Old 12-07-13, 01:08 PM
niuoka

Bikes: trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snow and ice :(

guess im an old wuss. We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground here. tried to go for a ride, lost it on ice before going 1000 feet. Walked the bike home, and so it will sit till this rare snow is gone. guess im not that much of a die hard bicycle rider.
But I love the snow and the beauty of it.
guess my biggest fear however is not so much me falling , but of cars sliding into me.
my helmet is off to those of you who ride in the snow and ice
Old 12-07-13, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Broke out the Nokian Studded tires again.. but i'm in the flatlands of Astoria's edges,

and the traffic is thinned out a lot.. by closing time..
Old 12-07-13, 04:06 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The frozen stuff will be gone by Tuesday, so that's not a long lay off.

I understand your concern. My wife and I were quite nearly taken out by a motorist yesterday while we were walking on the sidewalk. He got three tires up onto it. We scampered for the protection of the nearest signal pole and he narrowly missed that before he bounced away. Too many motorists are just clueless and have no business driving under any conditions, but the ice really helps them put on a show.
Old 12-09-13, 03:58 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No snow, just freezing weather here in Vancouver over the weekend. This morning we got a very light dusting of snow, but not enough to impede tire grip. I try to avoid roads with any traffic on the way in to work; fortunately there are a couple of sections of bike path on the way in. Still lots of people riding, even at 7 in the morning. I counted at least a dozen tracks in the dusting of snow, both coming and going.

Even if it snows, usually the first day is not a problem; the stuff is still soft enough to ride thru. It only gets tricky when it gets pressed down by cars & turned to ice, or turned into ice by a thaw/refreeze cycle. A fixed gear helps.

Luis
Old 12-09-13, 08:28 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
No snow, just freezing weather here in Vancouver over the weekend. This morning we got a very light dusting of snow, but not enough to impede tire grip. I try to avoid roads with any traffic on the way in to work; fortunately there are a couple of sections of bike path on the way in. Still lots of people riding, even at 7 in the morning. I counted at least a dozen tracks in the dusting of snow, both coming and going.

Even if it snows, usually the first day is not a problem; the stuff is still soft enough to ride thru. It only gets tricky when it gets pressed down by cars & turned to ice, or turned into ice by a thaw/refreeze cycle. A fixed gear helps.

Luis
Our little snow event has been sticking around longer than usual as we've had low temps below 0F. That has made it nice to ride on, if a bit bumpy. However, tomorrow we are supposed to have a balmy afternoon with highs above freezing. It could get interesting when things refreeze overnight. I expect my EMT friends will have a busy night/morning.