Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike GPS that does waypoint navigation: watch or bike mounted?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 06:24 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a Bike GPS that does waypoint navigation, is it better as a watch or bike mounted? recommendations?
Old 07-12-17, 07:21 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have used the Garmin Edge Touring GPS for a couple of years now. It doesn't support the various kinds of physical monitoring that some folks want, but is ideal for me. It mounts reliably on the stem and is bright enough to be seen on a sunny day. It supports up to 200 waypoints, and the screen automatically comes on as you approach one. The battery is good for about 8 hours at a time, so you'd probably want a portable recharging unit if you're touring with it. I keep the recharger in my handlebar bag and run the recharging cord to the GPS. If you're just day-tripping, it should last long enough without the battery.

I always plot my trip on-line, using either Garmin Connect or Ride With GPS -- plotting a trip on the unit itself is a real pain. I got a larger SIM card than came with the unit. Garmin will update the maps for you, but the SIM card included is too small to allow that. The first time I tried, I endured a multi-hour download only to be told that there wasn't enough memory on the card. Now, I have plenty of space for downloads, although Garmin is still unbelievably slow when doing that. The unit will also use OpenStreetMaps in case you are interested in international cycling.

FWIW
Old 07-12-17, 08:19 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Curious as to why waypoint navigation.

In boating that was setting positions, typically buoys, to navigate to in sequence. Not sure why our how that's useful in cycling.

Possibly easier to do multiple routes/courses that you can download, then do a route, end and save, launch a new route, etc...
Old 07-12-17, 09:45 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe my terminology is wrong but waypoints as in I can preload a route (like GPX files) to it, go ride it and it tells me when to turn to complete it.
Old 07-12-17, 10:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
A number of different cycle GPS units will provide navigation, Garmin 520/820/1000 as dedicated cycling units, some of the watches, the 25 (small and no on-screen map), as well as Brunton, Wahoo Elemnt and Bolt, Lezyne units. Prices run from about $150 to $500.

A couple of different turn-by-turn methods. 1) Pick a route created by others on RideWithGPS (and I think Garmin Connect) and download to the device, 2) Create a custom route on the web and in RWGPS or Connect and download to device.

Either of these will put a course onto the device. Some of the devices will then show on-screen directions, turn-by-turn, etc... warnings a 1/10th mile in advance, audible beeps, etc...

The route transfer from the web programs can be as simple as a mobile app on a smartphone that picks up the created route/course, and ports it via BlueTooth to the device. Others might require a USB cable connection to get the route to the device.

Clever gadgets they are.
Old 07-12-17, 12:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
maybe my terminology is wrong but waypoints as in I can preload a route (like GPX files) to it, go ride it and it tells me when to turn to complete it.
I read your GA400 post.

You need an ordinary GPS. Any of the currently available GPS' will do what you want.

Garmin, Polar, Wahoo, Magellan, Bryton, etc.

Some will tell you when to turn with arrow prompts and an audible sound. Others will have a map which will follow the route as you ride - you just have to steer your bike along the red line. Many will do both.

Take the cue sheet like the one given at the GA400 ride, map it out in Ride with GPS or any number of online mapping websites and transfer the route to your GPS. It will do exactly what you need.

-Tim-