Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gianni Motta Personal 2001 R

Old 11-28-15, 02:04 PM
Penbuy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gianni Motta Personal 2001 R

Hello,
I’m posting to enquire the value of this bike. It is a Gianni Motta Personal 2001R Brevettato, 58 cm. I have not found a good reference for it, but I think it’s a model from around 1990/91. The frame tubing is fluted, but is not identified on the bike. The color is a fluorescent white with tricolor markings. The fork is chrome as are the chain stays and ½ of the seat stays. The bike has a Mavic 631 crank, Mavic 862 front derailleur, Campagnolo C Record rear derailleur, Campagnolo brakes, Dia Compe brake levers, Motta stem, Modolo bars, Mavic seat post, and Mavic Paris GAO Dakar hubs with Mavic GL330 tubular rims.

I enjoy owning this bike because the paint is phosphorescent so when you shut down for the night you get the afterglow of a bike frame from across the garage. However, it is too big for me so I’m thinking of listing it for sale and I want to find a good pricing point. Any opinions on its value?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
M4.jpg (95.3 KB, 369 views)
M6.jpg (64.2 KB, 349 views)
M7.jpg (66.0 KB, 351 views)
M10.jpg (101.2 KB, 348 views)
M11.jpg (99.9 KB, 352 views)
M13.jpg (78.2 KB, 351 views)
M16.jpg (95.6 KB, 346 views)
M22.jpg (73.4 KB, 342 views)
Old 11-28-15, 02:58 PM
exxongraftek

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The mix of components coupled with tubular wheel rims hurts the value when selling this as a whole.
That being said, many of those mixed components have a good deal of value on their own and someone might buy in order to part out.
Your rear derailleur appears to be first-gen C-Record, and the "starfish" crank is valuable as well.

My specialty is earlier-time than this, so I leave it to those better versed in this genre to offer specific dollar amounts.
Best of luck, and thanks for posting pictures without prompting!
Old 11-30-15, 09:36 PM
Penbuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks exxongraftek,
This later model Motta seems to be lost to history. I have not found much information on the internet regarding it and it's fluted tubing. I'm tempted to take it apart and keep the frame as an art piece for the wall as it is visually appealing, in great shape, and glows after the lights go out. For now I think I'll price it against the older models and list it in the forum.
Penbuy

Last edited by Penbuy; 12-01-15 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 11:32 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Hey Penbuy! Did you sell the bike after all? For how much? I got a deal on one of these and wanted to double-check if the pricing was right. Thanks!

NB: I love resurrecting old threads, don't mind if I don't get a prompt reply.
Old 09-29-19, 12:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Mushrooom
Hey Penbuy! Did you sell the bike after all? For how much? I got a deal on one of these and wanted to double-check if the pricing was right. Thanks!

NB: I love resurrecting old threads, don't mind if I don't get a prompt reply.
Penbuy hasn't posted in over a year. Considering the 4 year time span I really don't see what good comparing prices would do, especially if you don't have the exact same model and parts on it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-29-19, 03:12 PM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Penbuy hasn't posted in over a year. Considering the 4 year time span I really don't see what good comparing prices would do, especially if you don't have the exact same model and parts on it.
You must be right! If he hasn't posted in over a year, then I better let go of this.

On the other hand, I'm still curious though. OP came here to inquire about the price of his bike and never got an answer. So now I wonder if he still sold it and for which price. I can judge later how much more or less rare the parts on my bike are and make up my mind about the price of mine later on, but I have the same model dating from around the same year (groupset is Nuovo Record though). It is still valuable information even if it is four years old.

I know people will say "the right price is whatever people will pay for it". But without being able to sell something just for the sake of learning "what will people pay for it", it's just nice to know the approximate value of the stuff you've got. I guess there's nothing wrong with a little curiosity
Old 05-02-20, 12:52 AM
Stellari

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking for late 80's early 90's Gianni Motta

You must be right! If he hasn't posted in over a year, then I better let go of this.

On the other hand, I'm still curious though. OP came here to inquire about the price of his bike and never got an answer. So now I wonder if he still sold it and for which price. I can judge later how much more or less rare the parts on my bike are and make up my mind about the price of mine later on, but I have the same model dating from around the same year (groupset is Nuovo Record though). It is still valuable information even if it is four years old.

I know people will say "the right price is whatever people will pay for it". But without being able to sell something just for the sake of learning "what will people pay for it", it's just nice to know the approximate value of the stuff you've got. I guess there's nothing wrong with a little curiosity
I'm looking for information on any and all multi-shaped tube Gianni Motta framesets or even complete bicycles for sale.
Old 05-02-20, 04:36 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
They show up on Belgian second hand sites with some regularity.
Old 05-02-20, 06:49 AM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Stellari
I'm looking for information on any and all multi-shaped tube Gianni Motta framesets or even complete bicycles for sale.
I have a Gianni Motta frame for sale right now (the paint job is brand new). Will be posting it shortly in the classifieds, but you can PM me for details.
Likes For Mushrooom:
Old 05-02-20, 05:07 PM
Stellari

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
They show up on Belgian second hand sites with some regularity.
What sites would you recommend?
Old 05-02-20, 05:12 PM
Stellari

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Gianni Motta frame for sale right now (the paint job is brand new). Will be posting it shortly in the classifieds, but you can PM me for details.
I'd love pictures if you have them. Do you have one simular to the one penbuy started this thread with?
Old 05-02-20, 05:21 PM
Stellari

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Penbuy - Gianni Motta Personal 2001 R

Originally Posted by Penbuy
Hello,
I’m posting to enquire the value of this bike. It is a Gianni Motta Personal 2001R Brevettato, 58 cm. I have not found a good reference for it, but I think it’s a model from around 1990/91. The frame tubing is fluted, but is not identified on the bike. The color is a fluorescent white with tricolor markings. The fork is chrome as are the chain stays and ½ of the seat stays. The bike has a Mavic 631 crank, Mavic 862 front derailleur, Campagnolo C Record rear derailleur, Campagnolo brakes, Dia Compe brake levers, Motta stem, Modolo bars, Mavic seat post, and Mavic Paris GAO Dakar hubs with Mavic GL330 tubular rims.

I enjoy owning this bike because the paint is phosphorescent so when you shut down for the night you get the afterglow of a bike frame from across the garage. However, it is too big for me so I’m thinking of listing it for sale and I want to find a good pricing point. Any opinions on its value?
Attachment 490647Attachment 490648Attachment 490649Attachment 490650Attachment 490651Attachment 490652Attachment 490653Attachment 490654
Thanks in advance.
Penbuy I joined just to find out about your Gianni Motta pictured. Please let me know if it is still in your possession and if so if you would consider selling or trading.
thank you
Old 05-02-20, 09:11 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
What sites would you recommend?
I would not necessarily recommend them because they're both hellholes, but tweedehands.be and marktplaats.nl spring to mind.
The latter site may be Dutch but Gianni Mottas do show up there, sometimes "disguised" as Colnagos because of the profiled tubing.
Old 05-02-20, 09:40 PM
Mushrooom

I'd love pictures if you have them. Do you have one simular to the one penbuy started this thread with?

Here's the bike in question. You can PM for more details.
Old 05-03-20, 07:03 AM
Penbuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Stellari,

I have sent you a private message regarding the frame in question.

And hello Mushroom, I apologize for not answering you before, I must have missed the notification that there was a new message in the thread, or I didn't get one. I did get a note yesterday that I was quoted and came in to see what was happening. Anyhow, I'm sorry for that and can report that I am a slow mover and have not gotten around to selling it to date.

Penbuy
Old 05-03-20, 11:17 AM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Penbuy
Hello Stellari,

I have sent you a private message regarding the frame in question.

And hello Mushroom, I apologize for not answering you before, I must have missed the notification that there was a new message in the thread, or I didn't get one. I did get a note yesterday that I was quoted and came in to see what was happening. Anyhow, I'm sorry for that and can report that I am a slow mover and have not gotten around to selling it to date.

Penbuy
Hey Penbuy! No worries at all! You know, it's better to have a bike laying around than to sell it and regret it! I was thinking about selling mine, that's the reason I was asking.