Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Fat Bike?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Four Seasons Fat Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 07:55 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Four Seasons Fat Bike?

About 80% of my riding is on my two gravel bikes, and about 10% each on my road and mountain bikes. Old age and arthritis have caused me to cut back a bit on the mountain biking.

I would like to get a fat bike for my winter riding, but I don't have the space to store it. I would have to get rid of one of my other bikes. The likely candidate would be my mountain bike (a steel 29-er hard tail on which I usually run 2.25" tires).

However, I'm not sure if I want to ride a fat bike outside of the winter. Do any of you swap wheels and tires to a plus-size (say 2.6 inch width) for trail riding? How does the fat bike handle with narrower wheels and tires?

I'm in Connecticut, so the local trails are rooty and rocky with steep climbs. I ride mostly old-school cross country trails; so no hucking, jumping or other stuff that is inappropriate for old farts like me.
Old 01-19-24, 01:49 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I've been doing that on a Mukluk forever. 26" wheelset in the winter, 29+ in the summer.
It handles just fine as a 29+. It's just got huge clearance around the tires. I use it for bikepacking and an alternative to my full suspension.

The major issue is fatbikes tend to have a much wider bottom bracket, which some people don't get along with.
But, if you aim for a fatbike that's built around 4" tires, those can have something much closer to a normal mountain bike.
I recommend doing a test ride.
Likes For schnee:
Old 01-19-24, 07:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I m aware of a lot of riders here on Long Island use fat bikes all season as their primary off road bike. We have soft soil and sometimes sandy conditions, so that kind of bike seems to work well here.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-19-24, 08:22 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
I would like to get a fat bike for my winter riding, but I don't have the space to store it. I would have to get rid of one of my other bikes. The likely candidate would be my mountain bike (a steel 29-er hard tail on which I usually run 2.25" tires).

However, I'm not sure if I want to ride a fat bike outside of the winter. Do any of you swap wheels and tires to a plus-size (say 2.6 inch width) for trail riding? How does the fat bike handle with narrower wheels and tires?

I'm in Connecticut, so the local trails are rooty and rocky with steep climbs. I ride mostly old-school cross country trails; so no hucking, jumping or other stuff that is inappropriate for old farts like me.
90-95% of my off road miles are on a 4.8" fatty, all seasons.
I know of more than a few folks that ride 29er's on the fat bikes and they ride just fine. Damn near the same diameter.
Some sell 29er with fatty hubs 150/198 for a quick swap.

I have a really nimble MTB hard tail with 26x2" that is just murder on the root filled trails and has been relegated to gravel and MUP's with non-dirt friends.

Big fatties are harder to ride the same distance, there's no getting around it.
But I get a better workout and hurt less at the end of the day.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-20-24, 12:05 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Riding a fat bike on trails and non-trails is quite fun. Yes, they can be slower, but the comfort and sure footedness make up for it
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-20-24, 11:11 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
My Fattie is my only MTB. I ride trails year-round on it, though I don't ride trails as much in the summer as in the winter, I spend more time at the BMX race track and just don't have time for it.
Likes For Viich:
Old 01-24-24, 09:44 AM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 29 Posts

Year round.
Likes For tilsover:
Old 01-24-24, 12:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I ride my fat bike strictly in the winter when the snow is thick. My studded tires are on there permanently. I also have a beater mtn bike with studded tires for light snow but the ride on frozen footprints is terribly uncomfortable.

Spring, summer and fall before the frost, I ride my summer road bike.

My garage is full of other bikes for my wife and my two sons.
Old 01-31-24, 03:58 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
My Beargrease with 27.5"x3.8" is very nimble on trail year round. I'm old enough that I don't ride aggressively on trail--64--but the Beargrease could certainly do that, as could many other fatties. The thing is, a fattie can do anything an MTB can do, but not the other way around. I have my fat bike and two gravel bikes, one of them is at work for when I get a chance to get out, and I'm quite pleased with that small stable.
Old 02-05-24, 10:38 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I love using my drop-bar Pugsley year round. My main change for summer-winter is tires. I run 45NRTH Dillinger 4s in the winter and Panaracer Fat B Nimble in the summer. Also run higher tire pressure for summer conditions. I've used this bike to do some very fast (2017 Filthy 50 in under 3 hours or 17.6 mph) as well as long gravel (https://www.bikeforums.net/22195497-post28.html) events

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-13-24, 10:15 AM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Last year I replace my 190 hub fatbike and my older Trance mountain bike with a used Surly Wednesday that included a Bluto and a 27.5x3.0 wheelset. I don’t have the time now to do tons of trail riding and this let me focus on one bike. I liked the fat bike I had but the Q-factor was pretty wide on it. Fine for snow riding but too wide to be my only mountain bike. Not sure how that compares to newer 1x bikes since it was a 2x and not a particularly fancy bike. Anyway, I’m really happy with it for both. I’ll have to try some more trails this year with the full fat tires also. I do enjoy those for tooling around while camping and following game trails.
Old 03-24-24, 01:06 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Here's my Salsa Bucksaw in winter and summer mode. This bike handles extremely well with the 27.5 mid-fat wheelset (3.0 tires) and is as fun as any mountain bike I've ever owned. The only real limitation with only 100mm travel front and rear being the really rough, rocky stuff you'd find in, say, Colorado.

Likes For Maxey:
Old 03-27-24, 06:04 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Here's my Salsa Bucksaw in winter and summer mode. This bike handles extremely well with the 27.5 mid-fat wheelset (3.0 tires) and is as fun as any mountain bike I've ever owned. The only real limitation with only 100mm travel front and rear being the really rough, rocky stuff you'd find in, say, Colorado.
I'm not familiar with the Bucksaw's specs, are you limited to 3.8"? Some trail systems require 4+ in the winter here. I'm anti-suspension anyway. (I'm actually building a DJ with a pogo stick on the front right now, so maybe more suspension-curious?)
Old 03-27-24, 06:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I'll second, third or fourth the possiblility of riding a fatty as a sole mtb. I'm in central CT and do it. Ya it's a little slower, but there's almost nowhere one can't go with it. Once up to speed, it tends to stay there, and as a result, I don't hesitate to ride it up to 20 miles on pavement to get to the trails.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-27-24, 07:07 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Originally Posted by Viich
I'm not familiar with the Bucksaw's specs, are you limited to 3.8"? Some trail systems require 4+ in the winter here. I'm anti-suspension anyway. (I'm actually building a DJ with a pogo stick on the front right now, so maybe more suspension-curious?)
Yes, Bucksaw is limited to 3.8 tires. I rarely ride it in the winter anymore as I have a Trek Farley with 4.5 tires that gets around a bit better in the white stuff. The Bucksaw is my warm weather trail bike these days, so long as the trail isn't too gnarly. I have another, long-travel rig for that stuff in any case.

The short-travel suspension on the BS has a really fun, firm and responsive feel to it, and is a blast on smoother, flowy trails. At my age (60) I don't need, but like, some cushioning underneath me.
Old 03-27-24, 07:09 AM
Maxey

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I'll second, third or fourth the possiblility of riding a fatty as a sole mtb. I'm in central CT and do it. Ya it's a little slower, but there's almost nowhere one can't go with it. Once up to speed, it tends to stay there, and as a result, I don't hesitate to ride it up to 20 miles on pavement to get to the trails.
Whoa, that's a long way on a Fatty -- would be masochism to me, but good on ya for slogging it out like that.
Old 03-27-24, 11:23 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Whoa, that's a long way on a Fatty -- would be masochism to me, but good on ya for slogging it out like that.
You should check out the videos from Foresty Forest. He solo tours quite a bit on a fatty
Videos from 4 or more years ago. Lately, he's been doing local stuff
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-28-24, 09:10 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Try 95 miles on a fatty. I've done it.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-28-24, 01:25 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
How about 242 miles on a fatbike? https://www.bikeforums.net/22195497-post28.html

... plus another 8 century or longer

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-28-24 at 01:28 PM. Reason: adding some more
Old 04-01-24, 09:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
This is not something I would want to do with a Rigid Fat Bike. Full Suspension is much better.
Old 04-06-24, 12:05 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I ride my fat bike strictly in the winter when the snow is thick. My studded tires are on there permanently. I also have a beater mtn bike with studded tires for light snow but the ride on frozen footprints is terribly uncomfortable.

Spring, summer and fall before the frost, I ride my summer road bike.

My garage is full of other bikes for my wife and my two sons.
Isn't it always winter up thar?
Old 04-26-24, 11:14 AM
milesofsmiles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought my fat bike so I could get rid of my 27.5 hard tail and maybe 29er full suspension because they are heavy. The new/used 2019 Specialized Fatboy is much lighter. I plan on riding it everywhere on all surfaces, hard pack, gravel, sand, mud, water, whatever is in front of me. The first ride was in mud, one of the reasons I got it because the trails are muddy and standing water in the spring. I tried a few times to ride my 29er through it and made by sheer determination. This new bike handles it way better.
I would and plan on taking it on long rides. It rolls really well on gravel roads.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube of people bike packing on fat bikes, going really long distances some of them.
Old 04-26-24, 12:11 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by milesofsmiles
There are quite a few videos on YouTube of people bike packing on fat bikes, going really long distances some of them.
The original fat bike, Pugsley was made famous for long distances solo from somewhere in the middle to Perth (I think) over a period of 30 days unsupported.

Can't find the video... Neat trip tho