Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chorus vs Chorus and Record mixed groupset resale value

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-02-19, 11:45 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing great and that you're enjoying the fall. This is one of my favorite seasons (they all have something), but I love the chilly wind and the sound of the leaves when I'm on my bike.

I'm planning my new build and I'm thinking about putting either a full Campy Chorus groupset or a mixed groupset with Chorus and Record parts (10-speed). This will be for my top of the line all time favorite: the extraordinary Vitus 992. It came with a full Shimano 600 tricolor 7-speed groupset. I think it's a fair upgrade.

Now my question is: which has a better resale value, full Chorus or a mixed Chorus and Record groupset?

To be more specific, the mixed groupset would contain the following:
Brifters: Chorus
FD and RD: Chorus
Brakes: Record
Crankset: Record
BB: Chorus
Cassette: Chorus or Record

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-19, 12:47 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Probably the straight Chorus, though it depends a little on the year perhaps. I prefer the 4 arm Record cranks visually. I don't think it matters all that much, unless you're talking NOS or mint, in which case some might prefer Chorus - to swap onto a different bike.
My opinion worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 11-02-19, 03:51 PM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Probably the straight Chorus, though it depends a little on the year perhaps. I prefer the 4 arm Record cranks visually. I don't think it matters all that much, unless you're talking NOS or mint, in which case some might prefer Chorus - to swap onto a different bike.
My opinion worth exactly what you paid for it.
What is it you have against my Vitus?
Old 11-02-19, 05:19 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Mushrooom
What is it you have against my Vitus?

Moi? Rien de tout. J'en ai un aussi.

I'm sure you know they don't get much love, generally speaking. C'est vrai, non?

I'm trying to swap mine for a smaller frame (61 cm down to 58-55) No bites on sales at $195. For a TDF winnlng frame, I call that not much love... N'est ce pas?

Salut, mon ami. Eric
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 11-02-19, 05:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,778 Times in 1,405 Posts
I'd recommend lotto tickets.

Better investment than bike parts.
Old 11-02-19, 09:29 PM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Moi? Rien de tout. J'en ai un aussi.

I'm sure you know they don't get much love, generally speaking. C'est vrai, non?

I'm trying to swap mine for a smaller frame (61 cm down to 58-55) No bites on sales at $195. For a TDF winnlng frame, I call that not much love... N'est ce pas?

Salut, mon ami. Eric
You're very right my dear. It's a real shame. But I think it is due to them being somewhat rare, rather than people don't liking them. You can't really dislike something you haven't tried, know what I mean?

Originally Posted by iab

​​​​​
Not thinking on reselling, I'll never part with this one. It's my favorite bike after all. I was just wondering if it would be better for me to build it with the full Chorus gruppo or a mix of Chorus and Record parts. I like the idea of saving a couple of grams here and there for something aesthetically almost identical. But I want my bike to stay classy and if keeping all the parts of a groupset is the way to go, then I guess that's what I'll be doing.
Old 11-02-19, 09:58 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by iab

I dunno, I heard carbon fiber bikes keep going up.
Old 11-02-19, 11:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Just wondering here. Can you spread the rear triangle to get a 10-speed wheel into it without risking the integrity of the frame?

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 09:09 AM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Just wondering here. Can you spread the rear triangle to get a 10-speed wheel into it without risking the integrity of the frame?

Cheers
I wouldn't do that with an aluminium frame. Some say it could take it. I prefer not to risk it, personally. I had a nice Shamal set I wanted to put on this bike and had to skip for this exact reason.
Old 11-03-19, 12:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

I wouldn't do that with an aluminium frame. Some say it could take it. I prefer not to risk it, personally. I had a nice Shamal set I wanted to put on this bike and had to skip for this exact reason.
The spreading of an aluminium frame like a Vitus could easily wreck the frame which is why I pointed out that going from 7 to 10 speed would require spreading it.

If the existing 7 speed cassette body is Hyperglide then you can use part of the 7 speed cassette on it.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 02:21 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Record or nothing.
Old 11-03-19, 03:06 PM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Miele Man
The spreading of an aluminium frame like a Vitus could easily wreck the frame which is why I pointed out that going from 7 to 10 speed would require spreading it.

If the existing 7 speed cassette body is Hyperglide then you can use part of the 7 speed cassette on it.

Cheers
The wheels and cassette are already in there and fit perfectly well. Don't know if it is just coincidence. Other wheels I tried (Campagnolo Shamal and Fulcrum Racing 1) didn't fit, but now I have Campagnolo Eurus with a 10 speed Chorus cassette and it sits there just fine. Didn't have to stretch the frame for that.

Originally Posted by miamijim
Record or nothing.
Hehe. So would you prefer having some record parts rather than none? Like the calipers and the crankset as in my case?
Old 11-03-19, 03:44 PM
miamijim

Hehe. So would you prefer having some record parts rather than none? Like the calipers and the crankset as in my case?
No. I prefer bikes with consistent parts throughout. Back in the 80's and 90's groups were groups. Somewhere along the way manufacturers starting substituting individual parts.

But its not my bike, its yours so build it to your liking.
Old 11-03-19, 03:46 PM
miamijim

BTW 7 speed cassette hubs were available in both 126mm and 130mm which explains why the 7s hub fits. While opinions will vary, depending on the year, Chorus and Record may not be an upgrade.
Old 11-03-19, 03:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
I think in this thread it's kinda useless to debate or even banter about Chorus versus Record without-addressing and understanding the basics of your situation. One of them is knowing if the fame can accept or can be set to accept a 130 mm rear wheel. It seems clear the OP wants to ride the bike in addition to worship it. So it needs to be a gearing of a configuration that will be useful. But, double? triple? standard road gearing? Compact? 3x6? 1x12? or what? And what vintage is the frame, and what vintage of Campagnolo do you want?

Have you looked at the Retro Roadies thread? A lot of options have been tried in the past - in general vintage steel performance frames build up with properly-fitting and set up Campy or Shimano indexing systems have really great performance and are a blast to ride. For mine, it's to ride (may be a little worship) rather than to sell, so as far as price I only have to not feel I am being excessive. Even more, fit of the frame and its ability to let you set up your contact points as they need to be, is still absolutely critical.

Modern nearly new Campagnolo is pricy and price is sensitive to "level." Performance of the parts is not always sensitive to level, but it does depend on properly detailed setup. I have a bike with a 1997 Mirage wide-range triple with Ergopower that is a marvelously well-behaved, same for a compact 2x10 built of a mix of Campy components that suit each other for that 2x10.

I wouldn't worry about Chorus v. Record, overly.

One thing that is absolutely worth having on your bike is the Generation 3 Ergopower levers. I like the Gen 1 and Gen 2, but the Gen 3 are a big step forward.
Old 11-03-19, 03:51 PM
Miele Man

The wheels and cassette are already in there and fit perfectly well. Don't know if it is just coincidence. Other wheels I tried (Campagnolo Shamal and Fulcrum Racing 1) didn't fit, but now I have Campagnolo Eurus with a 10 speed Chorus cassette and it sits there just fine. Didn't have to stretch the frame for that.

You're really fortunate that the new wheels fit. Congratulations.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 04:37 PM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think in this thread it's kinda useless to debate or even banter about Chorus versus Record without-addressing and understanding the basics of your situation. One of them is knowing if the fame can accept or can be set to accept a 130 mm rear wheel. It seems clear the OP wants to ride the bike in addition to worship it. So it needs to be a gearing of a configuration that will be useful. But, double? triple? standard road gearing? Compact? 3x6? 1x12? or what? And what vintage is the frame, and what vintage of Campagnolo do you want?

Have you looked at the Retro Roadies thread? A lot of options have been tried in the past - in general vintage steel performance frames build up with properly-fitting and set up Campy or Shimano indexing systems have really great performance and are a blast to ride. For mine, it's to ride (may be a little worship) rather than to sell, so as far as price I only have to not feel I am being excessive. Even more, fit of the frame and its ability to let you set up your contact points as they need to be, is still absolutely critical.

Modern nearly new Campagnolo is pricy and price is sensitive to "level." Performance of the parts is not always sensitive to level, but it does depend on properly detailed setup. I have a bike with a 1997 Mirage wide-range triple with Ergopower that is a marvelously well-behaved, same for a compact 2x10 built of a mix of Campy components that suit each other for that 2x10.

I wouldn't worry about Chorus v. Record, overly.

One thing that is absolutely worth having on your bike is the Generation 3 Ergopower levers. I like the Gen 1 and Gen 2, but the Gen 3 are a big step forward.
Hey there,

You sorted out my feelings about this bike astonishingly well: I'm looking for maximum performance, all while cherishing it profoundly. This is not a bike I'm going to get dirty with.

I already put the right wheels in there to make sure I wouldn't have any unwanted surprises: Campy Eurus with a 10-speed Chorus cassette. Everything fits perfectly and the frame is happy as a clam.

For the moment, everything will be set up with a 2x10 Chorus groupset, 2nd generation I think. Only the RD and brifters will be 3rd generation with some carbon here and there. I would very much like to put a newer crankset in there, but that will have to wait unfortunately.

Here's a picture of the crankset:
Old 11-03-19, 04:56 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
I used a mixed Record / Chorus alloy gruppo on my "last bike I'll buy" DiNucci. Its a fantastic built, smooth running and NOT all black. I had been saving that gruppo for a while.

I think you'll find that having the 110 BCD (compact) cranks in the mix will give you a much better "resale value".

I don't think the Chorus cranks came in an alloy, square taaper 110 BCD, they went to carbon that year. I have a set like that.

however there's no established market, really, it's just about finding a buyer who wants "exactly" what you are selling at that particular time. Eventually, yes, the "alloy" look may command a market premium.

you are probably money ahead by parting out your gruppo piece by piece.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 11-03-19 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-03-19, 07:41 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
So my road bike has 10 speed Chorus. I never considered the bike Vintage whatsoever. It's early 00s Tallerico. Sure it's steel but can a 17 lb bike I'd race Cat 3 on (if I still had those legs) be C&V?

It's a great groupset. Solid performance and low maintenance. I did (gasp) switch the crank to a Carbon 11 speed compact. Too many of my rides have miles of 8+ percent grade.

I wouldn't worry about value or purity of the thing. After all, you can still buy most of the parts new.
Old 11-04-19, 09:20 AM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by rosefarts
So my road bike has 10 speed Chorus. I never considered the bike Vintage whatsoever. It's early 00s Tallerico. Sure it's steel but can a 17 lb bike I'd race Cat 3 on (if I still had those legs) be C&V?

It's a great groupset. Solid performance and low maintenance. I did (gasp) switch the crank to a Carbon 11 speed compact. Too many of my rides have miles of 8+ percent grade.

I wouldn't worry about value or purity of the thing. After all, you can still buy most of the parts new.
You may have a good point there: my bike is definitely more classic than vintage, that's for sure... Specially once I install this new groupset in there. I think it's one of the latest 992 models, maybe that's why the 10-speed cassette could fit. I'm guessing early 1990s, probably 1992. Anyway, thanks for the input!