Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this safe? Dent in alu frame... Again...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 11:15 AM
Aww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,
recently I bought a bike with a quite significant down tube dent, a bit too deep for my taste. Not sure what caused it.
Also, I am not really familiar with Alu frames and am generally quite worried about them cracking.
The bike is 91 Trek 7000, Easton 6061-E9 double butted if it helps. Intended use is commuting, which means also some light off road parts combined with going with heavy traffic, so I would prefer to be safe there.
Maybe I am just too cautious, just really not sure about the structure of the dent. Wouldn't want it to crack somewhere, and would prefer not to check it daily during winter. On the other hand, wouldn't want to trash a frame that can still be used.
Any opinion about it is really appreciated, thank you.

Old 10-12-21, 12:00 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Bummer. Hate to ask, but based on your post, you don’t feel confident about it- so then why did you buy it?

Could it be used? Yeah, it might ride fine for a long time. Would I want to buy it and ride that in traffic?
Nope.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 10-12-21, 12:01 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried.
I helped a friend build up a late 90's Cannondale (also aluminum) road frame which has a dent slightly larger than that on the down tube and two very large hard whacks on the top tube, plus several other smaller dents and scratches. It lived a long, hard life before and is living a hard life now. This kid rides the thing like he's trying to break it, he's put on at least 2 or 3 thousand miles, tacoed both wheels and the frame is still holding together.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 10-12-21, 12:46 PM
Aww

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also keep asking myself why did I buy it! .)
A person from next village was selling it as a pub bike pretty cheap (and dirty and with most parts exchanged), and I thought I will just grab it and see what parts are usable, as I might even have use for the fork it has in case I trash the frame. Since that I'm just walking around it and thinking whether it is safe to commute on it, as I like the paint scheme and generally would prefer not to throw usable frame away.

Well seems opinions are a bit split and it is true I am not really confident, I'm inclined to not try how long it might last.
Thank you everyone for helping me to sort it in my head kind of .)
Old 10-12-21, 01:16 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If the tube is still straight I would just ride it. You can't pound out dents in Al, but if there is no cracking I'd ride it. The other 345 degrees of tube around the dent are plenty strong. Tube bent, cracks starting down in the dent, dumpster it.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 10-12-21, 01:26 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I would ride it. I have never seen a frame break mid-way along the downtube unless there was a significant (as in, the frame is the last thing you will be worried about) crash.
Old 10-12-21, 03:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
The worry about Al is that once a crack has started it tends to travel/grow quickly. (Unlike steel). So as long as you are diligent about monitoring the area you can be safe. But if you don't daily keep an eye on the area and if a crack does start you are not being safe. So it's really up to you. Andy
Old 10-12-21, 03:48 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Ride it slow for a while. See how it goes.
What condition is the rest of it in?
Old 10-12-21, 04:52 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
That's a longitudinal (lengthwise) dent so it's not likely for the tube to fail by cracking in half at that point. If the dent were circumferential I'd be a lot more concerned. If it's functional, just ride it as it is but don't throw any significant money at "upgrades".
Likes For HillRider: