Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Damaged my brand new TCR

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Damaged my brand new TCR

Old 12-01-19, 02:25 PM
theraPi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damaged my brand new TCR

Hi everybody,

First of all I'd like to say hello to the forum members. I probably would not registered now, if it weren't for my trouble.

I bought a Giant TCR Advanced nine days ago and right on the 2nd ride I dropped the chain. It did not ring any alarm bells for me, since I did not pedal or force it (or so I thought).
Couple of days later, while inspecting the FD (it needs adjusting), I accidentally saw the damage hiding behind the chainring.

I own steel and alluminum road bikes, but this is my first carbon frame.
I'd like some of your opinions from experience. I assume it is not catastrophic, but should it be taken care of by a professional, or could I, maybe mask it and keep riding. (and buy a damn chain catcher). It is a very nice frame, but fortunatelly it did not cost a fortune.
Apparently, posting images is not allowed for new members, so If there is any other possibility, I'd be happy to share them.

Cheers!
Old 12-01-19, 02:30 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Are you sure it was caused by the chain drop? That seems unlikely to cause damage.
Old 12-01-19, 02:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 12-01-19, 02:49 PM
theraPi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

The damage was not there when I got the bike, and since the winter arriving, and some cold I caught in the meantime, I did only 2 rides.
The dropped chain on the 2nd ride was the only memorable issue I had.

I'll try to post a photo URL without the prefix. You need to copy-paste it into your browser: imgur.com/m8aBUBE
Old 12-01-19, 02:54 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Looks like the leading edge of the damage is on the lower edge of the chain stay....dropped chain, then sucked up into the chain stay on the next half turn?

Unless the chainrings were/are bent, what, besides the chain, would make that radiused mark?
Old 12-01-19, 03:01 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Ouch. My first impression is it's probably fine, but I would have it checked out. That area tends to be built up pretty stout.
Old 12-01-19, 03:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
You are correct to be concerned. A friend destroyed a frame through multiple chain drops. Yes, he should have figured it out sooner Get a chain catcher and ask the shop if you should cover the damage to protect against future deterioration.
Old 12-01-19, 03:15 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Most of the damage is just paint. There's a tiny spot at the bottom corner of the chain stay that may be a bit deeper, but I would not worry about it. I did something similar to my Colnago.
Old 12-01-19, 03:25 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
recourse/

have you asked Giant about crash discount towards a replacement frame? or if you are the org. owner ask about a warranty claim.seems you were not to blame for a dropped chain from a drivetrain out of adjustment.
Old 12-01-19, 04:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Did you buy it from a shop? If so, I'd talk to them, 'specially about the mal-adjusted FD.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-01-19, 06:46 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
As someone who works with carbon fiber for a living, I'd clean up the divot-looking area to the bottom of the stay and then paint over it so that I forget it's there. In my experience, most carbon fiber things are fairly overbuilt. The chain drop mostly just abraded the stay which is far better than damage caused by impact.

YMMV.
Likes For Shinkers:
Old 12-01-19, 08:27 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Get a chain catcher. When I purchased my Defy the shop threw in a nice k-edge catcher at no charge when I asked for them. I was going to have one installed on my Domane but much to my surprise it came with one already installed.
Old 12-01-19, 08:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you want to get it fixed.. I sent mine to Calfee

Old 12-02-19, 12:01 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
My k-edge chain catcher didn't prevent a drop. All it did was make putting the chain back on the ring impossible without a tool.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 12-02-19, 10:03 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Seems mostly cosmetic / paint damage to me. Except for that little deeper chipped area.

You could have it professionally inspected to be sure, but I imagine it is fine. They build some engineering tolerances into these frames.

Get a chain catcher.
Old 12-02-19, 11:32 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Definitely get a carbon guru to look it over. The last thing you need is a catastrophic frame failure going 37 mph.
Old 12-02-19, 11:37 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bummer, but.... put some nail polish on it.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-03-19, 04:26 AM
theraPi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all for replying...

I already contacted 2 carbon repair places in my area (Germany) and asked for their rough opinion and a quote, based on the pictures.
Both agree that it is "probably" fine and could be treated by just sealing and painting the damage, but of course cannot give a definitve opinion based on the photographs alone.

Costs would be up to 250€ in case the carbon fiber itself needs repair.

Likes For theraPi:
Old 12-03-19, 05:45 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Your bike is fine.

A "repair" for something like that is a joke. You can't repair carbon fiber without layering on new cloth, which isn't going to happen on such minor damage.

What you're going to get instead is a glorified bondo job. PASS.
Old 12-03-19, 05:46 AM
colombo357

Originally Posted by GlennR
If you want to get it fixed.. I sent mine to Calfee

Nice paint job, but what did they actually do besides sand and epoxy fill?
Old 12-03-19, 09:28 AM
theraPi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colombo357
Your bike is fine.

A "repair" for something like that is a joke. You can't repair carbon fiber without layering on new cloth, which isn't going to happen on such minor damage.

What you're going to get instead is a glorified bondo job. PASS.
What would you suggest for sealing the mark myself? It is in a well hidden area, but is also exposed to the elements. I considered removing any loose paint left, and applying some clear coating so I can keep an eye on it. After it dries maybe wrap some protective material in case I decide to drop a chain again.
Old 12-03-19, 09:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
If this was a brand new bike why is it dropping chains on the 2nd ride and needing adjustments? You said brand new.

It should have been ride-able from the shop. Or, was this an internet sale and self-build?

If this was bought from a shop, I'd be extremely pissed and trying to hold my composure while working out something with the shop. A properly ready to ride bike doesn't drop chains into the frame.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-03-19, 12:59 PM
theraPi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If this was a brand new bike why is it dropping chains on the 2nd ride and needing adjustments? You said brand new.

It should have been ride-able from the shop. Or, was this an internet sale and self-build?

If this was bought from a shop, I'd be extremely pissed and trying to hold my composure while working out something with the shop. A properly ready to ride bike doesn't drop chains into the frame.
I built my older bikes myself, but this was an online season sale with delivery.
I consider myself skilled enough in setting up the drivetrains on bikes, and have experience. It was not set up properly by the shop since the chain rubbed on the FD inner plate when in small chainring and biggest sprocket in the back. That was first time for me to set up the FD r7000, but it is not much different than the earlier designs, regarding the limiting screws. I first lowered the cable tension, but eventually needed to adjust the low limit screw. I still left the chain touching the inner FD plate ever so slightly, with the exact intention of preventing the chain from slipping.

There were some other minor issues I also addressed, like a too long cable outer on the RD, which caused a pretty awkward and sharp bend in it. And also the front tubeless tire was seated horribly :S

But since it was a real bargain, and I like doing those little details myself I did not complain about the shop setup. And if so, I would have needed to send it in and wait, which I hate. And there was nothing actually wrong with the bike.

But apparently I'm a worse of a rider than a mechanic...

Last edited by theraPi; 12-03-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 08:16 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Well, my Supersixes both came with one of these little metallic things stuck on the frame in that spot. I've never sucked the chain into there (knock on wood) but I imagine you could find something similar (if not this exact item) and stick it there to both hide the damage and protect the area...

Here's a random online picture where you can see it through the chain rings:

I might suggest painting a bit of black nail polish over all the paint irregularities and then (after a day to dry) swabbing with an alcohol pad before placing the protector...

https://www.performancebike.com/cann...-kp194/p765359
Old 12-04-19, 06:08 AM
colombo357

Originally Posted by theraPi
What would you suggest for sealing the mark myself? It is in a well hidden area, but is also exposed to the elements. I considered removing any loose paint left, and applying some clear coating so I can keep an eye on it. After it dries maybe wrap some protective material in case I decide to drop a chain again.
Carbon fiber, like titanium, is inert.

It does not care about the elements.

Metal directly in contact with carbon is a different story, where the metal (not the carbon) is susceptible to galvanic corrosion due to the conductivity of carbon, but that's not the case here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.