Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant TCR frame sizing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant TCR frame sizing

Old 07-26-20, 08:54 PM
Trobinson986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant TCR frame sizing

I’m new to cycling and I recently purchased a giant TCR advanced disc. I am just barely under 6’1” tall. The shop sold me a size Large. Is this the correct frame size?

also, how do you actually measure the frame? I was told a giant size large is a 58cm frame. Where is that 58cm actually measured from?
Old 07-26-20, 09:03 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
58 cm would be the horizontal top tube length. It is distance C in the geometry picture towards the bottom of this site: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...o-compact-2021 Not very easy to measure yourself, but size large seems right for your height, unless you want a really high drop to bars for a more aggressive fit.
Old 07-27-20, 05:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Nice bike, size sounds right, enjoy it!
Old 07-27-20, 06:38 AM
trainsktg

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I am 6'1 and my TCR is an M/L. But my Defy is an L. And my Revolt is an M. If it feels too big it probably is (a test ride of an L Revolt told me that). Otherwise its probably OK.

Keith
Old 07-27-20, 08:47 AM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
At 6'1 you have an overlap size. That means that a M/L or an L can both probably be adjusted to fit you. M/L would be more aggressive geometry, L would be more relaxed. I'd say test ride.
Old 07-27-20, 09:32 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I'm a little over 6'1" and ride 58cm road bikes, if that helps any.
Old 07-27-20, 09:47 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I think sizing is more personal; I have a Giant TCR-1 (an '06) that says "L" and the size is 56. I'm 5-10, but can't ride anything smaller without having comfort issues.

Height is far from the only significant stat. Are you long limbed? That will definitely change what you find "fits." And some people like to feel more stretched out on a bike, some like to be in a more compact position. As always, YMMV.

If the bike feels too big, than perhaps it is. For you. Play with the seat position, adjust the handlebars, see what you come up with.
Old 07-27-20, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Are you comfortable on the bike (or relatively so) then probably good if it feels too big or too small than probably not so good.

When this whole pandemic is over you should find a fitter to help you set the bike up.
Old 07-28-20, 02:46 AM
Trobinson986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I am long limbed. My inside leg measurement is a solid 34 inches.
Old 07-28-20, 01:56 PM
y2zipper

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I think sizing is more personal; I have a Giant TCR-1 (an '06) that says "L" and the size is 56. I'm 5-10, but can't ride anything smaller without having comfort issues.

Height is far from the only significant stat. Are you long limbed? That will definitely change what you find "fits." And some people like to feel more stretched out on a bike, some like to be in a more compact position. As always, YMMV.

If the bike feels too big, than perhaps it is. For you. Play with the seat position, adjust the handlebars, see what you come up with.
I agree here. I hate that size charts only use height when there are so many other considerations precisely because of overlap.
Likes For y2zipper:
Old 07-28-20, 04:42 PM
Trobinson986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took it to a professional set up. It turns out my legs and arms are quite long relative to my height. I wanted to lower the bars for a racier fit and had to get shorter cranks to accommodate so because with the 175mm cranks that came on the bike my knees were coming too high to my chest at the bar height I wanted. I put 165mm cranks on. It should help increase my cadence also which I think will take load off my knee (I was having some left knee pain which we seems to have determined in the fitting was because my saddle was too high and I tend to lean to my right so I think I was over stretching the medial side of my left knee)
Old 07-28-20, 05:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

6' with 165mm cranks Your pro fitter has some unique ideas for sure! Hope it works for you
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-20, 08:23 PM
Trobinson986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After changing my crank length from 175 to 165, my highest gear seems much more difficult to push. Does this sound accurate to you guys?

also, regarding your comment on 165mm cranks for my height- is that bad advice?
Old 07-28-20, 09:32 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Trobinson986
After changing my crank length from 175 to 165, my highest gear seems much more difficult to push. Does this sound accurate to you guys?
Yes. It's a lever so for a given force at the pedal, shorter lever arm, less torque.
also, regarding your comment on 165mm cranks for my height- is that bad advice?
Don't know, but 165 for a six-footer is uncommon to say the least.

scott s.
Old 07-29-20, 05:18 PM
Trobinson986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Yes. It's a lever so for a given force at the pedal, shorter lever arm, less torque.

Don't know, but 165 for a six-footer is uncommon to say the least.

scott s.
why is it uncommon? Please share your thoughts
Old 07-29-20, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I'll let someone else explain the "why" but generally 165mm cranks would be used by someone in the 5' range. XS or under 50cm size bikes might come with them. Large bikes come with 175mm because it's an appropriate size for most who fit that size bike. Obviously there are outliers. Your "pro" fitter seems to think you are really outside the norm. Hopefully he has a reason, but anyone can claim to be a bike fitter and there are plenty of crackpots around. You have the cranks on there, might as well give them a try. Keep your 175s just in case.
Old 07-29-20, 05:54 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why is it uncommon? Please share your thoughts
There are two things to take into consideration when making a crank arm adjustment: 1) How high the knee is during the upstroke (this is what you fitter focused on) 2) Where your feet is on the pedal given the comfortable fore-aft position of the saddle. It is going to be almost always a compromise between these two aspects of a fit when you decide on a crank length. With a shorter crank length, you might have more comfort during the upstroke, but you feet will be farther forward on the pedal. If you are not a toe-dipper, this is not an issue. But for people like myself, who dip their toes during hard efforts, having your feet too much forward on the pedal will reduce power output as calf muscles won't be engaged as much. Another thing to consider is the rotational speed of your feet. At the same rpm, your feet will be going around faster with a shorter crank, which might require some getting used to. It's true that you would need a bigger force on the pedal to generate the same torque on a shorter crank, but the differences are usually largely offset by the comfort gains from a proper crank length.
Old 07-29-20, 06:01 PM
Trobinson986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a “reputable” place and he sort of urged me towards 165mm cranks. I wanted to lower my bars but I couldn’t really lower them much with my 175mm cranks because I was “bouncing” too much. As in my knees were coming too close to my chest as the fitter put it. He’s 5’11” and rides 165mm cranks. I considered 170mm but for whatever reason he sort of seemed to lean towards 165. He had to order them either way so it’s not like he was just trying to sell me whatever was in the shop. Do you think I made a mistake doing that short? I went for a ride tonight and definitely felt the difference. I had zero knee pain whereas with my 175mm cranks I was having some knee pain
Old 07-29-20, 06:13 PM
y2zipper

I went to a “reputable” place and he sort of urged me towards 165mm cranks. I wanted to lower my bars but I couldn’t really lower them much with my 175mm cranks because I was “bouncing” too much. As in my knees were coming too close to my chest as the fitter put it. He’s 5’11” and rides 165mm cranks. I considered 170mm but for whatever reason he sort of seemed to lean towards 165. He had to order them either way so it’s not like he was just trying to sell me whatever was in the shop. Do you think I made a mistake doing that short? I went for a ride tonight and definitely felt the difference. I had zero knee pain whereas with my 175mm cranks I was having some knee pain
If you had pain and it went away, that's probably a good start.

​​​​​
Likes For y2zipper:
Old 08-08-20, 07:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Update? Curious how the 165 cranks are working out.