Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 09:35 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Just thought I'd let y'all know my new Canyon arrived yesterday. Only took 2 days to ship and 4 more to get here. The wait was made more aggravating than it should have been because the tracking number they gave me was incorrect so of course, Fedex couldn't find it. I'll complete assembly this morning and post pictures later. So far, the bike is everything I'd hoped for and then some.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-18-20, 02:13 PM
Rorysmith

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
The more I see of them in use by "regular" riders in the neighborhood, the more intrigued I've become. A lot of people site a number of reasons for liking them, "more stopping power", "better modulation", better performance in the wet", etc. While that certainly piques my interest, I've got to ask, "Is the different in braking performance worth the cost of n+1?" As far as braking "power", I can lock up both wheels easily with my existing rim brakes and since I'm a fair weather pavement rider almost exclusively, performance in adverse conditions isn't much of a concern.

Mind you, it's been a looong time since I've bought a bike and the idea does excite me. So go ahead... Convince me
Advantage of disc brake is The littler wheels permit more extensive tires and marginally lower designing for more unpleasant path.

The wrecked talked advantage is genuine, particularly while visiting. Pleasant not detaching a brake to continue riding. plates give better mud freedom. Circles make wheel changes snappier too, no stress over discharging the link to clear wide tires.

I genuinely don't comprehend the remarks about disc brakes being high upkeep.
Old 07-18-20, 03:35 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Just thought I'd let y'all know my new Canyon arrived yesterday. Only took 2 days to ship and 4 more to get here. The wait was made more aggravating than it should have been because the tracking number they gave me was incorrect so of course, Fedex couldn't find it. I'll complete assembly this morning and post pictures later. So far, the bike is everything I'd hoped for and then some.
Congratulations. Nothing beats the excitement of a new bike!
Old 07-18-20, 03:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Yes, but at least you still have the shift paddles mode so you can shift when you want, if you want. Driving my minivan by shifting like that kinda sucks
During a family trip to the Rockies in our minivan, we definitely made good use of the shift lever and overdrive button. Worked just fine. My family recently rented a Mercedes multi passenger van in Scotland, and its transmission was outstanding. It even detected when we were descending, and downshifted the way you'd do in a stick shift car.
Old 07-18-20, 03:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Rorysmith
I genuinely don't comprehend the remarks about disc brakes being high upkeep.
Present company excepted, a lot of enthusiasts enjoy overhauling their bikes for the fun of it. My mechanical discs have been zero maintenance under conditions that would not be atypical for a "regular" or "casual" rider. It's worth remembering that a brake set lasting "just" a few thousand miles is probably a lifetime for a lot of riders.

Of the bikes in the family fleet, the ones requiring the most adjustment are vee-brakes.
Old 07-18-20, 03:59 PM
bmcer

As promised, a picture of the new bike. So far, I've only taken her out for a check-out ride to make sure everything was in order and functioning as expected. Didn't cover more than a 7 miles, but it was enough to assure me I'd done a good assembly job. Even in that short distance, the bike's more compliant ride and stable handling were quite apparent. Like going from an IMSA GTD car to a Mercedes C-class.

In regards the disc brakes, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed. They are effective. Very. Somewhat more so than the rim brakes on my BMC, but no chance I'd stand myself on my nose accidentally. I haven't tried bleeding them yet, and I understand there's something of a "break-in" for new discs and pads.

That said, I am beyond thrilled with the Canyon as a whole.

Last edited by bmcer; 07-18-20 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Add coment
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-18-20, 04:12 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Very Nice.
Yes, you have to bed the brakes in for optimal stopping power.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-18-20, 05:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yup - the braking will get better after bedding-in, particularly with metallic pads, which don't seem to be much better than rim brakes before bed-in, IME. I think this is a good thing, though - keeps new users from jumping in the deep end, so to speak.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-18-20, 05:34 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

As promised, a picture of the new bike. So far, I've only taken her out for a check-out ride to make sure everything was in order and functioning as expected. Didn't cover more than a 7 miles, but it was enough to assure me I'd done a good assembly job. Even in that short distance, the bike's more compliant ride and stable handling were quite apparent. Like going from an IMSA GTD car to a Mercedes C-class.

In regards the disc brakes, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed. They are effective. Very. Somewhat more so than the rim brakes on my BMC, but no chance I'd stand myself on my nose accidentally. I haven't tried bleeding them yet, and I understand there's something of a "break-in" for new discs and pads.

That said, I am beyond thrilled with the Canyon as a whole.
As mentioned, the pads and rotor need some time before they will work in perfect harmony. Basically, just do some repeated high speed stops and that will help getting things bedded. Also, you might have a reach and bit point adjustment on the lever that could be used to adjust the feel. But from the sounds of it, they sound like they are set up correctly. You don't want to lock up the brakes at the lightest touch. But believe me, if you need it, and pull those levers hard, the stopping power will be there.
Old 07-18-20, 05:38 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
As someone who has disc brakes on all the bikes that I currently ride, I can say that you don't need them for fair weather pavement riding.
I would agree. But it is getting really hard to find good pre-built rim brake wheels. You are almost forced into thru axles and disc brakes.
Old 07-18-20, 06:04 PM
bmcer

Thanks for validating what I'd heard about them needing some run-in. You're probably right about that actually being a safety feature for disc noobies like myself I am pleased with the set up done on the bike by the folks at Canyon. Let's just say I'm a competent wrench, so I check the details, and aside from the front derailleur being off by this >< much, I found no need to open the tool chest. As much fun as this Canyon is to ride, I don't think it'll take long to get the brake bedded.
Old 07-18-20, 07:05 PM
vespasianus

This is my new disc brake bike. Campagnolo H11 system. These discs work very well. Easy to modulate and great power when needed. Running 160 F/R.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-18-20, 08:23 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I went from Calipers brakes to Cable disc brakes. Coming from a Motorcycle/Scooter/Moped background. I wonder why the bicycle industry has to build everything on their own. I'm not sure why they don't do drum brakes? They work pretty well. Zero motorcycles came from a bicycle company then went to motorcycle components. I like disk brakes, my cable brakes froze up last winter. This winter I want hydralic brakes, but not sure why bicycles don;t use brake fluid.
Old 07-18-20, 08:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I like disk brakes, my cable brakes froze up last winter. This winter I want hydralic brakes, but not sure why bicycles don;t use brake fluid.
SRAM uses some type of DOT fluid. I've heard some hardy winter riders say that their Shimano hydros froze in the winter, but we're talking stupid temps (well below 0°F). I've had no issues with Shimano hydro down to ~10°F or so, which is generally as cold as I'll ride in.
Old 07-18-20, 09:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
SRAM uses some type of DOT fluid. I've heard some hardy winter riders say that their Shimano hydros froze in the winter, but we're talking stupid temps (well below 0°F). I've had no issues with Shimano hydro down to ~10°F or so, which is generally as cold as I'll ride in.
Dot 5.1
Old 07-19-20, 07:53 AM
thenetters21

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happily sold all my family's bikes over the past month and bought four new bikes with hydraulic discs and they're amazing. Now I need to think about whether or not I want to spend the money on getting a new road bike.
Old 07-19-20, 09:25 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by vespasianus

This is my new disc brake bike. Campagnolo H11 system. These discs work very well. Easy to modulate and great power when needed. Running 160 F/R.
Nice looking bike!
Old 07-19-20, 10:35 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

Because Luke Skywalker, a Jedi Knight told you to.
"You want disc brakes"
Subscribe
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 07-19-20, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I went from Calipers brakes to Cable disc brakes. Coming from a Motorcycle/Scooter/Moped background. I wonder why the bicycle industry has to build everything on their own. I'm not sure why they don't do drum brakes? They work pretty well. Zero motorcycles came from a bicycle company then went to motorcycle components. I like disk brakes, my cable brakes froze up last winter. This winter I want hydralic brakes, but not sure why bicycles don;t use brake fluid.
"They' do, though now just down to one company Sturmey-Archer | Products Sachs used to, as well, but the Sram Buy Out ended that

I have 30 year old SA drum brake hubs which are reliable .. but not trendy.. hard to sell old and reliable as new & improved..
Old 07-19-20, 12:09 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I wonder why the bicycle industry has to build everything on their own. I'm not sure why they don't do drum brakes? They work pretty well.
My wife's ICE tricycle has drum brakes, they're very smooth and have more than adequate stopping power. She ordered the trike with 70mm brakes but 90mm are available. I think the brakes are made by Sturmey Archer.

Old 07-19-20, 03:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The bottom line here is not if you want them, but they are what you are going to get. The Mfg have pretty much bought into them, and that is what you are going to get.
Old 07-19-20, 08:06 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by rydabent
The bottom line here is not if you want them, but they are what you are going to get. The Mfg have pretty much bought into them, and that is what you are going to get.
My experience was different. In 3 full months of looking into what would best fit my needs, I came across any number of bikes offered in both configurations that checked at least 2 out of 3 boxes. In my case, a bike with hydraulic discs just happened to give me the gearing and handling characteristics I wanted at a price point I, and more importantly my lovely wife, could stomach.
Old 07-20-20, 08:14 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I like disk brakes, my cable brakes froze up last winter. This winter I want hydralic brakes, but not sure why bicycles don;t use brake fluid.
What is your concern? I ride my fat bike in winter that has disc brakes and have ridden it down to near zero degrees with no issues.
Old 07-20-20, 08:18 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It's not a case of the manufactures buying into them. It's a case of it makes more sense.
Old 07-20-20, 08:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
It's not a case of the manufactures buying into them. It's a case of it makes more sense.
But that is basically the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.