Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes gloves saving my skin (again)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bikes gloves saving my skin (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 08:03 PM
Rimmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Yeah, tough guys like you don't mind when you lose the entire layer of skin off most of your palm because it's a little baby boo boo. Methinks you haven't even ridden enough to really know what a real spill feels like.

Yet despite your toughness, you somehow have 'reduced coordination' because of several mm of fabric between you and the bar?? How uncoordinated are you?

(I do enjoy the trolls at times.)
What does having to ride enough have to do with experiencing what you call a real spill? I just noticed in your thread title you said "again". How many times have you crashed anyway? At least twice is already a given. Me thinks you’re a few peas short of a casserole. I’ve ridden for two and a half years commuting at least five days a week on busy roads and never have I spilled, and I don’t ever intend to. Since I don’t like a loss in dexterity, I’m now by default a so-called mister tough guy.

Originally Posted by Dunbar
The 41 has reached a new level of stupidity.
I'm not even anti-glove in the first place, but you appear to have a reading comprehension problem. So questioning a torn hole, having preference over not wearing gloves, and fearing fractures over scrapes are apparently all stupid. Mind elaborating?

My glove has a hole in it, but I never fell. This reminds me of people taking some product to seemingly clean their colon. Well, when it got time to digest they took a massive snake turd. When they saw that, they were convinced that whatever came out in the toilet was lurking inside them the whole time. It was a scam. Whatever they took just so happen to make the poop look like that. Lol, they were a bunch of gullible idiots and believed all the hype behind it.

Originally Posted by Looigi
I'm guessing you probably hit your head on on asphalt a number of times too...
No, it was concrete.
Old 12-04-12, 08:25 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimmer
Since I don’t like a loss in dexterity, I’m now by default a so-called mister tough guy.
I'll back you up. If you actually lose dexterity to cycling gloves, there is absolutely no way that you ever would be considered a tough guy.
Old 12-04-12, 08:47 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, we have a tough guy who's never ever fallen, giving advice about falls, convinced he's right.

Furthermore, he's convinced that a small hole on his glove is the same as a tear that happened to appear after a good scrape on a spill which went right through the thick faux-leather part. And somehow he thinks it didn't do squat for saving my skin, and that hole really appeared by some other way. Right.

Sounds like we should listen to this winner. Really knows what he's talking about.
Old 12-04-12, 11:51 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks,

Show a little respect, please. What we have here is a shoo-in for one form or another of the Darwin award.
Old 12-05-12, 12:01 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This reminds me of people taking some product to seemingly clean their colon. Well, when it got time to digest they took a massive snake turd. When they saw that, they were convinced that whatever came out in the toilet was lurking inside them the whole time.
After reading this, I no longer have any recollection of what this thread is about, but this here is a colon-full of pure awesome.
Old 12-05-12, 07:01 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It is unbelievable that a thread that extols the virtues of gloves for saving your hands in a fall meets opposition. By all means, don't wear gloves. No one cares. And the experiences of one person who believes that gloves prevented extensive damage need not change your mind. The colon diversion was really strange.
Old 12-05-12, 07:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I’ve ridden for two and a half years commuting at least five days a week on busy roads and never have I spilled, and I don’t ever intend to.
No one intends to fall, yet virtually everyone does eventually. Mechanical failure; Car, pedestrian, or other cyclist, pulls out in front of you; unseen road defect, gravel, debris, ice, etc.; momentary lack of attention. Whatever the cause, if you ride a bike long enough, you're going to crash.

When the inevitable happens, I prefer to be wearing gloves, but they're your hands and you can do as you like.

Besides they help dealing with snot and sweat.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-05-12, 08:20 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've had two accidents in which I'm convinced my gloves reduced the injuries to my hand. Both times my padded gloves were ripped from the bitumen and my hands not. My hands were bruised though which took a few days to recover. I always ride wearing gloves be it road, mountain or commuting as I'm convinced they work for me.
Old 12-05-12, 08:44 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always worn full finger gloves on the trails but this past summer I saw a guy grind off the tip of his finger when crashing in a crit. The tip of his finger was ground down to the first knuckle. Now I wear full fingered gloves when I race on the road. Hoping I never need them ...
Old 12-05-12, 08:50 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
I've always worn full finger gloves on the trails but this past summer I saw a guy grind off the tip of his finger when crashing in a crit. The tip of his finger was ground down to the first knuckle. Now I wear full fingered gloves when I race on the road. Hoping I never need them ...
This is excellent troll food! It will be spun in a few ways to support the troll's claims.
Old 12-05-12, 08:58 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
This is excellent troll food!
I hear Trolls prefer the entire hand, but what do I know?
Old 12-05-12, 09:20 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Rainy up here this past weekend. Rode conservatively on all descents, but then in the final miles back home, I lost my mind in trying to catch a right turn stoplight before it changed, and took a low-speed spill (braked pretty well in the midst of the skid, fortunately).

Managed to have my full-finger glove take the brunt of the skid. My hand was completely unscathed, albeit sore for a day. I also somehow managed to give myself a small patch of thigh road rash without tearing the bib, but that's already healing well.

Without the glove, that would have been a pretty nasty road rash burn on my palm. These gloves were pretty thick, good, newish gloves and the skid put a small rip right through the padding on the landing spot.

I also managed to motivate and bought a small sewing kit and sewed the hole up nice and good with black thread. I'd recommend it if you tear your glove - if you put enough passes into the repair, it seems very strong, and was a good rescue of an otherwise fairly new $70 bike glove that's now back in functioning order.

Thumbs up for gloves for skin protection.
I wear LF gloves every single ride
Old 12-05-12, 10:25 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I hear Trolls prefer the entire hand, but what do I know?
Come on, give the guy a break. He's trying to build credibility. The entire hand ground down is too much at first.
Old 12-05-12, 10:29 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I saw a guy grind off the tip of his finger when crashing in a crit. The tip of his finger was ground down to the first knuckle.
I saw something similar. The rider crashed on his face. His nose was ground off. The rest of his face was spared by the front of his helmet taking the impact. So this is another endorsement for helmets
Old 12-05-12, 10:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When I was riding motorbikes, it was common knowledge that you were inexperienced until you had gone down 6 times. I was experienced. On bicycles, if one doesn't race, riders seem to go down a little less often, probably because we wear much less protective clothing and so are more conservative. I think I've been down only 4 times on a bicycle with no damage other than a little blood. Most of my riding buddies have funny looking collarbones.

Commuting, it's not so much that riders make mistakes, it's that people in cars make mistakes.
Old 12-05-12, 11:15 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When I was riding motorbikes, it was common knowledge that you were inexperienced until you had gone down 6 times. I was experienced. On bicycles, if one doesn't race, riders seem to go down a little less often, probably because we wear much less protective clothing and so are more conservative. I think I've been down only 4 times on a bicycle with no damage other than a little blood. Most of my riding buddies have funny looking collarbones.

Commuting, it's not so much that riders make mistakes, it's that people in cars make mistakes.
I agree to a mild extent, but as a hardcore commuter and having ridden at all hours, including between midnight and 5:00 a.m., believe the final onus lies with us as cyclists. I have seen too many commuters or cyclists assume motorists will do as they are supposed to, only to be wondering what the Hell happened while lying on their back in an ambulance. There is one thing we can do and that is to always, without fail, be aware of our surroundings so people in cars who make mistakes do not kill us. I have shaken my head and held my tongue on so many occasions and thank the almighty that I am still here.

/soapbox
Old 12-05-12, 04:29 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
That is the real reason to wear gloves. Not comfort while riding, but in case of a crash. Same thing with motorcycles.
Yup, and to reach down (carefully), and rest my gloved hand on a tire if I have gone through flecks of glass I could not avoid.
Old 12-05-12, 05:03 PM
somedood

Bikes: Ibex Xray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
When the inevitable happens, I prefer to be wearing gloves, but they're your hands and you can do as you like.

Besides they help dealing with snot and sweat.
One of the biggest reasons I wear gloves is because it helps me have a little bit better grip on the bars and they are fantastic to help me wipe sweat and snot rocket leftovers.

I am considering full fingered gloves for warm weather after a slow speed collision with another cyclist, though. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The half fingered gloves helped on the palm, but not fingertips.