Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Asymmetric Decal Degradation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 09:15 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

Over the years, I have given my Litespeed the occasional spruce up, including new decals (one of the great things about bare Ti - new decals makes the whole thing look new again). Last time I did the decals, maybe 15 years ago, within a couple of years, the left hand side top tube decal was starting to degrade while the right hand decal looked fine. After a while, I simply removed the tatty decal with acetone and left the right hand one alone and the right one spent a decade aging gracefully from sun exposure etc. Fast forward to 2020. I strip the bike down to the frame and give everything a good clean up and overhaul, including a new set of model year-correct decals (LS carries decal sets going back to 1996). I applied these in Feb or Mar of this year. However, again, the left hand decal is started to curl up and degrade (See pics)

Top Tube Right Side

Top Tube Left Side

I also have a pair of Chorus shifters that I used for ~5 years back in the 2000's, and the left lever screen printing is significantly more degraded than the right (my brakes are set up right-front, so the right lever does most of the work

Over the years, with various moves etc, the bike has been stored in different garages, sometimes in the house, so there's no consistent asymmetric exposure, but the left decals consistently degrade. When I first noticed this, I though that maybe my left knee, coated with sunscreen, was inadvertently rubbing the left top tube decal, but that's not the case. My current working theory (not serious) is that I'm a chimera, and my left side twin's sweat is considerably more corrosive than that of the right side twin. This might also explain the interesting conversations I have with myself on long "solo" rides!
Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Litespud; 08-07-20 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Does the left side get more frequent sun exposure, like when you stop and lean the bike again?

BITD I frequently did the same out and back ride on an MUP. Because of timing, I usually started the return when the sun was higher in the sky. My right arm would be slightly darker than my left. Sun really takes its toll. I have a jersey that I have worn during several one and two week tours. The upper back area is noticeably faded from UV rays. My rear pannier tops are also quite faded.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-08-20, 06:47 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Over the years, I have given my Litespeed the occasional spruce up, including new decals (one of the great things about bare Ti - new decals makes the whole thing look new again). Last time I did the decals, maybe 15 years ago, within a couple of years, the left hand side top tube decal was starting to degrade while the right hand decal looked fine. After a while, I simply removed the tatty decal with acetone and left the right hand one alone and the right one spent a decade aging gracefully from sun exposure etc. Fast forward to 2020. I strip the bike down to the frame and give everything a good clean up and overhaul, including a new set of model year-correct decals (LS carries decal sets going back to 1996). I applied these in Feb or Mar of this year. However, again, the left hand decal is started to curl up and degrade (See pics)

Top Tube Right Side

Top Tube Left Side

I also have a pair of Chorus shifters that I used for ~5 years back in the 2000's, and the left lever screen printing is significantly more degraded than the right (my brakes are set up right-front, so the right lever does most of the work

Over the years, with various moves etc, the bike has been stored in different garages, sometimes in the house, so there's no consistent asymmetric exposure, but the left decals consistently degrade. When I first noticed this, I though that maybe my left knee, coated with sunscreen, was inadvertently rubbing the left top tube decal, but that's not the case. My current working theory (not serious) is that I'm a chimera, and my left side twin's sweat is considerably more corrosive than that of the right side twin. This might also explain the interesting conversations I have with myself on long "solo" rides!
Thoughts, suggestions welcome.
Maybe you lean a bit to one side and all the sweat goes to that side? If you have a trainer or rollers and a mirror you can check your symmetry on a bike. If you've had any injuries, your position might not be what you think it is.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-08-20, 10:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Maybe you lean a bit to one side and all the sweat goes to that side? If you have a trainer or rollers and a mirror you can check your symmetry on a bike. If you've had any injuries, your position might not be what you think it is.
+1. Coming to a stop, which foot do you put down? For me it's usually my left, keeping my right clipped in on the pedal, also with tendency to lean my bike to my right leg/thigh, and voila, my Ti decals are more worn on that side. As for braking, haven't seen a wear difference on my Chorus shiffters' logo, my generally my 1-2 fingers on the brake lever are falling below the logos in the bottom part of the "S" curve, which is below the logo on my newer model. Looking at the OP's photo, I don't see how there'd ever really be wear in the "CHOR" part of the logo from braking.