Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin - Strava Sync

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 09:39 PM
hitesh_mani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin - Strava Sync

How to Sync Garmin with Strava.

I am getting two activity report on Strava. One from Strava and another one from Garmin.

Hitesh Upreti

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-10-17 at 08:02 AM. Reason: removed email and phone number for internet safety
Old 12-10-17, 07:43 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Are you using the Strava app along with your Garmin on your rides? If so, decide which one you want to sent the data and disable the other. Unless you have a specific reason for using both, there is really no need to run the Strava app in conjunction with your Garmin if all you want to do is send your data to Strava since the Garmin will do that for you.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-10-17, 12:35 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Download Strava and Garmin Connect app to your phone. Sync phone via Bluetooth to the Garmin. Create Garmin Connect account (you won't be using this much, at least I don't). Go on your ride. Don't use the Strava app to record the ride, just your Garmin. Stop your Garmin. Save your ride. Connect your phone via Bluetooth to the Garmin if it isn't already connected from your ride. Ride will automatically upload to your Strava.
Old 12-13-17, 04:01 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
If OP is getting this then he presumably has already synced Garmin and Strava and needs to turn that off or, as others have said, stop using Strava to record data.

I use both with automatic sync, and then delete the Garmin data unless Strava didn't record (which has happened a few times). Basically redundancy, because I want to make sure the ride actually happened.
Old 12-19-17, 10:11 PM
LilyWhites

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of people use strava..is it really the best software for record bike movement?
Old 12-20-17, 04:36 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Strava uses GPS unit on your phone which is not very good (because it needs to save the phone battery). But to keep your stats and as a socializing place Strava is pretty good.
Old 12-20-17, 08:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Strava uses GPS unit on your phone which is not very good (because it needs to save the phone battery). But to keep your stats and as a socializing place Strava is pretty good.
If you are using just a smartphone to record your rides, the app is going to use the phone GPS and thus will run down the battery. Every app does this. It’s a matter of degrees as to which app uses more battery life and it’s as well dependent on the particular phone as well as how good you are at configuring the phone to save battery life.

Or you can use a dedicated GPS cycling computer to track and navigate. Those units typically can save the rides and dump the data up to Strava. RideWithGPS, Garmin Connect, etc... these units cost $150 to $500 but do many things well. Other free apps are Endomomdo, MapMyRide, plus a few more out there.

I use RWGPS as well as Garmin Connect for ride tracking with a Garmin 1000. Works very well.