Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Go slower, get faster? Need suggestions for my training plan.

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 03-13-11, 08:26 PM
terence0708

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I have been riding for around two summers only and I would love to do join some sport XC races in the coming summer.

I am a slightly fat small rider: 165cm(5”5), 60kg(132lbs) and 23 years old. In the last two summers I did 50 miles XC or 25 miles AM ride once a week, but haven’t touch my bike much in the winter.

The distance between my working place and home is 10.5 miles, 95% flat road(no hill in between). It takes me 56 minutes if I maintain my heart rate in Zone 2 (65-75% of MHR) and 46mins if I go as fast as I can(after a day of work). And I believe cycle to work can be a good way to train, but how can I use this 21miles(return) efficiently?

I have read some basic heart rate training glides (like this: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/tra...r-basics-28838), knowing that few hours in zone2 is a very efficient way to train. My questions are, will two set of one hour training work the same way or should I increase to zone3/4 due to the less training time?

In short I have to do two 10.5 miles ride, 4 to 5 days every week. How should I do it to get the most result? Can you please suggest a plan to me?

And finally English is not my first language, please forgive me if there are some funny grammatical mistakes.

Thank you very much, any ideas will be most appreciated.
Old 03-13-11, 09:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 153 Posts
I recommend riding to work in zone 2. On the way home, on Wednesday and Thursday, don't ride steadily, but rather do intervals that simulate the accelerations and surges of the XC races. There are many types of intervals and pedaling drills. A mix of them is best, in my opinion. The other days ride home in zone 2.
Old 03-14-11, 04:24 AM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a modern training book like The Time Crunched Cyclist and adopt its suggestions. Several days a week of intervals should be the core of what you do.