Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1990) RALEIGH Team 753

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 10:00 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

The article "Big Steel" (Bicycle Guide, July 1990) featured the DIAMOND BACK Master TG and the RALEIGH Team 753.
The Intro and DIAMOND BACK Master TG were posted here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...master-tg.html
The RALEIGH Team 753 is presented below.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 01-25-24, 10:15 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
SpeedofLite,
As usual a great read and another winner!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 01-25-24, 10:36 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Quite timely, as I intend to finish building up the one I was essentially gifted a couple years back sometime this spring. It's my wife's size and painted in a yellow that's not far off from that of my raciest-looking steed (which happens to be my '77 Team Professional). She certainly doesn't know what awaits her, and I hope she loves the ride as much as the looks.
Old 01-25-24, 02:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Ty!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 01-25-24, 06:43 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
A good summary of the characteristics of the TEAM 753, but although the author frequently contrasts it with the "aluminum maintubes Technium", he does not make it clear just which of those earlier aluminum Technium he is contrasting it to. The geometry of those bikes was steepened in 1988.
Also, his assertion that the aluminum Techniums are "unexciting" is just superfluous. Of COURSE aluminum does not have the ride characteristics of steel. We all know that! The trade-off is lighter weight, and we all know that, too!
He points out, though, that Raleigh USA produced four aluminum maintube Techniums in 1990. These had further refinements in the lugs (shot-in seat stays) and vertical dropouts, as well as an upgrade from Alcoa to Easton aluminum tubes.
Old 01-25-24, 06:58 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
As a long time Raleigh fan, I never quite knew what to make of the Technium bikes. The original version with aluminum tubes and steel lugs made a bit of sense... the trend towards aluminum bikes was in progress, and this sort of hybrid approach wasn't bad. Almost like the screwed and glued Fabo Alan or Vitus frames?

However, for Raleigh to flip things and say "we were wrong... try this instead" with steel tubes and aluminum lugs.... it just made me wonder what the point was? Are aluminum lugs really going to make a difference over thin steel lugs? Mostly, it was the difference between brazing a frame together or gluing it together (although you still had to braze the fork and rear triangle).

When we look back, we can see that it was indeed a dead end, or maybe just a marketing ploy?
Or am I just cynical because I have a proper steel T.I./Raleigh 753 bike??

Steve in Peoria
(no, it was just a marketing ploy)
Old 01-25-24, 10:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As a long time Raleigh fan, I never quite knew what to make of the Technium bikes. The original version with aluminum tubes and steel lugs made a bit of sense... the trend towards aluminum bikes was in progress, and this sort of hybrid approach wasn't bad. Almost like the screwed and glued Fabo Alan or Vitus frames?

However, for Raleigh to flip things and say "we were wrong... try this instead" with steel tubes and aluminum lugs.... it just made me wonder what the point was? Are aluminum lugs really going to make a difference over thin steel lugs? Mostly, it was the difference between brazing a frame together or gluing it together (although you still had to braze the fork and rear triangle).

When we look back, we can see that it was indeed a dead end, or maybe just a marketing ploy?
Or am I just cynical because I have a proper steel T.I./Raleigh 753 bike??

Steve in Peoria
(no, it was just a marketing ploy)
I think that there is a labor savings, and much-simpler to assure accurate frame dimensions/alignment with this bonded approach.

The same also applies to other bonded frames of course.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-27-24, 04:54 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Interesting review, thanks again for sharing
Old 01-27-24, 10:21 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Awfully portly for 753, no? 4 pounds 11 ounces (2126 grams) for the frame alone.

Also, this section about the cost of creating these frames. I know the new technique saved them money in labor, but considering how experimental road bikes were beginning to be by the late 80s (as well as most people being interested in mountain bikes at this time) I am very surprised they were so confident to develop all of this tooling.

Old 01-27-24, 11:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I can see why this wouldn't be the lightest half-753 frame, nor the heaviest.

What I remember about this 753 model is that they were able to sell it in 1991 equipped with full Dura-Ace STI, for only $1995, less than any other full D-A STI-equipped bicycle.

It was the same thing back in the early 70's with the Raleigh Pro, some say the cheapest way to buy a full Campagnolo Record build kit in the US at the time was to buy a complete Raleigh Pro and strip it.

Curiously, I found my own 753 Technium Team as a bare frameset appearing to have never been ridden, at a crazy-low price at a bike swap meet about five years later, suggesting that the bike was likely purchased as a Shimano STI parts donor for another build.

All of the above suggests that Raleigh's production numbers were high, such that they could make good deals on parts purchases, and amortize those frame tooling costs.
Likes For dddd: