Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

dynamo hub andrim for 700x35??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 10:02 PM
batrike

Bikes: trek fx7.2/trek marlin 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody looking for a decent dynamo hub and rims for a 700x35c trek fx7.2,i would preferred if its 36 spoke.
Any good website that will lace it up and ship without costing an arm and a leg.

Sorry for that NYC,im not looking for free shipping is just that the 2 bicycle shops nearby quoted e at $875 and $1200.
just looking for a better deal.

Thank you.

Last edited by batrike; 01-23-17 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 09:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by batrike
Hey everybody looking for a decent dynamo hub and rims for a 700x35c trek fx7.2,i would preferred if its 36 spoke.
Any good website that will lace it up and ship without costing an arm and a leg.

Thank you.
Ship to where exactly? Might be able to give better answers with this info.
Old 01-22-17, 10:01 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Just as an aside:

You're paying for shipping, one way or the other--either with an explicit charge, or higher item cost. Wheels are bulky items, and are usually just large enough that shipping companies hit them with higher charges.

Of course, one wheel is easier, than two... And the smaller, the better.

You might consider asking the poster above, directly, at any rate.
Old 01-22-17, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wholesale distributors to bike shops have wheels made in a production process like those on new bikes .

their parts are at their cost, so better than the cost of having the bike shop hand build them locally.

bought locally , shipping is in the over the counter, price paid. But, buying remotely, you may pay the same price
and be charged shipping to your address.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-22-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 06:55 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts

Thank you.
Universal Cycles has a nice custom wheel page: https://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php
As above, shipping will cost a bunch no matter what. It's not the weight, it's the size: a wheel fits in a box that's larger than UPS's "oversize" box.

If you're near Portland, Universal has a brick 'n' mortar store. You can order online and pick up in person- that's what I do. (And I visit their cats.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-23-17, 04:23 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bought a dynamo wheelset from bike-discount in Germany.

There are 4 options for rim brake 700c dynamo wheels here:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop...ry_country=191
(2 of the 6 options are for centerlock disc brakes, not what you want)
They're all 32-hole, which should be fine.

Personally, I'd go with the one with the Shutter Precision PV-8 hub for $130: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...015/wg_id-8831
I have two Shimano hubs (DH-T780 and DH3N80), and my PD-8 (disc version of the PV-8) spins way more easily than either.
It's still a good deal; the SP hub alone goes for >$100 at US retail.

Bike-discount.de offers $24 flat shipping to the US, which takes 2 weeks or less. Since it's a flat shipping cost, you can stock up on lots of other things. They have excellent prices on B&M dynamo lights, Shimano components, Schwalbe tires, and little stuff like tubes, etc.
Old 01-24-17, 10:53 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Peter White
Peter White Cycles Home Page
Old 01-24-17, 10:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
With a search on: dynamo hub wheel 700

I'm coming up with options as low as <$200 and a few around $200.

Quality Wheels Front Wheel Value Rim 700c Bolt-on 36h Shimano Nexus Dynamo Blk / Alex Adventurer / DT Champion Silver | 365 Cycles
Old 01-24-17, 11:07 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Shimano Nexus Generator Hubs For Bicycles
Old 01-24-17, 09:38 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Peter White A+
Old 01-25-17, 12:07 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That's a lot of dough for wheels, but I suspect it would depend on what kind of dynamo you're going for. I have a SON28. It's great, but very expensive. The wheel that it was put in is a Mavic, double wall, eyelet, and 36 stainless steel spokes. $450, done by LBS. The killer was the dynamo at $225. The rear I think you could find a used one at your LBS, or a quick search on eBay turned up a number of wheels. I just searched up Mavic, double wall, 36 spoke, and came up with quite a few possibilities. Shimano, I am told, makes a good and dependable dynamo, that is in the $100 range. But when I get in my mind I want "something" it has to be that "something" or forget it. Hence why I have a SON28. I don't have the experience of both units, just the idea that German made is better, which is why they put a 5 year warranty with their dynamo, and Shimano only 1 year.
Peter White will not be "cheap" but it will be right. Anything bought from overseas, and you can bet that it will need to be trued. Quality probably not too bad either.
Old 01-25-17, 09:32 PM
batrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone i will check them out.
Old 01-26-17, 12:22 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'll agree with Peter White - he's up in New Hampshire, has lots of choices and will provide a good product.
Old 01-26-17, 11:02 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
ebay has plenty of cheaper options --if you trust ebay. Dynamo's are pretty hearty in my experience (I have built up and use several) so I might consider an ebay version. just my opinion. Are you wanting full build and install done for you? Wiring it up correctly is a little bit more than snapping stuff together (soldering connectors, quick release options for changing tires/flats, etc).

Peter White is also very helpful even if you're building up all the stuff.

Last edited by dbg; 01-26-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 06:51 PM
batrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for all the input, I ended up going with https://www.bike-discount.de
They had the best prices, got a good mavic A319 FW and RW rim and dynamo hub, lights, tires, Space Grip also the E-werk and cache battery and a lot of miscellaneous.
I would have preferred a local store,I checked out Peter White, but his online store is slow and outdated and prices are double if not tripled, don’t get me wrong great store good information. Everything ended up costing me less than $400.

Last edited by batrike; 02-02-17 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 01:59 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for all the input, I ended up going with https://www.bike-discount.de
They had the best prices, got a good mavic A319 FW and RW rim and dynamo hub, lights, tires, Space Grip also the E-werk and cache battery and a lot of miscellaneous.
I would have preferred a local store,I checked out Peter White, but his online store is slow and outdated and prices are double if not tripled, don’t get me wrong great store good information. Everything ended up costing me less than $400.
Looks like a great deal there. I wish they offered that hub in a Disc Brake version and wheel.
Old 02-03-17, 06:39 AM
Donnie Johnson
Donnie Jonhson

Bikes: Many, mostly old, steel, heavy and beautiful + one titanium bike; pretty much the complete opposite of my other bikes.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd consider starbikes.com. They are also in Germany and sell a whole range of components. I purchased a Schmidt dynamo last year and build the wheel up myself. They have a wheel building service. Last time I checked they stocked the shutter precision dynamos, apparently they work well and are moderately priced relative to the son delux. If the sp was available I would have given it proper consideration.
Old 02-03-17, 06:53 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Donnie Johnson
I'd consider starbikes.com. They are also in Germany and sell a whole range of components. I purchased a Schmidt dynamo last year and build the wheel up myself. They have a wheel building service. Last time I checked they stocked the shutter precision dynamos, apparently they work well and are moderately priced relative to the son delux. If the sp was available I would have given it proper consideration.
The SP is a great hub at about half the price. I use one myself and have sold a couple.