Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to dress for metric century in the rain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to dress for metric century in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 05:47 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
If you do decide to do the ride and the rain forecast holds, just be prepared for the worst in terms of clothes/layers.

Several years ago, I did a ride that started intending to be following the 85 mile route but switched to the metric century as the weather soured.

The forecast the morning I started on the ride was chilly with a chance of brief showers but expected to clear up and get warmer soon after the 7:00/7:30 start. Well, it never got warmer and the rain came down throughout the ride with only brief breaks. I had dressed fairly light ... base layer long-sleeve shirt, cycling jersey over that, and a rain jacket. If the original forecast held, that would have been fine and I could have taken the rain jacket off not long after the start. I ride in the winter so I'm comfortable being in the cold if I've got enough layers on. But I have never been more cold and uncomfortable on a ride as this one - although it ends up being the one I talk about the most! As an aside, this ride is known for its baked potatoes at one of the last rest stops. I will say that a nice hot baked potato with all the fixings NEVER tasted as good as the one I ate that day.

Full transparency, this ride was mid-October in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts so the risk of much colder weather was likely much higher than you'll experience in MD this time of year (and throw in slick, wet roads with fresh-fallen leaves on long descents!).

I'm not a fan of riding in the rain but do be prepared for the worst case if you do the ride!
Likes For dennis336:
Old 04-26-23, 05:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'll be doing six of those metric centuries that day and not too far from Md weatherwise. I'm planning high temps in 60's and lows in the high 40's with some wet. OP should plan on low 50's to start. Hypothermia is a modest risk for OP

Wool SS jersey, arm warmers, Goretex rain jacket and pants, wool socks, leg warmers, helmet cover or hat inside at an absolute minimum if rain and in low 50's. An extra supply of sugar in case you get cold, shivering requires glucose (type 2 muscles do the job of shivering). If I ever find rain booties that are waterproofy and work with midsole cleat placement, I would bring those in heavier rain. Fenders are nice but you will get wet with them too. Oh, I found heavy content lanolin to work best and last long time in the rain (on one's derriere)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-26-23, 09:01 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
I’ve ridden in temps below freezing - but the coldest and most uncomfortable I’ve been on a bike was during a road ride in the low 40’s in rain

nasty ... cold ... my ears were reddish purple and swollen

was probably one of the more uncomfortable things I’ve done during the winter - and to put it into perspective ... I rode off-road MTB year round and was also an avid snowmobiler and year-round dirt biker (we rode studded tires during winter)

and that 35 or so mile road ride ride basically consumed what life remained of the RX100 components on a ‘winter bike’

Last edited by t2p; 04-26-23 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-27-23, 11:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I’ve ridden in temps below freezing - but the coldest and most uncomfortable I’ve been on a bike was during a road ride in the low 40’s in rain
nasty ... cold ... my ears were reddish purple and swollen
was probably one of the more uncomfortable things I’ve done during the winter - and to put it into perspective ... I rode off-road MTB year round and was also an avid snowmobiler and year-round dirt biker (we rode studded tires during winter)
and that 35 or so mile road ride ride basically consumed what life remained of the RX100 components on a ‘winter bike’
+1
wet hands can be pretty painful
Old 04-27-23, 01:38 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
Hello, everyone! Noob here.The search function here on BF provided little help.

I'm riding a MC in Ocean City Md. on May 6 and the forecast calls for 60% chance of rain and temp high 60s; NW wind at 15 gusts to 24mph.

At home, I won't ride in the rain so I don't worry about these things. However, I registered for the Maryland Coast Bike Festival for the chance to ride flat and with lotsa oxygen. I want to do this ride regardless of weather.

Internet searching has me believing that a Gore Tex waterproof jacket is advisable and I plan to buy one.

What about shorts? I've seen conflicting reports as to whether Spandex is waterproof or not.

Finally, suggestions for socks?

Many thanks! eljayski

You've stated that you don't ride in the rain or have not. I would be more worried about riding in the rain than getting wet. I have done my share of riding in the rain from metric's to a century and believe me, riding in the rain is way different than dry riding. As others have said, there is no way to stay dry, period. Your feet will be absolutely soaked. Go with shorts too as it is easier to stay warmer if your legs are exposed because they do not hold water like long bike shorts. I would concentrate to try and keep my core warm/dry. Apart from that, you will be soaked.

As for riding, again, I highly recommend you move off a line from following directly behind because that spray from the rear wheel is like getting hit with a hose. Braking is another big issue in the wet as is turning. Take your turns much slower or you will find it quite easy for your wheels to slip out and you will go down. Glasses? Avoid them if possible because they will get very blurry with rain hitting them. I take mine off and pocket them because it is easier to see without them in the rain. Pocket them for later because in my experiences, you usually will run out of or into the rain. Rarely does it rain the entire ride or at least for me, I have yet to ride an entire MC in total rain. So, you could ride in and out of rain. If you are in the 60's you should be OK with a jacket of some sort. Remember, your core is still going to warm up, so you should not be that cold. You will be miserable though and very dirty at the end. Riding in the rain does take some added cautions from you but you must also be extra diligent of the riders around you. No quick lane changes or passes, go slower around turns, add in some additional distance for braking. Mostly all the same stuff you would do driving a car.

Ohh, make sure you bring plenty of dry clothes to change into after the ride. That is when I usually got the coldest was after the ride and changed. Most of all have some fun and realize you are going to get wet and everyone else is suffering too.

john
Old 04-27-23, 03:05 PM
GhostRider62

I would not ride a paceline unless you know the other riders well and the sport fenders with an effective flap.

The weather forecast has improved dramatically. GL on the ride.
Old 04-27-23, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74

Ohh, make sure you bring plenty of dry clothes to change into after the ride. That is when I usually got the coldest was after the ride and changed.
john
There is something special about changing out of wet clothes after a long ride. I even change after dry rides. Don’t understand how people can hang out in their riding clothes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-27-23, 05:32 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The weather forecast has improved dramatically. GL on the ride.
I've noted that too . . . just hope it doesn't change back to unfavorable. Thanks for the kind wish!
Old 04-29-23, 10:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Rain sucks. I have done an event near me and it was in winter in the rain a couple times and was brutal I was stupid and didn't bring extra clothes because I thought I would just be riding back and didn't want to carry extra stuff and all these stupid excuses because I didn't know what the plans would be. In the end I regret those decisions highly. I did wear waterproof gear and ended up still getting soaked. I recommend good layering with plenty of moisture wicking layers and stuff to help block the wind as others have suggested. I would probably go for waterproof socks and maybe some rain covers for the shoes and probably a helmet cover though but rain wear elsewhere may or may not be what you want.

Also those fenders are going to be real nice. I didn't not have them on my rain rides on my road bike and wish I did. I guess one year on one of the longer rides I did I had a rear clip on fender which was nice but yeah still soaked.

Also some sort of chamois stuff is good. I love Bike Glide from Body Glide but they make a small stick of Body Glide that is easy to take with you if you find you tend to need it. Me personally I just stick with the BG and do fine for the day but in some heavy rain it might not be a bad thing to have a little extra. I chafe easily so coating up with that is nice and it is easy to apply just like a deodorant stick for your privates and if I am doing a longer ride I will usually run a lighter or torch over it when I am done when I have to bring up the rear if you catch my drift just so I don't contaminate but if you keep things nice and clean it is less of an issue but still worth being careful.

The biggest thing which I touched on earlier is have extra dry clothes either with you or better yet with your gear or SAG or whatever in a safe dry place you will want it and having to carry it would have been worth it for me on those rides I mentioned earlier as in the end we were tabling at the event so I could have just shoved it into our trailer or vehicle and had them take it there and back.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-30-23, 05:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Body Glide

I like this stuff but would sometimes get a stick that was dried out and flaky. I discovered a similar product from Gold Bond. It's less expensive and readily available (Walmart.) Maybe the turn over is better at WM than the bike shop, I haven't bought one that wasn't OK.
Old 04-30-23, 06:38 AM
GhostRider62

You guys that chafe, are you riding in cycling bibs? You know the skin tight black spandex with chamois-type pad? In rainy conditions, the private area will eventually get wet and you want a viscous lube that prevents your skin from getting raw. Many lubes lose their luster in a couple of hours and you need to re-apply. Or just use a lube that withstands the rain.

I carry glide when backpacking if hiking in regular shorts because they make the inner thighs and private areas more susceptible to chafing or at least for me. Generally I hike in crew shorts that are very similar to cycling spandex shorts but w/o a pad. The abrasion is thus transferred to the spandex and I almost never need to use glide. If I wear regular shorts, the abrasion is on my skin and glide is essential. That is kind of a key reason for tight cycling kit on the legs. Assos took it even further in how they designed the pad to move.

Anyhow, OP is going to have a lovely day with temps 55F at the start and 68F at the finish with no rain.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-01-23, 05:06 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
So, your forecast has improved greatly...

Sat @ 8am = 54deg, clear skies and zero wind.

The coastal storm is tracking south - for now.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-01-23, 10:55 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'll be doing six of those metric centuries that day
600km = 372 miles? That's a big day in the saddle!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-01-23, 04:31 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Don’t forget Ski Goggles. If it rains you want to see and they’ll be plenty of water in your face from other riders as well.
Old 05-01-23, 04:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
It looks like you're reprieved! But just in case you want to ride on a day when it DOES rain, a rear fender can make the difference between a long, wet ride being an adventure, and it being a miserable death march. I use one that clamps on to the seatpost, and it makes a HUGE difference.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-02-23, 08:04 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Going without a shirt in the rain is like a cheat code, so simple so obvious, but it works
Old 05-02-23, 09:42 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Going without a shirt in the rain is like a cheat code, so simple so obvious, but it works
You're trying too hard. Be subtle.
Old 05-02-23, 10:01 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I
Several years ago, I did a ride that started intending to be following the 85 mile route but switched to the metric century as the weather soured.

The forecast the morning I started on the ride was chilly with a chance of brief showers but expected to clear up and get warmer soon after the 7:00/7:30 start. Well, it never got warmer and the rain came down throughout the ride with only brief breaks. I had dressed fairly light ... base layer long-sleeve shirt, cycling jersey over that, and a rain jacket. If the original forecast held, that would have been fine and I could have taken the rain jacket off not long after the start. I ride in the winter so I'm comfortable being in the cold if I've got enough layers on. But I have never been more cold and uncomfortable on a ride as this one - although it ends up being the one I talk about the most! As an aside, this ride is known for its baked potatoes at one of the last rest stops. I will say that a nice hot baked potato with all the fixings NEVER tasted as good as the one I ate that day.

Full transparency, this ride was mid-October in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts so the risk of much colder weather was likely much higher than you'll experience in MD this time of year (and throw in slick, wet roads with fresh-fallen leaves on long descents!!
I was in that same ride (GRR); started out to do the century, but bailed out when I couldn't stop shivering at the church with the potatoes.
I remember seeing someone taking off from there to finish the century wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, shorts and cycling sandals!
Just shook my head.

Vowed never to ride in the rain again if I could avoid it.
Old 05-02-23, 10:18 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I was in that same ride (GRR); started out to do the century, but bailed out when I couldn't stop shivering at the church with the potatoes.
I remember seeing someone taking off from there to finish the century wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, shorts and cycling sandals!
Just shook my head.

Vowed never to ride in the rain again if I could avoid it.
Yes, the Great River Ride! Normally, a really great course but that day was the hardest of my cycling life! My wife actually texted me to see how I was doing. She never does that even when she thinks I may be getting in over my head on a ride. But, she had a sense this day was not going well weather-wise. I just texted back "I'm cold and I'm wet ... 8 more miles to go").

Good decision by you to stop at that time - sounds like you were close to hypothermia ... I did switch to the metric century course which included a long, steep descent not long after leaving the church ... cold and wet, and with the road slick with leaves on the road - quite terrifying!

So someone did the century course with a long-sleeve T-shirt!?!?! Wow, just WOW! A different genetic structure than I have!

And, me too ... now, if there's a chance of rain, I'll generally just say "No, thank you"!
Old 05-06-23, 05:29 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Good ride!

Pleased to report that today's weather turned out to be perfect, sunny and cool with minimal wind. Thanks to all who offered their suggestions and insights!
Likes For eljayski:
Old 05-06-23, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Fenders might be nice when in the rain. But you don't get that distinctive dirty streak down the back of your jersey that lets everyone know how badass you are.

Don't skip the ride just because you can't find fenders. I've not been bothered by the spray on my back.
obviously you didn’t ride far enough. That’s when the accumulated muddy water on your back runs down between your cheeks and soaks your chamois. Now that was a good time. Not. And that was a one day double.

the worst was descending a mountain pass in a downpour becoming hypothermic with teeth chattering and soaked to the bone and having a flat 20 miles from the finish (a century ride). Besides grit in my bike shorts and cramped hands, I would rate the ride a 1 out of 10.

after that I vowed no more long rides in the rain. Btdt

Last edited by rsbob; 05-06-23 at 08:27 PM.