Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable friction at shifter jointing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-29-19, 03:55 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

Hello,

Grateful for any support: does anybody know what is the issue here?

I mounted a new medium cage rear derailleur SRAM 22 WiFLi. I received it from SRAM as a replacement for another new one that was defective (large plays and inconsistent movements). New cable, housings and ferrules - all from SRAM.

When I mount the handlebar tape, it presses and curves the cable housing, moving it around 3-4 mm down, until it touches the handlebar. That small pressing adds some cable friction that I can feel when I move the cable by hand. There is no material friction all the way down the system, until the housing is mounted at shifter level and pressed with the handlebar tape, as described above.

As a result, I have some rubbing between chain and cogs, but only at one way shifting (I can adjust either to have clean shifting from largest to smallest but some friction from smallest to largest, or clean shifting from smallest to largest but some friction from largest to smallest).
Old 12-01-19, 01:25 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
to the extent I can understand from your "problem statement" there's some kind of misalignment of the housing where it enters the "brifter" housing.

I cannot think of any fix that does not have you un-taping the bars.

best practice is to get the shifting working well - and the housings well seated - before final taping.

I think you are going to have to un tape the bars and investigate what is moving when the tape applies pressure.

Make sure your cable ends are properly trimmed and you've got the cable routing as good as you can get it.

Did you have this problem with the old derailleur ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 12-01-19, 04:49 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by mpetry912
best practice is to get the shifting working well - and the housings well seated - before final taping.
I think you are going to have to un tape the bars and investigate what is moving when the tape applies pressure.
Did you have this problem with the old derailleur ?
Thanks for the answer.
With the bars untapped, it works ok. But when I press the housing by finger until it touches the bar, in the way that it is pressed by the bar tap, then the friction appears.
The initial derailleur was short cage and it worked ok for a few years. I switched to a new medium cage to accommodate 11-32 cassette, but both new derailleur and cassette were defective and were replaced under warranty. This new replacement derailleur under warranty seems to work ok, but I don't understand how the friction appears at housing connection with the shifter.
I cut the cable and housing with the special clamp for that.
I start to wonder whether it could be a larger manufacturing issue for a serial of bike parts - now with the cable. Overall, I had no issue in the past with any SRAM component, but now I can't nail the system anymore...

Last edited by Redbullet; 12-01-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 04:54 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
again, based on what you've shared, I doubt this is a derailleur problem. There is something weird about either the housing or how it's routed.

I think you need to un tape the bars. Look at how the cable enters the brifter body. Is this where the tape pressure affects shifting ?

maybe you need a shim under the housing, right at that point.

Pics or more info would help. I'd suggest re-doing the housing using Yokozuna or Shimano housing ? maybe a pic would help.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 12-01-19, 05:03 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I think you need to un tape the bars. Look at how the cable enters the brifter body. Is this where the tape pressure affects shifting ?
maybe you need a shim under the housing, right at that point.
There is a spacer below the housing, that smooths the way of the cable toward the bars. The whole system looks ok at the shifter level. It is like there is no enough tolerance inside the housing, for the cable. I recently noted that the black cover of the cable (some sort of ptfe?) was grated at the joint area.