Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

ISO: OA Bath Service. Anyone?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 08:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts

Good Morning. Is there anyone, hopefully reasonably close to me, who would do an AO bath and inside frame for me? I know some of you have done it several times with fabulous results and I would like to find someone to do a MAX tube Bianchi for me. The frame will of course arrived completely stripped of all parts. If interested it may be more than one frame over a period of time.

Alternatively how hard hard is it? I have no garage or hose just a back yard

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-15-18, 09:19 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
It's actually pretty easy - Here's a tutorial :
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

You can use a kiddie pool, if the frame fits, or make a frame from 2x8's, and line it with plastic sheet, or just dig a hole in the ground, and line it.
It's not a violent acid reaction at all - No bubbling / foaming or anything like that .
It actually takes a while - Maybe 24 hrs +/-

It won't remove paint or affect chrome, so the original finish will be safe, if that's important.
HOWEVER - Do NOT soak a red-painted frame, if you want to save the paint - The OA will fade RED paint, due to the iron oxide pigments in it.

Oh, one more thing - You need to de-grease the frame pretty good, first - The OA won't work well if there's a coating of grease or oil
Old 12-15-18, 01:27 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I've used a bike box with one side cut off then lined with heavy weight plastic as an AO tub. It's easy to set up that way, but kind of a problem when you decide you don't want it any longer. Hard to siphon off all of that liquid!
Old 12-19-18, 01:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've used a bike box with one side cut off then lined with heavy weight plastic as an AO tub. It's easy to set up that way, but kind of a problem when you decide you don't want it any longer. Hard to siphon off all of that liquid!
Can you just neutralize it with baking soda and dump it on the ground? I was thinking of doing that behind my garage. Frankly if it kills off some of the growth back there, that's fine with me.
Old 12-19-18, 06:15 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I started off slow, in a controlled manner when using this; gloves, long sleeves, eye protection. I used a 5 gal bucket from Homedepot; mixed a weak solution and dunked a couple components to see how it work. After I was done, i used baking soda to neutralize. Watch for splashing while you work.
Old 12-19-18, 08:26 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
How about skipping the toxic bath completely? Just a thought...
Old 12-20-18, 12:00 AM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Just acid, not toxic. Think lemons or limes.
Old 12-20-18, 07:50 AM
jethin

By that logic I suppose sulfuric acid is just lemons and limes too eh? Try some of that in your cocktail sometime and you’ll know there’s a difference.
Originally Posted by MrK.
Just acid, not toxic. Think lemons or limes.
Old 12-20-18, 07:56 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Can you just neutralize it with baking soda and dump it on the ground? I was thinking of doing that behind my garage. Frankly if it kills off some of the growth back there, that's fine with me.

OA is commonly sold as wood bleach, made to clean wood fences and decks. Any idea how people cleaning decks and fences dispose of the liquid? Realize if made correctly, the solution should be about 99.5% water.

Check the chemical composition of what people spread on their lawns and shrubs sometime.

On making up a bath, I tend to do it in a campaign. Save up 4 to 6 frames, make a bath, and do all six (separately of course). I continuously keep a small container of solution in my utility sink for small parts.
Old 12-20-18, 08:01 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by wrk101
OA is commonly sold as wood bleach, made to clean wood fences and decks. Any idea how people cleaning decks and fences dispose of the liquid? Realize if made correctly, the solution should be about 99.5% water.

Check the chemical composition of what people spread on their lawns and shrubs sometime.

On making up a bath, I tend to do it in a campaign. Save up 4 to 6 frames, make a bath, and do all six (separately of course). I continuously keep a small container of solution in my utility sink for small parts.
thrifty bill a/k/a @wk101 is pretty much the guru on OA baths,

Don't you have detailed instructions on a website somewhere?
Old 12-20-18, 08:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by jethin
By that logic I suppose sulfuric acid is just lemons and limes too eh? Try some of that in your cocktail sometime and you’ll know there’s a difference.

Then with this logic, you wouldn't drink orange juice, put vinegar on a salad, or drink a Coke. Oxalic acid appears naturally in many fresh foods so better cross them off your diet. Oops, you also have acid in your stomach. Ever wonder why they sell antacids?

Vinegar = acetic acid. Look that one up, it should scare the crap out of most people.

Stomach acid = hydrochloric acid

Orange juice contains citric acid.

Active ingredient in chloraseptic (the stuff you spray into your mouth) = phenol.

Coke contains phosphoric acid (not limited to Coke either)

Sulfuric acid is an approved food additive in Europe.

Its all about concentration. Chemicals that are deadly at high concentration levels and yet be beneficial at very low concentration levels. 100% phenol is deadly, get enough on your skin and in just a few minutes you go into a coma and die. Some chemicals are not beneficial at any concentration.

thrifty bill
licensed chemical engineer

Last edited by wrk101; 12-20-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-20-18, 08:54 AM
jethin

No. By my logic (contra the false equivalence) citric acid != oxalic acid != sulfuric acid. And of course this includes relative concentration. I’m happy to ingest orange juice; concentrated oxalic acid, no thank you.

But hey, it sounds like you have experience with strong acids and enjoy working with them, so be my guest. Personally I don’t think it’s worth it.

I meant only to suggest an alternative to the OP, so I’ll be bowing out of this thread now. Happy holidays.

Then with this logic, you wouldn't drink orange juice, put vinegar on a salad, or drink a Coke. Oxalic acid appears naturally in many fresh foods so better cross them off your diet. Oops, you also have acid in your stomach. Ever wonder why they sell antacids?

Vinegar = acetic acid. Look that one up, it should scare the crap out of most people.

Stomach acid = hydrochloric acid

Orange juice contains citric acid.

Active ingredient in chloraseptic (the stuff you spray into your mouth) = phenol.

Sulfuric acid is an approved food additive in Europe.

Its all about concentration. Chemicals that are deadly at high concentration levels and yet be beneficial at very low concentration levels. 100% phenol is deadly, get enough on your skin and in just a few minutes you go into a coma and die. Some chemicals are not beneficial at any concentration.

thrifty bill
Old 12-20-18, 10:42 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

OA solution I use on rust is between 0.25 to 0.5% Thats one part acid in 200 to 400 parts water. If you feel that is concentrated, OK. There are several reasons to use such dilute concentrations. First, it works. Secondly, it lowers the hazard. Third, it's cheaper.
Old 12-20-18, 12:51 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 718 Posts
I think bianchigirl would prefer to have this done by someone and would gladly compensate for the service.

I know there's many methods in doing the OA bath but like myself i would've gone the same route as OP.

Simply paying someone to do it.
Old 12-20-18, 01:23 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
I got one of those plastic planters from the hardware store and did the four outside tubes. Fill that with warm water, and then mix the dry acid flakes in. You can't get the seat tube, but that's the only one you can actually get into to clean with a brush. Mixing the acid takes a few minutes. Waiting takes longer. Neutralize it with baking soda.

It's a weak acid, so doesn't dissociate completely. It's in the same family as acetic acid, but varies in its activity.
Old 12-20-18, 01:39 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I wish that I lived closer to IA, because I would gladly do an OA bath for anyone. I built a small wooden frame/bottomless pool that's just right for a 59-60 cm diamond frame. I place a thick vinyl pool liner into it, and fill it with a 5 gallon bucket that I mix and fill with the right concentration OA. Covering the frame takes between 20 and 25 gallons. It works a charm, and when done, I can scoop out and refill the bucket, neutralize and then pour off one at a time. I did two frames just in August this year. I've been doing it this way for a few years and dozens of frames.

When rinsing the liner and drying it before folding it away, the process very lightly bleaches my driveway and keeps it looking clean. A bonus!
Old 12-20-18, 03:11 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I wish that I lived closer to IA, because I would gladly do an OA bath for anyone. I built a small wooden frame/bottomless pool that's just right for a 59-60 cm diamond frame. I place a thick vinyl pool liner into it, and fill it with a 5 gallon bucket that I mix and fill with the right concentration OA. Covering the frame takes between 20 and 25 gallons. It works a charm, and when done, I can scoop out and refill the bucket, neutralize and then pour off one at a time. I did two frames just in August this year. I've been doing it this way for a few years and dozens of frames.

When rinsing the liner and drying it before folding it away, the process very lightly bleaches my driveway and keeps it looking clean. A bonus!
I like this. OK I'm doing this in my driveway!
Old 12-22-18, 07:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by malcala622
I think bianchigirl would prefer to have this done by someone and would gladly compensate for the service.

I know there's many methods in doing the OA bath but like myself i would've gone the same route as OP.

Simply paying someone to do it.
That was the idea. I am living with sister and I don't think she would be keen on a tub of acid sitting on her small patio. Plus I thought if it was someone close I could make a weekend trip and meet a fan or two or uh rather a member or two.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-22-18, 08:20 AM
mixteup

If you were closer, I'd do it for the cost of materials - It's really not a big deal.
Would need at least 24hrs +/- for the process - Longer in cold weather, since probably doing it outdoors.
Old 12-22-18, 11:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by mixteup
If you were closer, I'd do it for the cost of materials - It's really not a big deal.
Would need at least 24hrs +/- for the process - Longer in cold weather, since probably doing it outdoors.
It takes 24 hours?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-22-18, 02:21 PM
mixteup

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It takes 24 hours?
Yes, usually - Less if it's warm, more if it's cold - it's just chemistry

Regardless of what some posters feel, this is NOT a dangerously powerful, reactive acid -
It's used at a low concentration, and has only an affinity for ferric oxide (rust) - It won't even harm the paint (unless it's red paint).
In cool weather, I've had things soaking for a COUPLE days, to get all the rust - It doesn't further attack the steel, after the rust is gone.
So, plan on at least 24 hrs if you find someone that will do it, and it's going to be outside, or in an unheated building, etc.

Patience, Grasshopper ............
Old 12-22-18, 04:07 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I wish that I lived closer to IA, because I would gladly do an OA bath for anyone.
Obviously not familiar with the midwest. Fort Wayne, Indiana and Iowa are miles apart.

BG,
  • Get a box, a heavy duty PVC drop cloth, and Barkeepers Friend ($3.00) for another day . Or get a free tarp from HF with their coupon.
  • While you're at HD, get Savogran Wood Bleach.
  • Line the box with tarp or pvc drop cloth.
  • Fill the box with warm water, dump in about 1/4 the container of wood bleach. Stir with paint stick and dip your frame. Soak until you're happy.
OA is pretty harmless. Barkeepers Friend contains OA. I don't usually wear gloves for either OA or BF and I still have all my fingers and nails.

Last edited by oddjob2; 12-22-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 04:46 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Obviously not familiar with the midwest. Fort Wayne, Indiana and Iowa are miles apart.
Shoot. Darned abbreviations. That's why I'm not a Jeopardy champion...
Old 12-22-18, 10:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Then with this logic, you wouldn't drink orange juice, put vinegar on a salad, or drink a Coke.

Vinegar = acetic acid.

thrifty bill
I Avoid colas, vinegar is pretty strong stuff.
Old 12-23-18, 03:12 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
This is what PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) looks like:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.