Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New Dynamo Light Announced - B&M IQ-X, 100 lux, Aluminum Casing, Redesigned Reflector

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

New Dynamo Light Announced - B&M IQ-X, 100 lux, Aluminum Casing, Redesigned Reflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 10:53 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

It was being discussed over in this thread, but I thought people who didn't read halfway through the thread might be interested:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electronic...ector-not.html

Cost: €139.90 in Germany, google says that's $156.91 in US dollars with today's conversion rate (though who knows what it will end up being priced here as for sure).

Official page (in German):
Busch & Müller: LUMOTEC IQ-X

Link to the B&M 2015/2016 catalogue which lists it (in English):
https://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_up...6__English.pdf

Info from the Euro Bike Show (in english):
IQ-X | Exhibitor release | EUROBIKE Show

A thread from the UK that includes beamshots from the lights:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92607.0

Thanks to hartsu for posting the original link to the 2015/2016 catalogue.

IQ-X

For comparison, here is the "old" 60 Lux IQ Cyo:

The "new" 80 lux IQ Cyo Premium:

Haven't seen any mention of the led or color temperature used for the light. Being more expensive it could improve, though B&M has a track record of using cheaper led's. I've really started to appreciate the nicer quality light put out by Light and Motion and Philips lights.

In the above pics the cyo premium almost looks like it has a better beam pattern, but I'm reserving judgement until I actually see one in person as pics can be deceiving. For example those pics don't show the line-artifacts I see in my Schmidt Edelux II in real life.
Old 09-03-15, 12:53 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
There is no mention of running a tail light.
Old 09-03-15, 09:58 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by znomit
There is no mention of running a tail light.
With the huge number of tail lights b&m makes, and that every light they've made before supports a tail light, it's hard for me to believe they would suddenly not support it on this light.

The main pic of the light on the official page (the pic with the light facing us) shows 2 wires running down from the light head and through the mount -
Busch & Müller: LUMOTEC IQ-X

I would guess one of those is the main power, the other is the tail light connection...
Old 09-03-15, 07:37 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was blown away last week when riding with a guy with what I assume was a Cyo Premium - I run a pair of old B&M IQ Fly lights and his single light was better than my pair.
Glad to see the next generation will blow that one out of the rider.

Can't wait till see how long the back orders will run with Peter White once these are really out. I suspect no one in Boston will have one until fall 2016. Might just give me enough time to buy myself a dynohub for my road bike.
Old 09-04-15, 12:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
looks like they finally got their hands on a Supernova or Edelux and realized that their packaging suffered in the comparison. This might be my next light, not sure.
Old 09-04-15, 03:12 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
With the huge number of tail lights b&m makes, and that every light they've made before supports a tail light, it's hard for me to believe they would suddenly not support it on this light.
I see none of their other lights mention tail lights so you're probably right. Next winter will be bright!
Old 09-04-15, 09:50 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by znomit
I see none of their other lights mention tail lights so you're probably right. Next winter will be bright!
No problem, happy to have anyone bring up things they noticed.
Old 09-04-15, 09:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by randomgear
Can't wait till see how long the back orders will run with Peter White once these are really out. I suspect no one in Boston will have one until fall 2016. Might just give me enough time to buy myself a dynohub for my road bike.
I' go out on a limb and guess he'll get a dozen in the end of November, and his next shipment will arrive in April. Meanwhile, other people will order them direct from Europe and have them mounted by mid-October. (Maybe even me!?)
Old 09-04-15, 10:41 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
As people know, I have not been impressed by my dyno-light, or the one before it. However, I may order one of these when they become available.
Old 09-04-15, 01:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Wow. That's a heck of a light. People who say you need battery power to get sufficient light can shut up now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-04-15, 01:13 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by noglider
Wow. That's a heck of a light. People who say you need battery power to get sufficient light can shut up now.
While I would love to agree, that's...not entirely true. That's what the light looks like with no other ambient light. They're taking the pic in a tunnel, with no other ambient light. That's pretty much ideal for making the light appeal bright, not to mention that what the camera sees is not necessarily what the eyes see.

When the pic looks like that while next to one of those sodium yellow light street lamps, then things will be different...
Old 09-05-15, 01:39 AM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
next to one of those sodium yellow light street lamps...
To be fair, yellow sodium streetlights might be even older than halogen bulbs for bikes!
Isn't most of the work rapidly changing to LED streetlights, even if the electric company is doing the changing and then leasing the lights back to the city? The LED streetlights save enough money for the electric companies that it makes worthwhile.
Anyways, the battery units will always have the edge in pure lumen/luxpower. But with this light, generator lights are closing the gap.

If this really puts out 100 lux, shouldn't it be the IQ C? C being the Roman numeral for 100, or would that begin to make too much sense for their catalog?
Old 09-05-15, 08:13 AM
PaulRivers

To be fair, yellow sodium streetlights might be even older than halogen bulbs for bikes!
Lol, that's probably true. Can they believe they once went to all the trouble and expense to light streets with candles??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States
The colonial-era streetlights were lit by candles placed inside a glass vessel, which kept the candle from being blown out by wind. Franklin's design was four-sided, with four separate panes of glass, so that if one pane of glass was broken, the lamp did not need to be entirely replaced, and might not even blow out.

Isn't most of the work rapidly changing to LED streetlights, even if the electric company is doing the changing and then leasing the lights back to the city? The LED streetlights save enough money for the electric companies that it makes worthwhile.
It depends where you live. I have also seen articles complaining about the blu-hued light given off by led lights for streetlights, cities might be waiting to see if improved LED's come out that are clearly better before investing all the money in switching.

Anyways, the battery units will always have the edge in pure lumen/luxpower. But with this light, generator lights are closing the gap.
They're getting better...we'll see how close they can get. There is a threshold where you don't need any more light. On the other hand who knows if dynamo lights will get there - there's also a threshold on how much light it can produce eventually.

If this really puts out 100 lux, shouldn't it be the IQ C? C being the Roman numeral for 100, or would that begin to make too much sense for their catalog?
Lol, this is from the people who thought having two totally different lights with one named Cyo and the other named Cyo Premium would be a good idea...I think that's rather over sophisticated for them... :-)
Old 09-05-15, 03:04 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You should still expect long treatises about the alleged superiority of battery powered stadium lights.
Old 09-05-15, 03:26 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
While I would love to agree, that's...not entirely true. That's what the light looks like with no other ambient light. They're taking the pic in a tunnel, with no other ambient light. That's pretty much ideal for making the light appeal bright, not to mention that what the camera sees is not necessarily what the eyes see.

When the pic looks like that while next to one of those sodium yellow light street lamps, then things will be different...
I don't want to seem argumentative, but whenever street lights are bright enough to wash out a halfway decent light, its bright enough see the road clearly anyway.

My concern is how it will stand up to oncoming headlights in the wet.
Really bright battery flashlights provide reasonable near field illumination but not so much for distance because of excess glare. Shaped beam dyno lights are weak up close because of the glare of oncoming lights, but still reasonable further out.
Old 09-05-15, 09:54 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by kickstart
I don't want to seem argumentative, but whenever street lights are bright enough to wash out a halfway decent light, its bright enough see the road clearly anyway.
Lol I assure you that's not true...

Bright street lighting that covers 95-100% of the road - that's great. You only need a light to stand out as a bike.

Bright street lighting that covers 25%-50% of the road? Completely awful, and the hardest conditions to cover with a bike light. Mixing super bright streetlights with completely dark gaps is the worst.

Originally Posted by kickstart
My concern is how it will stand up to oncoming headlights in the wet.
Really bright battery flashlights provide reasonable near field illumination but not so much for distance because of excess glare. Shaped beam dyno lights are weak up close because of the glare of oncoming lights, but still reasonable further out.
I saw Supernova just came out with a 900 lumen shaped beam light with a 1500 (I think) high beam mode with no cutoff. Unfortunately...e-bike only. :-/

Don't know how well the iq-x will do, but 80 lux to 100 lux I don't think will be a huge increase.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 04-10-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 11:45 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lol I assure you that's not true...

Bright street lighting that covers 95-100% of the road - that's great. You only need a light to stand out as a bike.

Bright street lighting that covers 25%-50% of the road? Completely awful, and the hardest conditions to cover with a bike light. Mixing super bright streetlights with completely dark gaps is the worst.

I saw Supernova just came out with a 900 lumen shaped beam light with a 1500 (I think) high beam mode with no cutoff. Unfortunately...e-bike only. :-/

Don't know how well the iq-x will do, but 80 lumens to 100 lumens I don't think will be a huge increase.
I don't know what to say about the street light issue, all I know is in areas where streetlights washout my headlight I can see, and it still illuminates the dark patches.

My luxos U is 70-90 lux, the difference is noticeable and useful but not huge, therefore I expect the additional 10 lux to be fairly modest improvement.......but a full time improvement. I'm more concerned with throw, so the real question for me is will those extra lux be used to increase throw, near field, margins, or all three.
Old 09-06-15, 12:15 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My rando bike, which I use for commuting, has an Edilux I, which I would describe as just adaquate for the (disfunctional density) LA streets, but turning sharply into darkness was a bit scary, even fork mounted.
My Baccetta recumbent has an Edilux II mounted to the frame, and it's wide pattern actually makes up for the poor close up visibility of the bike and lack of turning headlight. But it is not enough better to replace the Edilux I on my rando.

The 300 lux Nightrider on my MTB is a big step down in useable light, and limits my speed.

The features of this light are very attractive. The beam pattern looks amazing, even if the color is a little spotty. I never found color important on grey and brown surfaces. The side and rear visible lights are a definite safety addition. As for brightness, I much prefer the broad pattern to intensity; it preserves some night vision and is very visible to other road users without being blinding. Daytime flashing I could take or leave.
Old 09-06-15, 03:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Why are the model names B&M uses so unmemorable? I can't keep them straight in my head. Great products, terrible names.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-15, 03:37 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Why are the model names B&M uses so unmemorable? I can't keep them straight in my head. Great products, terrible names.
Germans seem to like taking the long way around the barn. Some words in the German language are almost sentences, probably makes sense to them.
Old 09-07-15, 04:03 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=noglider;18142964]Why are the model names B&M uses so unmemorable? I can't keep them straight in my head. Great products, terrible names.[/QUOTE

You're right, ha! I have a Lumotec IQ Cyo RN and I have to look that up every time I need to remember what model I bought.

My light serves me well with my urban commutes and I have always thought it threw plenty of light for the dark MUPs. This new light appears to put out significantly more light that the one I have. Not sure that I need it, but I want it nevertheless.
Old 09-07-15, 04:22 PM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm interested but not sold until I see it in person. I do not trust photos.

I have yet to see a dynamo light that comes close to my battery powered light.

I have no issues descending at 30 mph with my current setup. A dynamo setup? I have not seen one yet good enough for that speed. Of course changing and charging batteries can be a nuisance.
Old 09-07-15, 04:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have never outrun my Luxos U. dyno light on a descent. I'm glad I had the version that has a switch that temporarily makes it brighter, I've had a lot of people think I had my brights on. I had people following me on descents on PBP, and that was with my Supernova, which is no comparison to the Luxos. I haven't run my cygolite on the same bike as the Luxos, be interesting to see the comparison.
Old 09-07-15, 06:31 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I haven't run my cygolite on the same bike as the Luxos, be interesting to see the comparison.
I've done a comparison between my cygolite and luxos u, switching between the 2 while riding.
The cygolight is much brighter up to about 25', but is deceptive as the luxos casts usable light significantly further and wider. when riding on the local MUT, I need to run the cygolite on its lowest setting to not blind other users, whereas its not an issue with the luxos, and I can see better with it.
Old 09-07-15, 09:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

which Cygolite do you have? I have the 850, which does a reasonable job of cutting off the light vertically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.