Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Fully assembled" LOL

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"Fully assembled" LOL

Old 06-06-17, 07:52 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
"Fully assembled" LOL

OK, so the company from which I ordered my Pinarello GAN S did not use the word "fully", but "assembled" did not quite cover it, IMHO... of course, I understand why a shipping box requires the handlebars to be detached, the front wheel off of the fork, but I was a little surprised to find the seatpost completely removed, with the wedge insert buried in a plastic bag, and no instructions for assembly.

But here was the kicker for me: there were additionally no instructions about applying carbon to carbon. I am an information junkie, so discovered quickly the suggestion to use carbon paste, but a phone call to the place from where I purchased the bike yielded the response, "you can use it if you want, but it probably isn't necessary."

Right.

The resulting squeaking while putting certain stress on the saddle during the first few test rides disproved that notion - after double and triple-checking the snugness of all bolts, I purchased a tube of Finish Line Fiber Grip, and instantly solved the creak.

Would it be ridiculous, and too much to ask, for them to throw a tube of that stuff in with purchase of a $4000 bike? Or, at least include instructions to obtain some and use it? I guess it's their official tech/spokesperson not understanding the necessity of applying it that really furrows my brow.

Another thought about "assembled" - why is it that this bike, and the three I have purchased from my LBS, all had rear caliper brake assemblies that were so loose, I had to tighten them onto the frame myself within the first ride or two? Just unlucky?
Old 06-06-17, 08:25 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Well I didn't expect detailed assembly instructions for my bike, though the manual had some general info and there was some specific info for the steerer and a few other things. I received a bag of small parts, most of which I was able to identify but there is one I still am unsure what its function is )

I have never needed any carbon paste for my seatpost torqued as specified. I understand carbon paste is a bit abrasive and will scratch the post, so if you don't need it... So I think the advice was OK. I wouldn't expect them to provide paste just as I wouldn't expect a bag of grease for a shipped bike with an aluminum seatpost.

They probably shipped it to boxed as they received it from Pinarello, who expect a shop to assemble it and have paste and etc. This could be a good thing, but it also means you need to double check everything like a shop would.

Last edited by GeneO; 06-06-17 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 08:38 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
One big reason for the paste is it helps the sestpost from slipping. It's easy to over tighten and damage carbon and while regular grease works, paste allows getting by with less force.
Old 06-06-17, 08:40 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
shouldn't you be out on a ledge?
Old 06-06-17, 08:45 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
OK, so the company from which I ordered my Pinarello GAN S did not use the word "fully", but "assembled" did not quite cover it, IMHO... bla bla blather bla
If you don't already know what you are doing, then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to save $xxx by cutting out the local dealer who would handled all this stuff for you.
Old 06-07-17, 03:51 AM
travelerman

Originally Posted by nycphotography
If you don't already know what you are doing, then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to save $xxx by cutting out the local dealer who would handled all this stuff for you.
Oh, I wanted to - and preferred - using one of my local dealers. But sadly, none of them carry Pinarello, and the nearest two or three that do are at best 3 hour drive (one direction) away, carry a woefully limited array (the one I test drove was one of only two Pinarellos on the showroom floor), and refuse to budge from MSRP.
Old 06-07-17, 03:57 AM
travelerman

Originally Posted by noodle soup
shouldn't you be out on a ledge?
Shouldn't you be on the bus with the rest of the Middle School kids?
Old 06-07-17, 04:07 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no, this is completely standard operating procedure
Old 06-07-17, 05:48 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
You're complaining because you had to put on the seat post and saddle? Really?
Old 06-07-17, 05:50 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
One big reason for the paste is it helps the sestpost from slipping. It's easy to over tighten and damage carbon and while regular grease works, paste allows getting by with less force.
What he said. Carbon paste is proper assembly.

Old 06-07-17, 06:25 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
You're complaining because you had to put on the seat post and saddle? Really?
The seatpost was COMPLETELY removed.
Old 06-07-17, 06:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Okay, well, that's different.
Old 06-07-17, 06:45 AM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... and refuse to budge from MSRP.
I'm surprised, because you sound like a completely reasonable person.
Old 06-07-17, 06:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
The seatpost was not removed, it was never installed in the first place. This is standard for almost every bike I have ever assembled from a box. Since I used to work in bike shops and for a distributor, that number of bikes is in the hundreds
Old 06-07-17, 06:56 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, really helps to elucidate the situation at hand.
Old 06-07-17, 07:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
a phone call to the place from where I purchased the bike yielded the response, "you can use it if you want, but it probably isn't necessary."

Right.
It is right.

Carbon paste isn't a strict requirement and the primary purpose is to hold parts so they don't slip during assembly, to hold the part while proper clamping force is being applied. That's why it is called assembly paste.

Many find that it helps achieve proper clamping force so that a part can hold but many parts hold without it.

-Tim-
Old 06-07-17, 08:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Some manufacturers will supply a tiny "to-go condiment"-sized package of CF paste. it is Certainly recommended, will Not damage the parts, and might prevent damage from over-tightening.

Use it or not as you like, but most recommend its use. A bike shop which thought it was optional would not be getting my business.

It's like saying "You don't have to grease that seat post---possibly the steel and aluminum won't bond, leaving you with a seat post permanently welded into one position ...." Roll your own dice, not mine.

Also ... yes Any bike not completely ready-to-ride assembled should have instructions. Even one fully assembled should come with a manual ... people do adjust and repair things.

I expect a manual with a $30 coffee pot (which nowadays have more computing power than Apollo 11.) I definitely expect a manual with a $4000 bicycle. How about torque specs for that seat-post bolt and headset/stem? Crush a seat post or a steerer trying to get a slip-free grip (in the absence of CF paste) and the manufacturer makes you pay for a replacement?

Not trying to take sides here---but if there is a side it is not the side of an particular poster, it is "consumer" vs. "Vendor." I am giving you my hard-won cash. If you give me the least possible, I will show you, with my next purchase, exactly how much competition you have.

If a vendor decides not to send a manual ("It costs us to print, and nobody reads them anyway") there had best be one online, or they had best send me whatever info i want instantly.

Particularly if I am buying a premium product, like a Pinarello ... I don't want worse customer support than I get at Walmart.
Old 06-07-17, 08:22 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I buy a frame online, I typically get a small packet (ketchup pack sized) of carbon-carbon grease.

It's an assembled bike, not a "fully assembled" and "fully tuned" bike. Expect to put it together and purchase necessary tools needed for tuning and installation. Wheel off the fork and all.
There's a reason why we remove wheels when we fly with Bike Boxes.
The skewers and the wheel can move in shipping and damage spokes.
Double check your brakes, derailleurs, and the truing of your wheels. These things can be tossed around in shipping with little care of the "FRAGILE" warnings.
Old 06-07-17, 08:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
When my wife's bike showed up, the only parts installed were the headset, fork, and bottom bracket. The rest was distributed throughout a series of oddly shaped cardboard boxes. I just assumed his is how new bikes worked.
Old 06-07-17, 08:33 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i got a stack of "manuals" from colnago at home so im pretty sure there is already one with the pina
Old 06-07-17, 08:58 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Particularly if I am buying a premium product, like a Pinarello ... I don't want worse customer support than I get at Walmart.
You get what you pay for. When you're trying to get it online to save a few bucks IMHO you forego the "customer service" experience associated with buying from a local dealer.
Old 06-07-17, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bikes sold at Pro Bike shops are ready to ride..

Need help? bring yours to one.
Old 06-07-17, 10:47 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Bikes come partially assembled. We carry Norco and Cervelo. The Norco bikes come mostly assembled. Cervelo is a different story. I have yet to open a box where the seatpost is already in the frame. If you are unsure of what you are doing, take the bike to a shop and pay for a full assembly. Usually about $90 to $100 or so, and you will be riding worry free.
Old 06-07-17, 11:02 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I love it when people test ride bikes at a local shop and then buy online and complain about the experience.
Old 06-07-17, 11:24 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Did it come with disposable Allen wrenches like a cheap bookcase from Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.