Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 05:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Nope, you're wrong again.

When you claim that "it is almost negligent not to use current satellite tracking technology when out in isolated areas" along with your other fearful comments, you're definitely fretting. It's sad.
Now I’m sad? Spoken like a true armchair warrior.
Old 08-03-20, 05:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
All sound like a good ideas. Will they work from a basement?
only if you dont own or rent the basement & it's a relative's property.
Old 08-03-20, 05:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Seriously, if somebody is so paranoid that they won't go out for a bike ride unless they're " connected "...I think it's time for them to find another hobby, find something that doesn't require leaving your house.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-03-20, 06:57 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The only good reason to carry a phone while cycling is for emergencies, I really don't see any other good reasons why a cyclists would carry a phone. If they carry a phone for entertainment then it means that their ride is very dull and boring or they have a serious addiction to social media.
I generally agree, but I also use the phone rather than lugging my SLR or smaller camera to get photos of wildlife or plants, or other things of interest I see when riding.
Old 08-03-20, 07:18 PM
kombiguy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The risk of death is the salt of adventure.
Likes For kombiguy:
Old 08-03-20, 07:29 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Koyote
Umm, has it occurred to you that cell phones often don't work in "isolated areas"?

And while I have seen plenty of older people who can't seem to put down their cellphones, I (and perhaps others) am referring to young people who seem to regard them as necessities rather than luxuries...Which is understandable (if regrettable), given that they can't remember a world without such devices. (And yes, I am presuming that the OP is a younger person.)
Umm, I was talking about using a satellite tracker which does not rely on cell service. My product of choice is SPOT which works great. Typical of most forums but especially with BF lots of broadcasters but few receivers. First of all to each her/his own. However I took the foolish step to post a comment supporting the idea of using a tracker and emergency beacon when going to back country hiking solo and when on extended bike adventures. I regularly do both. If someone wants to be connected all the power to them and their families which I am sure appreciate it. If these internet warriors want to cross Patagonia with nothing but a map and compass great do your thing, however given the ignorant responses I doubt that to be the case. Being involved in our local search and rescue system immense amount of time and resources are spent finding people when they don’t show up which could be reduced.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-03-20 at 07:34 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-03-20, 07:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
lots of broadcasters but few receivers.
Apparently so. Those who keep up recognize this as one of OP's normal joke threads and don't take it too seriously.
Old 08-03-20, 07:39 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Seriously, if somebody is so paranoid that they won't go out for a bike ride unless they're " connected "...I think it's time for them to find another hobby, find something that doesn't require leaving your house.
Again spoken from the perspective of an armchair warrior, get out for a week alone and see how it goes for you.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-03-20 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 07:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Apparently so. Those who keep up recognize this as one of OP's normal joke threads and don't take it too seriously.
Did you see this? problem solved... next please.
Originally Posted by GlennR
You need this helmet.

Don't laugh, he was smart enough to be elected to Congress.
Old 08-03-20, 07:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Yah I know I bit but couldn’t help myself!
Old 08-03-20, 07:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Umm, I was talking about using a satellite tracker which does not rely on cell service. My product of choice is SPOT which works great. Typical of most forums but especially with BF lots of broadcasters but few receivers. First of all to each her/his own. However I took the foolish step to post a comment supporting the idea of using a tracker and emergency beacon when going to back country hiking solo and when on extended bike adventures. I regularly do both. If someone wants to be connected all the power to them and their families which I am sure appreciate it. If these internet warriors want to cross Patagonia with nothing but a map and compass great do your thing, however given the ignorant responses I doubt that to be the case. Being involved in our local search and rescue system immense amount of time and resources are spent finding people when they don’t show up which could be reduced.
This piqued my interest...I had a hunch, and found this article, complete with some statistics, in about 30 seconds. I'm not suggesting that you would activate your SPOT accidentally, or for a trivial event, but I kind of suspected that many people do - and the article confirms this. This is a problem called Moral Hazard: the presence of insurance (in the form of a free rescue) causes people to take excessive risk - or, in this case, encourages people who should not be in the backcountry to head out there, and then get scared by a wild animal or some such stupid thing. Again, I'm not accusing you of anything, so don't get all bent out of shape.

It reminds me of a guy I once came across in a remote dry canyon in Southern Utah. He and his wife couldn't get their fancy water pump filtration thingy to work while filling their bottles from a scuzzy, bug-filled little water hole, and they were considering turning back - on their first day of the trip. They looked pretty disgusted when I used my bandanna to filter the water, dropped in a couple purification tablets, and took off down the canyon.
Old 08-04-20, 08:12 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
. He and his wife couldn't get their fancy water pump filtration thingy to work while filling their bottles from a scuzzy, bug-filled little water hole, and they were considering turning back - on their first day of the trip. They looked pretty disgusted when I used my bandanna to filter the water, dropped in a couple purification tablets, and took off down the canyon.
It's a good thing you had your fancy purification tablet thingies.
Old 08-04-20, 09:07 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This thread and the CO2 inflater thread make an interesting juxtaposition. One of the times I've made the Call Of Shame was when the limited practice I'd done with my CO2 inflater months before turned out to be inadequate on the road, and I was left with a still-flat tire and two empty cartridges. Now I ALWAYS carry a pump.
I have a full size frame pump that gets to 90 psi in 100 strokes, two spare tubes, and a patch kit with new adhesive tube.

On long rides I bring a spare folding tire in case there's a small piece of embedded debris I can't find which produces two punctures in a row.
Old 08-04-20, 09:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
How many modern humans even own a paper map or know how to read one ??
I do, and I taught my wife and 3 sons how to use them.

And adventure cycling sells maps so you can ride all over the US!!!!
Old 08-04-20, 09:13 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Thought I'd reply since so few have had the courtesy of responding to the initial question

I carry my phone even though I often have no reception so it's kind of for emergencies but, in practice, there's a good chance I'd have no connection anyway so, there is that.

I do download off-line maps as I am often on rural roads, often rural gravel roads and I don't always know where I am. I use the phone (Maps.Me) to figure out my current location if I'm not sure. Otherwise, it stays in my jersey pocket.

I usually tell my wife generally where I'm riding, which if I thought about it at all, telling her the general geographic area I'll be riding is kind of useless. I do try to tell her where I expect to park the van at my starting point. That way, if no-one can find my body, at least she can get the van back as she has a spare key.

I tried using the 'share my location' feature on Maps.Me once ... was in rural Vermont gravel roads. I shared at four or five locations. Of course, there was no reception. When I finally got back to my starting point (Greenfield Massachusetts), there was reception and my wife noticed those location shares coming in all at the same time - right when I was loading the bike back into the van.

The one time I had a catastrophic mechanical failure, I was within a few miles of my van so I could coast a few spots and walk the rest. Having said that, at least a couple of guys pulled over to see if I needed help or wanted a ride. Sometimes, when things go wrong, something positive comes from it, i.e. the kindness of strangers. So, sometimes, even if you don't have a plan, or the plan doesn't work out, something unexpected, but positive, happens.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 08-04-20, 10:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
It's a good thing you had your fancy purification tablet thingies.
I would hardly use the word “fancy“ to describe something that costs a few dollars and takes up as much space as a Chapstick.

could’ve boiled the water over my “fancy” backpacking stove, but with no risk of Giardia I didn’t wanna even bother with that.
Old 08-04-20, 10:23 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by cometphoton
The booster is a cradle and you just put the phone into it. The other is to add an antenna.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-04-20, 10:24 AM
Kittyklaw789

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the information!
Old 08-04-20, 10:26 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I generally agree, but I also use the phone rather than lugging my SLR or smaller camera to get photos of wildlife or plants, or other things of interest I see when riding.
Okay, but you don't need service to use the camera.
Old 08-04-20, 10:45 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Okay, but you don't need service to use the camera.
And your point is?

The lack of service does not make it useless, the camera functions fine without service. I carry it in a small handlbar bag so it is protected. It is there IF I NEED IT for emergencies. If there is no service, I would not know unless I needed it and had no service, just like in the land-line era. If there is service, fine. I am not addicted to connectivity, chit-chat, social media, texting, music or videos. Those things are not NEEDS for me while riding.

Bicycles and bicycling are over 100 years old, worked then sans phones, work now sans phones.
Old 08-04-20, 11:01 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
And your point is?

The lack of service does not make it useless, the camera functions fine without service. I carry it in a small handlbar bag so it is protected. It is there IF I NEED IT for emergencies. If there is no service, I would not know unless I needed it and had no service, just like in the land-line era. If there is service, fine. I am not addicted to connectivity, chit-chat, social media, texting, music or videos. Those things are not NEEDS for me while riding.

Bicycles and bicycling are over 100 years old, worked then sans phones, work now sans phones.
Who said it was useless? My point is in reference to the OP and their concern about not having service. That is what this thread is about, not whether or not a cell phone is useful. You can carry a cell phone and use it as a camera without service, but that is not what the OP was asking about. Relax, I didn't criticize you, nor did I imply you were addicted to your phone.
Old 08-04-20, 12:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I believe that technology has taken a lot of the adventure out of cycle touring. During the last 10 years my wife and I spent a total of 2 years riding our bikes self supported through 11 countries, including riding across the U.S. and across most of Canada. This amounts to about 25,000 miles. Using the internet took many of the unknowns out of these rides; and many times the unknown enhanced the sense of adventure, and increased serendipity. We had a lot of adventures on our bikes prior to cell phones, but as we got older we have redefined our definition of adventure.

We use our cell phones a lot but sometimes I still feel that I don't need to know: every turn of a route, the elevation profile, exactly where I'm going to sleep that night, the exact route more that 2 days ahead of time, and what the direction and strength of the wind is going to be in the afternoon. The list could go on.

Also, as folks gain confidence the reliance on electronics will become less important. I would not want to go back to to the mode of touring we did 30 years ago. But then again, camping behind a cemetery because we could not any other place to camp provides a little sense of adventure.
Old 08-04-20, 12:26 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?
Keep riding until I'm back in civilization.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-05-20, 01:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Google Fi offers more flexibility for coverage so you're less likely to be without phone use for long. Phone selection is a bit limited but worth considering if you travel a lot or ride through areas with spotty coverage.

An old trick that used to work with some phones and networks would be to go to the phone settings and switch between LTE, 3G and 2G until you got a connection. I've had to do that in some dead spots while traveling. Sometimes it worked just well enough to get a call or text through even when data was inaccessible or sluggish.
Old 08-05-20, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
What do you do if you get injured and can’t ride? There’s no app?
Yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.