Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Got a Unitied City Bikes "The One" folding e-bike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 12-20-19, 06:37 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts

So one night I was maybe a bit drunk and feeling generous so I gave $1000 to an IndieGoGo project to make a super light weight folding e-bike. That was around 6 months ago and last week it showed up! which is actually pretty decent turn around for an Indiegogo.. as them doing it at all is not a certainty much less delivering anywhere near a timeline.

I know I should post pics and will if there is interest: but so far I have only ridden it twice and since I had a moment (I rode it today) I thought i'd give my thoughts. realize that this is my first e-bike (but not my first folder) so I may be a novice to many of the intricacies of the breed.

Impressions:
1. The bike is light for an e-bike i know I should weigh it but its under 25lbs.. after hauling it up the BART stairs I can attest to that. body, and perhaps wheels, are magnesium. they are light as a feather. the battery, which is also the seat-post, is where a ton of the weight is-. I like the design, i got an extra post which came with a seat, so you can have it charging and just swap. its easy to do and makes sense but if you are tall like me it makes the bike very top heavy a I have it at its maximum extension.

2. related to above: its too small for me. I am 6'2" so this is no surprise. but its really made for people around 5'6"

3. It has 3 modes. Here is where I say it came with a manual that was all about how you maintain a bicycle and how it folds, but had nothing on the e-bike controls. I know how to fold and maintain a bicycle. I needed more on the ebike part that I don't know. But from what I can tell: Mode 1 is complete manual.. you control how much its helping you with the finger paddle. great. Mode 3 is full auto, it helps you depending upon your pedal speed. Great. Mode 2 is somewhere in-between and I cannot figure out what its useful for.

4. I got it because i could fold and throw in the back of a car- and use it to get places often in hilly SF where any other folding bike would be a huge struggle. For this its proven its utility. I hit some of the most serious SF hills and it was, pulling my 195lb 6'2" frame, a bit of a struggle for it. But with my help it could handle it without me ripping it apart trying to pump it up. That sai, I am not sure it was really meant for that sort of workout.. without me also pedaling i'd be afraid to burn its motor. So the end product of that is that its not actually much easier to ride up a serious grade with this bike than my normal rides.. but that is actually a point in its favor. It means this tiny little folding bike can get me up a hill as well as any of my other bikes, and I still got to work at it. good.

5. its slow. I am not a fast rider, but no surprise from a tiny folder its way slower than my road bike. the e-assist is just that, it helps a bit but you are by no means gonna beat anyone who is actually trying on a real bike. In city riding I found this very difficult as I could not accelerate as I am used to, nor get up to any speed above around 28km/h. but.. once i let go of that go fast.. its actually a relaxing and pleasant ride. Just do not expect to be able to beat any signals... just accept the yellow will turn to red long before you get there and stop.

I actually like it quite a lot - It is by no means a replacement for my conventional bikes but it was not meant to be and so far, it seems like a decent design and works quite well, even if its nothing so revolutionary. Just a decent folding e-bike.
-j
Old 12-20-19, 11:04 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Many ebikes, especially folders, are intended to be ridden with help from the rider. There's not a lot of room for batteries on a folder, and while the seat post is pretty elegant, it makes for an even smaller battery. Well, you know what to do, shift to the biggest rear gear and climb that hill.You'll stil get 100-200 watts in t he motor helping.
Old 12-23-19, 10:32 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You're asking a lot for that bike to get you up hills without much effort. Around here (Bay Area) only mid-drives are going to be able to do that, and even then they need pretty substantial batteries since they'll run down quickly. I've found different e-bikes engage the motor from take off at different points; sounds like this is one of the slower ones. But once you get to used to the quirks, you'll find a sweet spot and ride it well for what it is. Your trade off is the weight being so low compared to the power of the bike. You get to sling it up and down Bart stairs easily in exchange for some oomph. Sure, a pumped Yuba Mundo will power you up all those hills no problem, but you aren't carrying it up Bart stairs, you will be lucky to fit it in the elevator (if the are even working, lol). Enjoy it for what it does and is - it's a different kind of ride than your existing bikes, a different experience, both good. Pics would be cool!
Old 12-28-19, 09:28 PM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by linberl
Pics would be cool!
here is the little guy: sorry its not a beauty shot.. just it sitting in storage. but you can see the extra battery/seat post sitting behind it.. you can just swap them in.

Old 12-28-19, 09:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's got a cool industrial kind of vibe. Are those 16" wheels?
Old 12-29-19, 11:37 AM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by linberl
It's got a cool industrial kind of vibe. Are those 16" wheels?
yeah 16" wheels~