Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How to remove Giant Cypress grips

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 06:54 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I have ordered new grips for my Giant Cypress. I had read here about Egon grips and decided to order the GC1 grips for my bike. My hands get numb sometimes and I hope this will help. I am not sure how to get the original grips off. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.
Old 06-29-14, 07:40 PM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I assume you want to save the old ones. I stick a long skinny screwdriver up under the grip from the bar end (or from the other side if not accessible) then I stick in a cable tie, and then I repeat in different spot. Eventually, you have enough ties under the grip to slide it off.

FWIW, I have Ergon grips on one of my bikes and it's the only one where my hands get numb. I believe hand numbness is a matter of fit more than anything else.
Old 06-29-14, 07:49 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have an air compressor available, you can insert a screw driver as suggested above , then blow air in the gap, when doing so, just slide off the grip. Works well
Old 06-29-14, 07:57 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
If you have an air compressor available, you can insert a screw driver as suggested above , then blow air in the gap, when doing so, just slide off the grip. Works well
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Just peel back the inside edge a bit, insert the reduced tip for the compressed air, and blow air in while sliding it off. They come right off. I saw a video on Performance Bike's website and used it myself when upgrading to Ergons myself. Works great!
Old 06-29-14, 08:19 PM
sk0tt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I slide a screwdriver under the grip and spray some water in, repeat in a different area if needed and twist them off.
Old 06-29-14, 08:22 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I put a small screwdriver between the grip and handlebar and then put some rubbing alcohol into the gap. I have a syringe with a flexible, but strong, plastic needle. You might have to squirt the alcohol in a few different places in the grip, but it will come right off after a minute. I also install grips the same way, splash the inside of the grip with alcohol and slide it on, it will set up as the rubbing alcohol evaporates. This method has never harmed any of my grips.
Old 06-30-14, 08:33 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You guys are making this way tooooooo difficult --- just use a wrench size barely larger than the handlebar - push it against the inside of the grip, and it pops right off ----- just reversing the compression that was used to install it!
Old 06-30-14, 08:57 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Doesn't get any easier than using compressed air ... (in the video, it's the second method after the lockout ring grips). I think I removed the original equipment Oval Ergo grips that came on my bike in about 20 seconds or so, if that long, after watching this video. The replacement Ergon GP2 grips slide on without the air and have the lock screw on the outside rather than using pressure to remain in place.

How To Replace Your Mountain Bike Grips - Performance Bike Learning Center
Old 06-30-14, 09:05 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Everyone doesn't have compressors, and I can take two grips off faster than 20 seconds, just using a crescent wrench.
Old 06-30-14, 09:26 AM
camjr

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Everyone doesn't have compressors, and I can take two grips off faster than 20 seconds, just using a crescent wrench.
I guess it gets down to there not being a right way or wrong way as long as they come off - I was pointing out options, just as you were, and I didn't mean for it to turn into a grip removal speed contest thread. I used to use crescent wrenches to do it years ago when I was always changing BMX grips. That worked for me. The only problem I had with compressed air is my compressor regulator was set to 100psi, and the second grip I removed shot across the garage when I didn't have a good grip on it .

Cheers