Old 12-12-13, 01:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

am i the only one who does this?

actually this only started when i started riding a road bike. i do it crits too
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Yes?

That is the "invisible aerobar" position, mostly used in a breakaway situation. That's not "most of the time". Most of the time should be like this:

Old 12-12-13, 02:25 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
The key thing that makes me still wrinkle my brow over Impreza_Al's position, though, is that it's not quite IAB - his forearms are a long way from parallel. Add to that a hand position that is in all likelihood a good deal less secure than the drops, and, I wince a bit. Impreza, I think you've got better options than what you do now.
Old 12-12-13, 02:43 PM
Impreza_aL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'll figure it out. first half of the season i always in the drops. towards the end i found myself hanging out on top. i just need to lose to the gut.
Old 12-12-13, 02:51 PM
carleton
Elitist

i'll figure it out. first half of the season i always in the drops. towards the end i found myself hanging out on top. i just need to lose to the gut.
You just have to mold your body into that position and be comfortable there. This probably means adding a stretching routine.
Old 12-12-13, 03:22 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I had to.

Old 12-12-13, 03:24 PM
Impreza_aL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes i like that!
Old 12-12-13, 03:43 PM
amybikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just have to mold your body into that position and be comfortable there. This probably means adding a stretching routine.
*shudder* I have really good friends, that are really good bike riders, that do that in crits, and even though I know they'll be ok, it still scares the crap out of me! I guess it's a good way to get people to give you space.

In totally bad internet etiquette, I'll be the lecture-y new person to the forums. It's not just about aero dynamics, it's a serious safety thing! This video demonstrates the consequences of crashing when on the tops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxigEaRT6U

To be totally depressingly honest, and ruin the humor in the thread, this issue makes me twitch, as I lost a friend earlier this year from a crash where she went over the bars. Not to imply she was riding on the tops, she wasn't, but going over the bars is a consequence from a crash where you're riding on the tops, and going over the bars is dangerous!! Lots of people go over the bars and are ok, but collar bones are common, etc. Track racing is dangerous enough without people doing silly things to make it more dangerous

IMHO if it's uncomfortable to ride in your drops, fit could be adjusted until flexibility is gained?

I'm not expert in anything track, and I'm very sorry for the digression to seriousness, just felt like I had to say it! Continue with your regularly scheduled humor!! I'll follow internet protocol from now on
Old 12-12-13, 03:49 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amybikes
*shudder* I'm not expert in anything track, and I'm very sorry for the digression to seriousness, just felt like I had to say it! Continue with your regularly scheduled humor!! I'll follow internet protocol from now on
No, you are spot on, in my opinion. I'm not really a fan of that pseudo-IAB/sphinx position, but whatever you want to do while off the front solo, be my guest. My peeve is when people are doing it in close quarters. I don't care how good you think you are, it's just not as stable and responsive as in the drops.
Old 12-12-13, 04:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by amybikes
*shudder* I have really good friends, that are really good bike riders, that do that in crits, and even though I know they'll be ok, it still scares the crap out of me! I guess it's a good way to get people to give you space.

In totally bad internet etiquette, I'll be the lecture-y new person to the forums. It's not just about aero dynamics, it's a serious safety thing! This video demonstrates the consequences of crashing when on the tops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxigEaRT6U

To be totally depressingly honest, and ruin the humor in the thread, this issue makes me twitch, as I lost a friend earlier this year from a crash where she went over the bars. Not to imply she was riding on the tops, she wasn't, but going over the bars is a consequence from a crash where you're riding on the tops, and going over the bars is dangerous!! Lots of people go over the bars and are ok, but collar bones are common, etc. Track racing is dangerous enough without people doing silly things to make it more dangerous

IMHO if it's uncomfortable to ride in your drops, fit could be adjusted until flexibility is gained?

I'm not expert in anything track, and I'm very sorry for the digression to seriousness, just felt like I had to say it! Continue with your regularly scheduled humor!! I'll follow internet protocol from now on
I totally agree.

I should have clarified that he should be comfortable in the drops...not on the hoods. He's on the hoods probably because he is not comfortable in the drops.

Early on, I never understood why coaches would have me "stay in the drops as much as possible and especially during efforts" on road rides. But it was for this very reason. I notice that early in the training season when doing road efforts (using a HR monitor), for a given effort, my HR will climb 10-20 extra beats per minute when I'm in the drops, meaning that I'm working harder to be there. The reason being is that my muscles never got to relax and get those micro-rests that occur within the pedal stroke. If the muscle is under tension, it cannot relax and rejuvenate for the next stroke. When I incorporate stretching into my regimen, my HR is the same whether I'm in the drops or hoods.

As a sprinter, being comfortable in the drops is my only option.

Also, in the example video above, any rider who is following another gets NO BENEFIT from the "invisible aerobar" position because the guy in front of you is breaking the air for you. Having control of the bike is more important.

THIS scares the sh*t out of me to even watch: Draft Legal Triathlon bike races on a crit course where clip-ons are legal and used even within the pack:

Instead of using 44cm bars with clip-ons attached, why not just use 40cm bars and have control of the bike, brakes, and shifters as well as being aero? Roadies like 44cm bars for waving back and forth during climbing and sprinting (the benefit of which is debatable). But, those don't happen in these sprint triathlons. Narrow road bars would be optimal.

Last edited by carleton; 12-13-13 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 04:30 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
mass start aero-helmet, (i've got my beady eye on the Giro Air Attack Shield. Currently ride with a standard road helmet)
I am so very much waiting for these to arrive here in Oz too. I have the money waiting, but they seem to be taking forever to get approval here. The LBS was told they were due back in Oct, but we're still waiting.....

I really wonder how they compare to the sprint helmets for aero. They have the great benefit of being able to use them for mass start, road etc as well. With my low riding position due to longer legs, I find with a road helmet and glasses, I'm often looking over or under the frame of my glasses. It's really annoying at times and the attached lens on the Giro I'm hoping would solve this.
Old 12-12-13, 05:17 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slowtwitch says the LG course or whatever it is tests consistently faster at 0 yaw, i don't remember who's testing it was though. I'm really interested in seeing the numbers for the specialized evade, and i'd love to get my hands on an air attack and an evade to do coast down tests with. I'll probably end up taking a swag based on other people's data though.
Old 12-12-13, 05:34 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Slowtwitch says the LG course or whatever it is tests consistently faster at 0 yaw, i don't remember who's testing it was though. I'm really interested in seeing the numbers for the specialized evade, and i'd love to get my hands on an air attack and an evade to do coast down tests with. I'll probably end up taking a swag based on other people's data though.
Yes, that anecdote was thrown out by the guy running Ero Sports. Problem is, I still haven't seen his data, and in that post his language didn't exactly instill confidence that he was being objective. Furthermore, all the tests I have seen on the Air Attack are without the shield (which is my favorite part of the helmet, regardless of aerodynamic advantage or not). Lastly, another thing I like about the Air Attack is it's lack of lengthwise vents. In mass start races, I am not keeping my head perfectly still in a perfect aero position. Turn the LG Course sideways like this and I have to believe it is not nearly as aero as the Air Attack (but I'm happy to be swayed by data):

That said, I'll bet there isn't an apreciable aero difference between the three in real world (mass start) use. I picked the Air Attach for the shield... love not wearing glasses.
Old 12-12-13, 06:02 PM
Lew.

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone here have first hand experience with the Sphynx (sp?) bars?
The majority of people at my local track use the Sphynx position with normal drop bars, yet the only guy who rides them (fantastic rider, has won the league four years in a row), is the only guy who doesn't ride the position.
(I don't plan on buying any, but it seems odd that the only person who has them at my track, is the only one who doesn't use that position)
Old 12-12-13, 06:23 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The only time I've seen them used was by a new-ish Cat3 racer (we combined categories for a 1/2/3 field) who insisted on using the bar "hoods" even while swerving up and down all over the track.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-12-13, 06:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
The only time I've seen them used was by a new-ish Cat3 racer (we combined categories for a 1/2/3 field) who insisted on using the bar "hoods" even while swerving up and down all over the track.
+1

They were pretty much a "flash in the pan" fad that had very limited uses. Now they are all but banned by the UCI, so only local racers use them. I don't think I heard anyone actually say that they really liked them. Every time that I saw them, the guy was simply evaluating them.
Old 12-12-13, 06:52 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Apt comment... Result is a broken collar bone and ribs I believe!

Nasty! It looks like he caught the NZ (Black) rider's bars or elbow as he was going past and pulled him into him... Is that what you guys reckon?

JMR
Old 12-12-13, 07:53 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
When it comes to Shimano, it seems that their mantra is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They got it right with their Dura Ace Track Cranks. It's a design that is difficult to improve upon.

ROTOR cranks haven't proved themselves to have any advantage over Sugino 75, Dura Ace, or Omniums for sprinters and Campy for enduros. But, they haven't proven themselves to be inferior either.

There aren't very many out there. I've only seen photos of one person using them on a track bike (Jack Lindquist). He's a pretty strong/fast guy. And I think there was a young national level woman sprinter in Colorado using them (I can't recall her name).

Maybe if ROTOR lowered the price and/or gave them to a few popular riders they would become more popular.

I'm riding a 130 SRM/Rotor. Nice crank. Not any difference in feel from the Shimano 144 I used or the FSA I had. The extra $$$ come from a lot of machining to make them light for the road crowd. YMMV, I'm not a huge watts guy and a 150-160# all arounder.
Attached Images
Old 12-12-13, 08:04 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

I notice that early in the training season when doing road efforts (using a HR monitor), for a given effort, my HR will climb 10-20 extra beats per minute when I'm in the drops, meaning that I'm working harder to be there. The reason being is that my muscles never got to relax and get those micro-rests that occur within the pedal stroke. If the muscle is under tension, it cannot relax and rejuvenate for the next stroke. When I incorporate stretching into my regimen, my HR is the same whether I'm in the drops or hoods.
You're well in the ballpark. It's the muscles that are in extension that are "pulling" on your power producing muscles. If you stretch the mirror image muscles you reduce or eliminate this pull. Otherwise you have that constant tension.

You're also using the muscle in a different extension when in the drops. This creates additional oxygen demand because you're making "untrained" fibers work.

And depending on your position, you could also be impacting the diaphragm muscles which means your breathing capacity is impacted as well because shallower breath expose less lung surface for transfer.

Train like you race.

FWIW, I use the IAB a lot. It's a good position to leverage off of and I can get pretty efficient. Never use it on the track though, and in crits only when I'm at the front of the line. It's a nice way to make those folks behind you work a bit harder; if I'm leading a teammate, or someone I want to keep in a break I'll ride in the drops or even on the hoods.

Bucket load of my IAB in here:

.be
I was flatting out leading out with two to go. Came through the corner and realized I was pretty much on the rim.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 12-12-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 08:06 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by VanceMac
Yes, that anecdote was thrown out by the guy running Ero Sports. Problem is, I still haven't seen his data, and in that post his language didn't exactly instill confidence that he was being objective.
Can't comment on the shield vs. non shield Attack. But Jim's got no dog in that fight and his set up is top notch for 0-7 yaw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.