Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Very off-topic, SOS.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Very off-topic, SOS.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 06:41 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Marine cooks could be some mean SOB's, had a tradition of doing more with less, but also of being less than interested in criticism (likely because of doing more with less)...vicious circle. They also were expert riflemen, by and large, so go figure.

So, while the vast majority of the SOS in garrison was excellent, the vast majority of it in the field, being a Spam variation with powdered milk, was awful.

We called it "dit-dah" in the field. This was a shorthand reference to Morse code and the dots/dashes for the SOS signal. Some cooks took exception to the SOS reference. Not wanting to cause trouble, get shot, or be marked men in the mess tent, we ate it, and all the other Spam meals, with gusto. This was no small feat.

Often, we'd be on a NATO operation , generally funded by the US, and watched other NATO forces living large on the influx of US cash, eating well while we ate Spam 3x/day. I preferred C-rats.

Today, I will eat SOS, but a Pavlovian reflex has me looking for a restroom as soon as practical, so I can "put it behind me" and get on with the day.

Does that answer your question, sir?
(I have no doubt you relate to that!)
I'm the offspring of a couple of Marines, born on flag day. It took them a while to live that down. So far the only weird side effect I've noticed is being incapable of falling asleep in the same room a with dirty rifle. I have to either clean it or sleep elsewhere. Being able to locate your weapon in total darkness by smell isn't weird, not for any regular user of Hoppes or Break-Free CLP.

Don't know about the hamburger thing. I always thought SOS was a way to convert home made jerky into *real* food instead of just a snack.

Last edited by JoeKahno; 08-05-19 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For JoeKahno:
Old 08-05-19, 08:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
C&V cycling food?

My grandfather, a retired USN chief and WW2 vet, used to rhapsodize about SOS all of the time, usually calling by its full name to irk my squarish mom (his daughter). He actually loved the stuff. My father, a retired IFNO (inside joke to former Marines), never mentioned it, though he must have had it. I used to eat it as a kid. It was still on the school lunch menu in the 70s, but made with hamburger instead of dried beef. "chipped beef on toast" not SOS.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-05-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 03:44 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
MC Treats

My mother used to make SOS on Sunday mornings... With chipped dried beef or ground beef or Spam which she cut into little blocks like bricks. Always on toast. I liked the ground beef with Worcester sauce the best.

When I went into the Corps I was told I could have all the SOS I wanted... How can you take bad ingredients and make them worse? The MC got Grade D or Ungraded Beef!

One time on mess duty at PI, and old Sgt. cook, grabbed a mop out of my hands and used the wooden end to stir a big cauldron of something.

@RobbieTunes , @qcpmsame @sloar

"Fried Baloney" ? No one has mentioned HC (cold cuts).

I always hated the last week on board ship coming off of a cruise. We got fried baloney and undoctored baked beans 3 meals a day. The sailors were saving the "good" food for after we disembarked.

We used to squirrel away cases of C-Rats for the occasion. B-1 Units, B-2 Units, B-3 Units, MY OH MY! Ham-n-Limas were great for generating sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfate...

We always volunteered to be up on deck during high line replenishment at sea, especially before a landing. Good things like cases of canned ham, Spam, etc. got comshawed as they were getting passed below deck.

I was in the engineers. We used to sidle up to the Seabees on the beach, they had prime steak they cooked on Coleman grills. Once in a while they'd throw us a bone.

C-Rats were always better than field mess which guaranteed a case of the skids.

... every days a holiday and every meals a feast!

\

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-06-19 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-06-19, 04:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
surströmming

Originally Posted by styggno1
In Sweden SOS (apart from being the distress signal) is Smör, Ost och Sill (butter, cheese and pickled herring). A traditional standard course during summer. You order an SOS, cold lager and a schnapps. Had it yesterday. Probably once a week during May to September.
You're not talking about "surströmming" are you?

"During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while allowing it to ferment. A fermentation process of at least six months gives the fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world."

... ätit med massor av snaps!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-06-19, 09:29 AM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I had SOS almost every morning when I was in the Air Force, I liked it then and I still like it, but I eat way less of it 50 years later because it will put the pounds on you later in life, so I treat myself to one small serving of SOS once a month. I miss the days when I could eat three squares a day and not gain weight, now I eat a salad, some yogurt and a piece of chicken for dinner.
Old 08-06-19, 04:37 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

Yep, that's the can opener we recently talked about, somewheres here. 😁 On a similar note, of useful items, I just acquired this recently, for a quarter. 😎
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-07-19, 08:09 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I was never in the military but my dad said he loved it in the Air Force. He used to get as much as he could from the guys who were complaining about it. We used to have it fairly regularly growing up. I still love it.
I was in the Air Force in a maintenance squadron and I can't remember seeing that much. I suppose it was there and I just avoided it.
Old 08-07-19, 09:41 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I was in the Air Force in a maintenance squadron and I can't remember seeing that much. I suppose it was there and I just avoided it.
My dad was in during the Korean War and mostly deployed in Nevada as an airplane mechanic.