Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's your fastest option?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: What's the fastest way for you to commute?
My own two feet.
0.50%
My own two wheels! Ride on!
35.68%
Rails or buses.
2.01%
Four wheels.
58.79%
Other (please describe)
3.02%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

What's your fastest option?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 08:52 AM
Cheshire

Bikes: 2011 Marin Novato 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
car is fastest, no contest.
By car, via interstate: 30-45 minutes, barring an accident/construction delay.
By car, via bikeable/alt highway: an hour, barring an accident/detour from interstate.
By bike: 2-3 hours.

This is one-way data.
Old 09-30-06, 11:17 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Car commute is more than twice as fast: 7 minutes car vs 12-18 minutes bicycle (usually 15 min)depending on traffic signals. I live near a freeway on ramp & worked near an off ramp. Olympia does not have significant traffic on the freeway during my commute hours.
Old 09-30-06, 11:52 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well:

If I drive on the weekend (which I do if there is something emergent I forgot) it takes 15 min. + 30 s. to park in the 15 min. loading zone.

Most times that I drive on a weekday it takes 15 min. + 15-20 min. to find/pay/walk from parking.

The bike ride is a pretty consistent 45 minutes, although If I goof off downtown or get distracted by something shiny on the bike path it'll baloon to an hour.

However: the last dozen times I've driven (over the last year) I have run into traffic/accidents/construction/state fairs/ conventions etc... and it ended up being over an hour door to door.

I don't know if that stuff happens every day to the drivers where I work, but what are the odds that the dozen days out of 260 that I drive are the only ones that have traffic snarls?
Old 09-30-06, 12:03 PM
rajman

Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading through the responses I am surprised by one thing: the lack of respondents saying that transit is the fastest. When I lived in suburban Toronto, the subway was always fastest between say 7 am and 9 pm, after that it was the car. Granted I was coming from a location close to the subway, and going to various downtown locations. However, my current residence in downtown Toronto, the subway beats car for any long trips, particularly at rush hour. I've taken transit to meetings/classes all over the city and it generally takes me about 50 min to take subway/bus/streetcar, regardless of destination.

Does no-one have a similar transit experience?

EDIT: This also counts for going to the airport - in fact I've made the airport by TTC in about 35 min relatively consistently and I can only match that in the middle of the night by car (maybe about 25 min by car from my location). I've even taken transit to the airport in Calgary - also relatively efficient from my location at about 50 min vs. 30 to 35 min by car (assuming no traffic).
Old 09-30-06, 02:45 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3.5 miles from home to work
Bike: 15-20 minutes depending on light cycle. 25 minutes if bridge goes up.
Walk: Never tried it before, but I can usually walk 4 miles in an hour.
Car: When I had one, it would take 30 minutes. Parking took half of that time.
Bus: 35 minutes, which includes walk to bus stop, wait for bus, get off bus, and walk to office.

Bike wins.
Old 09-30-06, 04:55 PM
Topher_Aus

Bikes: GT Avalanche 1.0 non disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have four options-

1) Drive. It takes about 30 minutes. I'm lucky in that I have a freeway near my house that almost goes directly to work. It would also cost $20 a day by the time I paid for fuel, tolls and parking. If I stayed off the freeway, there would be almost nothing between riding and driving.

2) Ride. That takes about 50 minutes, and costs almost nothing.

3) Walk to the station, then train. Also around 50 minutes, but costs $10 a day in fares.

4) Drive to the station, then train. Around 40 minutes, and about $6 a day in fares (I drive to a further station thats in a cheaper fare zone).

Riding also means I don't have to worry about exercise, so it's well and truly worth it for me, even if it's a little longer than driving.
Old 10-01-06, 01:24 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G. Bucci
This may not be popular but: Who else out there feels safer on a bike than in a car? It is only a small
% drivers who are beligerent towards bikes, at least that's my experience

Lets hear some replys
I actually find driver behaviour goes the other way in this city, it's just the whole bully factor. I remember one particular commute when four people tried to pick a fight with me in the space of 10 minutes. That said, my ability to change direction faster and cut through gridlock means that a bicycle is an effective means of avoiding trouble.

That is all.
Old 10-01-06, 04:53 PM
Cheshire

Bikes: 2011 Marin Novato 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rajman
Reading through the responses I am surprised by one thing: the lack of respondents saying that transit is the fastest. When I lived in suburban Toronto, the subway was always fastest between say 7 am and 9 pm, after that it was the car. Granted I was coming from a location close to the subway, and going to various downtown locations. However, my current residence in downtown Toronto, the subway beats car for any long trips, particularly at rush hour. I've taken transit to meetings/classes all over the city and it generally takes me about 50 min to take subway/bus/streetcar, regardless of destination.

Does no-one have a similar transit experience?

EDIT: This also counts for going to the airport - in fact I've made the airport by TTC in about 35 min relatively consistently and I can only match that in the middle of the night by car (maybe about 25 min by car from my location). I've even taken transit to the airport in Calgary - also relatively efficient from my location at about 50 min vs. 30 to 35 min by car (assuming no traffic).

Here in Asheville, NC: I've found that, MAYBE with the exception of doing a point a/b across the entire town, bike beats transit every time. (This includes wait time.) The bus system here just ain't all that convenient.
Old 10-01-06, 04:59 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
car: 9 minutes
bus: ???
bike: 30-40 min depending on route

but the enjoyment factor on the bike is much more

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 10-01-06, 06:54 PM
G5Ti

Bikes: dolan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose other, only because my commute varies pretty greatly.

In the era BC (before construction), my driving commute to work took maybe 20-30 minutes depending on traffic (12.5-13 miles). Now, DC (during construction), it takes the better part of a full hour no matter the time of day. Construction will continue through January-February.

If I take the partial bike commute (drive 3 miles to sports complex, then ride to work the remaining 10 miles), it takes nearly 10-15 minutes to drive (GASP!) and about 30 minutes to ride the rest of the way (25 minutes on my road bike). If I go the whole way by bike, it takes about the same amount of time, but is far less safe depending on the time of day and light conditions.

I ride my bike whenever possible these days; I have some better cold/wet weather gear, and it's really quite lovely. I've grown to not like driving much, despite an obsessive love for cars.
Old 10-01-06, 11:36 PM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.5 mile commute, 15 to 20 minutes by bike. Nice, flat, either a 4 lane road when I ride in at 5:00am or side roads when I ride home at 2:00pm.

When I do take the bus mid winter after a snow storm I have to wake up about 30 minutes earlier and I get there about the same time. Wll I did, because I haven't used the bus since I switched to starting at 5:30. The busses here don't run that early - I can ONLY get to work at 6:00 if I take the bus.

Walking takes about 1 hr, maybe 1.5. I have done it once or twice due to punctures/ice in the drive train/snow.

Car option is unavailable.
Old 10-02-06, 12:58 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also voted cycle ,as thats what i do , when the traffic is at its worst its about the same time, barring an accident that blocks off our harbour bridge or some other incident then the bike wins hands down.
Old 04-20-07, 02:18 PM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your commute by bike longer or shorter by bike or by car?

When you commute to, from or both between home & work is it shorter in time, lenght or both? Or is it the same?

My commute is the about the same in distance, but longer by bike then by car. How ever I'd much rather commute by bike. I think you all understand why. If you'd like an explaination, by all means ask.
Old 04-20-07, 02:20 PM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorter by car, 15ish min compared to 30ish by bike. Assuming no horrible weather or a bus full of dead children on the highway stalling things.

Distance is close to the same.
Old 04-20-07, 02:21 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 5 options for getting to work....

All are about the same distance was, as far as time wise, they probably rank like so:

Fastest
1) Bike
2) Taxi
far below this--
3) Train
4) Car (parking)
5) Bus.
Slowest
Old 04-20-07, 02:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Almost equal in both time and distance. It's 4 miles by the most direct route; even in a car it's difficult to average more than 17 mph because of traffic and stoplights.
Old 04-20-07, 02:35 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
20 miles by pick-em-up truck via mostly freeway, takes about 20-30 minutes, though when there is an accident or a snow storm it can take over an hour.

25 miles by bike via country roads, takes anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours, depending upon the lights, the wind and how I feel.

In the winter, or sometimes when I need a rest day, I split between the truck and the bike, driving to one of two Cuyahoga Valley National Park trailheads, parking and riding the remaining 13 or 6.5 miles.

Public transportation really isn't an option for me.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 04-21-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 02:40 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
14 miles by bike or car.

30 minutes in the car, most of the time chewed up getting to the highway, office is only five minutes off the freeway.

a little less than one hour by bike.
Old 04-20-07, 02:41 PM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Almost equal in both time and distance. It's 4 miles by the most direct route; even in a car it's difficult to average more than 17 mph because of traffic and stoplights.
4 miles, you could almost walk that in a reasonable amount of time as well. Do you sometimes for some cross training?
Old 04-20-07, 02:44 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread again

Fastest
1.car
2.train
3.bike
4.bus
Slowest

The car is twice as fast except if there's bad weather, constrution, overturned vehicles, dead babies, toxic waste spills, hijacked aircraft, alien invasions or zombies on the freeway. So far there haven't been any zombies (that I know of) so that one is pure speculation but I'm guessing things would pretty well grind to a halt.
Old 04-20-07, 02:45 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I follow the same route to work that I would drive. I take a MUP on the way home that adds about a half mile. Generally it takes me 45 minutes in and an hour home by bike where as it takes 30 minutes in and 45 home by car.

Its pretty much the same 25 mile round trip.
Old 04-20-07, 02:49 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kemmer

The car is twice as fast except if there's bad weather, constrution, overturned vehicles, dead babies, toxic waste spills, hijacked aircraft, alien invasions or zombies on the freeway. So far there haven't been any zombies (that I know of) so that one is pure speculation but I'm guessing things would pretty well grind to a halt.
according to the zombie survival guide, and world war Z, bicycle is by _far_ the best form of land transportation in case of zombie armageddon, second only to sailboat in overall transport.
Old 04-20-07, 02:51 PM
maoglone

Bikes: 2k7 Rocky Mountain Metro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in downtown Cincinnati, so it varies more by time of day--it is longer by bike in the morning, by about ten minutes (a 20 min. ride in the am vs. a 10 min. drive), and much shorter during rush hour (a 30 min. ride vs. a 45 min-to-an-hour drive).

Worth it? You bet.
Old 04-20-07, 02:52 PM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
11 km, about 30 minutes by bike and 25 minutes by car
Old 04-20-07, 03:04 PM
dwainedibbly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6.75 miles either way. 10 minutes longer by bike in the morning, 5 minutes longer by bike in the afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.