Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cue Sheets

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 03:44 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm a big fan of cue sheets. A gps is fine, but if you don't know the course, a backup cue sheet is really good to have. Also, if you don't know the course, following along on a map ahead of time is a really good idea. Ride with gps makes pretty good cue sheets now, although I still think it can fail to generate a cue under certain circumstances.
I go to Map My Ride and write it down by hand as I examine the map. This way, I can be relatively-sure that everything is accurate.
Old 09-30-23, 04:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I go to Map My Ride and write it down by hand as I examine the map. This way, I can be relatively-sure that everything is accurate.
Please post a link to your MySpace page.

Seriously…I map on RWGPS and type paper cue sheets. Helps me internalize the route.

On rare occasions, I will make a mistake, like indicating a left rather than a right. While on tour in 2017 I ran into a couple in Wallace, ID who had done poor planning and only had a high level map. One of my cue sheets was helpful to them, so I gave it to them. (I had extras.) Before I did, I noticed a mistake and corrected it with a pen. I think that made them wary. Sometimes wonder if they made it to Glacier N.P.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-30-23, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Please post a link to your MySpace page.

Seriously…I map on RWGPS and type paper cue sheets. Helps me internalize the route.

On rare occasions, I will make a mistake, like indicating a left rather than a right. While on tour in 2017 I ran into a couple in Wallace, ID who had done poor planning and only had a high level map. One of my cue sheets was helpful to them, so I gave it to them. (I had extras.) Before I did, I noticed a mistake and corrected it with a pen. I think that made them wary. Sometimes wonder if they made it to Glacier N.P.
Using RWGPS, download the CSV file, open it in a spreadsheet. Change the distance number property to 10ths not 100ths. Copy, open it in a word processor and create a table. Once you figure out how to make it look the way you want, save it and then reopen, getting rid of all the data, saving only the format as a template.

After creating or before using someone else's route, I run the RWGPS Review Cues tool on it. I can never believe how many errors people make on their RWGPS routes - which can totally mess you up if you're using a device. I think the commonest error is viewing the route too zoomed out and putting control points off to one side, thus creating extra false cues. I never use a route I haven't corrected.
Old 09-30-23, 07:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Both road clubs I ride with have cue sheets on their web pages. If you want one you can print it from there.

When I joined the main club in 1989 the club printed and kept paper files of all the route slips, or cue sheets. One guy had a room dedicated to these things and if there were 4 rides on the schedule he would take 4 stacks of the sheets to the ride start and pick up the unused ones after everyone had left, or after the ride if he was riding.

The old guard in the club fought against putting the routes on-line but eventually gave in. They also put the newsletter and other club stuff on the web. We used to collate and staple the newsletter at club monthly meetings.
Old 09-30-23, 08:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
I do not want the radiation of wireless devices…
I guess you aren’t carrying a phone.

A Garmin isn’t radiating while you are riding.

(There are a uses when it does but you don’t have to use them.)
Old 10-01-23, 05:37 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I guess you aren’t carrying a phone.

A Garmin isn’t radiating while you are riding.

(There are a uses when it does but you don’t have to use them.)
It seems to me that the unit (on the handlebars) would always be receiving a signal, and that when I am down in the drops, my body would be in contact with the unit, over the heart or thymus area. Maybe I am wrong about that. From what you are saying, it may be that the unit must be turned on before any sort of transmission occurs. Can you confirm? If so, thank you for the correction.
No, I do not carry a phone. As you may know, non-ionizing radiation levels must far-exceed those produced by a cell phone to actually break cell walls (creating conditions for cancer), but close-proximity to these devices does upset mitochondrial activity. This can lead to similar conditions. This is why I am wary of them.

From Energy Theory website:

If you use them daily for less than six hours, they are comparable to cell phones and should not be seen as a problem. Garmin equipment can lead to the absorption of non-ionizing and RF radiation by the skin because they are worn close to it.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 10-01-23 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-01-23, 05:56 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Exactly. It is this internalization that I have found to be effective. You use an impact type-writer? I thought I was the only one who still used one (only for formal communications, though). In other news, I don't use My Space (or ICQ) anymore. Sorry to dis-appoint.
Old 10-01-23, 05:57 AM
njkayaker

It seems to me that the unit (on the handlebars) would always be receiving a signal, and that when I am down in the drops, my body would be in contact with the unit, over the heart or thymus area. Maybe I am wrong about that. From what you are saying, it may be that the unit must be turned on before any sort of transmission occurs. Can you confirm? If so, thank you for the correction.
“Receiving a signal” means the radiation is coming from somewhere else. So, you’d be exposed to that with or without a Garmin.

The devices can transmit radiation (they’d be a source in that case) but it would be at very low power since it’s not transmitting very far (a few feet). Cellphones are transmitting much longer distances. The Garmins try to conserve power, which means they’d minimize how often they’d transmit. Cellphones, when they are not being used, will also try to minimize transmission.

(Note that I have no interest in having you change whatever you choose to do or not do. The “mitochondria” thing sounds like something being promoted by Mercola.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-01-23 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-01-23, 06:09 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Depends upon your ride & how much info you need. I used both RWGPS and self generated cue sheets on a coast to coast race. The cue sheet served as both backup navigation and to identify services, gaps in services and warnings to stock up on food and water. Also various sights along the way. Served me well.
Likes For gif4445:
Old 10-01-23, 06:18 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

njkayaker, well.., when I reach for my cue sheet, I don't have to wonder whether it is on airplane or bluetooth mode. Dr. Mercola has a lot of good information, but he, like several naturopaths and functional medicine doctors, somewhat squandered their reputations by vaccine denial.
Old 10-01-23, 06:34 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Good thought. Thread moved from Training to General
Yeah, throw him to the wolves
Old 10-01-23, 06:35 AM
njkayaker

njkayaker, well.., when I reach for my cue sheet, I don't have to wonder whether it is on airplane or bluetooth mode. Dr. Mercola has a lot of good information, but he, like several naturopaths and functional medicine doctors, somewhat squandered their reputations by vaccine denial.
Again, I’m not trying to get you to change what you are doing.

The Garmins are mostly in “airplane mode” (regarding transmission). So, there isn’t any need to wonder.

Mercola is not a reliable source of information. He might be right about some things but you should be able to get that information from people who haven’t “squandered their reputation”. In any case, his position on vaccines was expected from his prior reputation (which was bad).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-01-23 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-01-23, 06:37 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Again, I’m not trying to get you to change what you are doing.

Mercola is not a reliable source of information. He might be right about some things but you should be able to get that information for people who haven’t “squandered their reputation”. In any case, his position on vaccines was expected from his prior reputation (which was bad).
I can respect your opinion.
Old 10-01-23, 06:39 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by gif4445
Depends upon your ride & how much info you need. I used both RWGPS and self generated cue sheets on a coast to coast race. The cue sheet served as both backup navigation and to identify services, gaps in services and warnings to stock up on food and water. Also various sights along the way. Served me well.
Having a sheet with this extra information could be useful.

Cue sheets are primarily a list of turns. This other stuff is kind of secondary. That is, you can have this stuff without needing the stuff that characterizes a cue sheet.

The turn information isn’t very useful as a backup. Anybody who has the time to train or participate in a cross country race should be able to afford a backup GPS.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-01-23 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-01-23, 06:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I’m old enough to remember using cue sheets and paper maps to navigate routes. GPS has long since made those items totally redundant for me.
Old 10-01-23, 08:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I always enjoyed reading and studying maps and don't use GPS...If I am going into an unknown area I will study Google Maps or paper maps and sometimes take a sheet of paper and make notes, drawings and sketches of the route which I plan on taking. I find it pretty easy to memorize routes from Google Maps and after riding them once it's in my memory forever.
Old 10-01-23, 09:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
FWIW, here was the last format for route sheets I built manually for our bike tours. Before RWGPS was usable:

Following a GPS is much simpler.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-02-23, 04:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
The fatal flaw of depending on cue sheets (beyond how to carry them and keep the dry, etc) is when you miss a cue and keeping hoping you will see the next cue soon... I used to copy a map page on the back of the cue sheet but on long rides the resolution was so low you could never read road names to try to get back on track.

My Wahoo, and I'm sure all GPS units these days, gives you map view, cue sheet view etc. On multi-day rides I carry paper backup but could also use my phone as backup.

I do remember downloading a special Windows font for cue sheets back in the pre-GPS days.
Old 10-02-23, 05:31 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Interestingly, the D2R2 gravel ride - a fairly prominent gravel ride in Massachusetts/Vermont - has on their website the following:

PLEASE USE CUE SHEETS to navigate routes. Maps and GPS files are for basic reference but may have minor inconsistencies. In true Randonnee style - please use your cue sheet.

If you intend to only use a GPS to navigate the route, please at least take the time to read through the cue sheet pre-ride as it also contains important cautionary information as well as useful route divergence information.

They actually recommend using the cue sheets.

As an aside, I made up my own Google Maps/cue sheet for a ride I did yesterday. I was generally familiar with the area but wanted to do a specific loop and wasn't sure I'd recall it without the map.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 10-02-23, 06:06 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by gif4445
Yeah. I will sometimes list things like that, especially if I think I might have to cut a day short due to something like weather.

Heh. Muddy Gap. Has to be the easiest crossing of the western Continental Divide. Haven't been there since 2000. Spent the night before in Jeffrey City and got up early to beat the wind on the way to Rawlins on July 4th. Saw several pronghorns.

Jeffrey City is a strange place with an interesting history. Talked about it with a one-legged woman at the bar in town. I see someone has revived the old JC Motel. I read a review shortly before it closed. The cycle tourist said there were mushrooms growing out of the carpet in his room. IIRC, that was late 2000s. Only motel I have ever stayed in that did not take credit cards. The old woman who took my money was on oxygen and smoking a cigarette.
Old 10-02-23, 06:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dennis336
Interestingly, the D2R2 gravel ride - a fairly prominent gravel ride in Massachusetts/Vermont - has on their website the following:

PLEASE USE CUE SHEETS to navigate routes. Maps and GPS files are for basic reference but may have minor inconsistencies. In true Randonnee style - please use your cue sheet.

If you intend to only use a GPS to navigate the route, please at least take the time to read through the cue sheet pre-ride as it also contains important cautionary information as well as useful route divergence information.

I have done that event twice. I can understand why. Despite being in MA and VT, it uses some pretty remote roads. Some are old carriage roads still paved with cobbles. Might not be accurately captured on GPS or even maps.

Great event, BTW. I went to high school at Deerfield Academy. Four-year man. Class of '83. I have stopped by the campus a few times during tours from VT home to Philly. The juxtaposition of the luxury (e.g., relatively new, $82 million athletic complex with indoor hockey rink) and nearby Greenfield, which supposedly has the highest rate of opioid addiction in MA, is striking.
Old 10-02-23, 07:01 AM
dennis336

I have done that event twice. I can understand why. Despite being in MA and VT, it uses some pretty remote roads. Some are old carriage roads still paved with cobbles. Might not be accurately captured on GPS or even maps.

Great event, BTW. I went to high school at Deerfield Academy. Four-year man. Class of '83. I have stopped by the campus a few times during tours from VT home to Philly. The juxtaposition of the luxury (e.g., relatively new, $82 million athletic complex with indoor hockey rink) and nearby Greenfield, which supposedly has the highest rate of opioid addiction in MA, is striking.
Oh, wow, small world! I'm in Central CT - about an hour from Deerfield. I haven't done the formal D2R2 ride but, speaking of cue sheets, I have gone to their site, printed down some cue sheets and have driven up several times to piece together different sections of the course. Couple times I made my way over to the Jacksonville Country Store - one of those classic VT general stores - for a break, refreshment and, if lucky, homemade cookies!

But, yeah, a beautiful area albeit relentlessly hilly. I can survive fairly long climbs if the grade is moderate but I don't have many of those steep gravel climbs left in these 70 year old legs!

(Didn't realize that about Greenfield - really sad. CT has also had very high drug/opiod overdose deaths).

Last edited by dennis336; 10-02-23 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 07:51 AM
njkayaker

I have done that event twice.
With or without GPS?

I can understand why. Despite being in MA and VT, it uses some pretty remote roads. Some are old carriage roads still paved with cobbles. Might not be accurately captured on GPS or even maps.
You don’t need maps to use a GPS if you have a track. The road conditions seems irrelevant. The maps don’t have to be very accurate either.

If they can create a cue sheet, they can update the Openstreetmap map. If they are riding the route to verify the cue sheet, they can get a track.

If the ride is basically the same course every year, there is even less reason not to update the maps.

This ride could be one where supplemental information is more necessary than usual.

A major problem with cue sheets (being not very useful if you go off them) would likely be much more of a problem on this sort of ride.

They provide GPS routes on RWGPS. The cue sheets are in RWGPS (with extensive updates).

https://www.franklinlandtrust.org/d2r2-routes/

All of the 180k is on roads that are on the map (Google and OSM).

Originally Posted by D2R2
This seems partly motivated by “tradition”. It also may partly be a CYA thing because the cue sheets might have warnings that they don’t want people to not read.

I don’t think this ends up being any argument that “cue sheets are better”.

The real question is how many of the riders use GPS. I bet it’s most of them. The organizers probably realize that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-02-23 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 09:06 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by dennis336

Mostly for "tradition" and for CYA. I suspect.

I suspect most of the participants use GPS. If so, it's likely that the organizers are aware of it.
Old 10-02-23, 09:19 AM
dennis336

Mostly for "tradition" and for CYA. I suspect.

I suspect most of the participants use GPS. If so, it's likely that the organizers are aware of it.
That could well be that many do use a GPS although I've always ridden the course on my own so can't tell, INDYFAZ may have noticed when he road the formal event. As you noted, it may be partly tradition as the ride organizers do generally promote the idea of being independent and able to figure things out ... like finding your way around, doing on-the-spot repairs (don't quote me but I don't think they have SAG support) and, if needed, making the call of shame to get a ride home (at least with my carrier, much of the courses are out of cell range). But some of the roads are pretty sketchy so probably the cue sheet at least as an alternative is probably a good idea (they don't mark the turns on the roads like many group/charity rides).

Full disclosure, while I don't have a bike gps, I would download an offline map of the area and, if I was confused on the timing to make a turn, would zero in on my current location to see if I appeared to be on track. At least for the times I used the off-line maps, I was able to confirm my location.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.