Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-26-20, 12:38 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Something is wrong. Went from 305w on Epic KOM two weeks back to today only like 225 on the TT bike on a 10'er try this morning outdoors. It's a restrictive fit on that bike, but I can't imagine it being that bad. Did 24.5mph on a pretty flattish route with rougher tarmac, so I believe the power figure this time.

I don't get it. Less than a month ago did the SST short on Zwift on the TT bike in little less aggressive position at a lot more power and good HR.

I dunno if I overtrained or it got hot or what. Lactic pain didn't really feel bad, it was all in the heart and lungs.

Freaking slow as balls, freaking low ass power. Super super frustrated. I really don't get it. Maybe the 305w was a bad spindown on the Kickr to the generous side of things. Either way,.... ****!
Old 06-26-20, 01:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
Did a Zwift TTT with some buddies from the San Diego Velodrome yesterday. It was interesting. Ended up with about 40' at about 4.3 w/kg. Hurt pretty bad towards the end.

It's so much harder to coordinate then a real world TTT as you might imagine. We had a rough plan outlined at the start with 8 riders, some of whom fell back of course. It was tough to keep that rotation in line as people got dropped or were generally just fatigued. Voice meeting on Zoom. Also the draft in Z is way less than real life as well. I was doing my pulls at 5.0 feeling fine but then realizing that I had to be a bit more conservative as I wasn't able to recover as much as real life for various reasons.

For the real world TTT's I do (with different guys), the pulls are closer to 6.0 w/kg for me. Much bigger disparity in power. Also we do shorter pulls, but that's probably because it's easier to coordinate and there is less fitness disparity than our Zwift group last night where three of us were taking much longer pulls.

Last edited by TMonk; 06-26-20 at 04:46 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-26-20, 02:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Zwift, I find the draft is measly unless it is an event does the "full draft" option. I wish Zwift would enable draft for TT bikes for only TTT races. That'd be freaking cool. You have to TTT right now in road bikes, otherwise no draft.

I've done two TTT for Team Type 1 in the WRTL series stuff. Not for a while though, it usually wrecks my week to do 40min bouncing it off the limiter.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-26-20, 02:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Ya. I took my (actual/real world) TT bike out this morning to do a quick 1x25' on Fiesta Island at tempo, and felt a lot better than I expected to with a solid SST off feel. Was a bit haggard last nite before bed.

Going for 6+ hrs tomorrow (road ride).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-26-20, 02:27 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Did a few jumps at the track, followed by 10 minutes at 106,102, and 98% with 5' rbi. Suprathreshold gives a really lousy TSS/difficulty ratio.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-26-20, 02:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Wednesday was a high intensity strength session and Thursday was a 2 hour coastal ride with VO2 intervals.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-26-20, 04:07 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
FTP intervals and 3 hours of endurance tomorrow... easy day lol.
Likes For procrit:
Old 06-27-20, 03:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2.5 hour endurance ride via Camp Pendleton and San Clemente. Today, was not my day. It started with me accidentally putting my Garmin into the screen / battery save mode such that the screen would only stay on for 10 seconds and then go dark. If I touched the screen, it came back on.

After a couple of attempts to find the command to return the function off, I momentarily gave up since my wife was griping about me slowing her down.

If there was ever a time to have a mask on it was for this ride. A bee flies into my mouth and before I could spit him out stings me on the inside of my upper lip. Yikes. It hurt a lot. We stop and my wife has to flail around in my mouth with her fingers trying to get the stinger out. She is successful but it still hurts like hell.

She said maybe you should go back to the car. She is now concerned that the bee sting may impact the speed of the ride. Just get on your TT bike and hit it. I will be fine.

After the sting, I found the command to restore my Garmin and all was good but for a sore and slightly swollen mouth. I had solid numbers. Bee venom = good.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-27-20, 08:44 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Started to bonk around hour 3 today. Really weird feeling, I started getting cold and my heart rate steadily dropped and power became impossible to maintain. I had one gel along for the ride and 15 mins after I took it I was back to feeling good. I need to work on my fueling strategy...
Old 06-28-20, 05:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
5min test yesterday. Broke a boa and top half of climb was muddy and slick. New PR despite that. Golden Cheetah thinks my vo2 is 74 (lol)

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 06-28-20 at 06:19 AM.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 06-28-20, 10:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

5.5 hrs yesterday w NP right at the edge of z3. Pretty cooked after and did a 2' at ~6.1 w/kg (130%) towards the end to catch up to a buddy I saw ahead of me up Presidio. I expected my legs to just die about half way up but they responded well!

Currently finishing up a Z1/2 recovery spin in Zwift. Running it in window mode. I love the ability to multitask while doing warm up, cool down or easy rides!

For next week I plan to do a tempo rep up Alpe de Zwift tomorrow, Zwift race on Tuesday, then a healthy dose of volume over the holiday weekend between road, MTB and TT bike. We have Th and F off work.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-28-20, 03:30 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
2.5 hour endurance ride via Camp Pendleton and San Clemente. Today, was not my day. It started with me accidentally putting my Garmin into the screen / battery save mode such that the screen would only stay on for 10 seconds and then go dark. If I touched the screen, it came back on.

After a couple of attempts to find the command to return the function off, I momentarily gave up since my wife was griping about me slowing her down.

If there was ever a time to have a mask on it was for this ride. A bee flies into my mouth and before I could spit him out stings me on the inside of my upper lip. Yikes. It hurt a lot. We stop and my wife has to flail around in my mouth with her fingers trying to get the stinger out. She is successful but it still hurts like hell.

She said maybe you should go back to the car. She is now concerned that the bee sting may impact the speed of the ride. Just get on your TT bike and hit it. I will be fine.

After the sting, I found the command to restore my Garmin and all was good but for a sore and slightly swollen mouth. I had solid numbers. Bee venom = good.
Did I see you two near Torrey Pines? I was in a group of 4 heading down the hill towards bird rock coffee from the coast
Old 06-28-20, 05:57 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Full Recovery week then starting a big block for racing....then I get sick.

My wife was really sick, I was kind of sick. We had many of the symptoms and got tested. The sad thing is 'we lived our lives in fear' (as they say) and did everything right.

We were pretty sure we had it but luckily tested negative. I still feel 'off' and I'm not quite sure what it is but I'm consuming 4,000-5,000 calories a day and light exercise. Before this started I just hit race weight and was sitting at 85 ctl, pretty sure that's done.
Old 06-28-20, 06:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Did I see you two near Torrey Pines? I was in a group of 4 heading down the hill towards bird rock coffee from the coast
No, not on Saturday, we started at the South Gate of the camp and rode north, We rode Torrey on Thursday.
Old 06-28-20, 07:47 PM
wktmeow

No, not on Saturday, we started at the South Gate of the camp and rode north, We rode Torrey on Thursday.
Oh sorry I meant today.
Old 06-28-20, 09:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Oh sorry I meant today.
We started our ride today from the Carmel Mountain Road park and ride at 8:45 and rode to Carlsbad and back. It was probably not us.
Old 06-28-20, 09:28 PM
wktmeow

We started our ride today from the Carmel Mountain Road park and ride at 8:45 and rode to Carlsbad and back. It was probably not us.
Au contraire, we rolled from mission bay park around 8:05 and Carmel Mountain Road was where I spotted you maybe 45 mins later. Hope you had a nice ride, sorry I didn't get a positive ID in time to wave or anything👍
Old 06-28-20, 09:56 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Au contraire, we rolled from mission bay park around 8:05 and Carmel Mountain Road was where I spotted you maybe 45 mins later. Hope you had a nice ride, sorry I didn't get a positive ID in time to wave or anything👍
It is hard to keep track of other cyclists on the road. Oh well. Next time. We had a great ride. We like that route for road bike tempo riding.
Old 06-29-20, 12:31 AM
aaronmcd

First real big ride in a year at least. Rode 8 hours today. "Only" 90 miles in that time cuz I was on my gravel bike exploring some cool trails. Rocks, roots, ruts, mud, fun. Got a sausage and beer at Gestalt Haus before heading back to try and refuel some of the estimated 5000 calories burned.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-29-20, 11:46 AM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
First real big ride in a year at least. Rode 8 hours today. "Only" 90 miles in that time cuz I was on my gravel bike exploring some cool trails. Rocks, roots, ruts, mud, fun. Got a sausage and beer at Gestalt Haus before heading back to try and refuel some of the estimated 5000 calories burned.
Oh I just noticed this also made my first 200+ mile week in just over 2 years! Yearly mileage from Strava:
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-30-20, 02:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TTT Tuesday at Fiesta. I have been riding my road bike and today, I took out the TT bike. I expected pain and suffering and instead it was a chainless day and everything felt easy including breathing in the TT position.

One of the drivers to take out the TT bike is that SD Velodrome is going to have racing starting up. It will be time trials - flying 200, 500 and maybe 3k. We will be back at the track this week.

The Fiesta Island stop signs are gone and the whites lines painted across the road now painted black. The dogs allowed off the leash sign is also gone. All is well in the universe.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-30-20, 02:58 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'm on the last week of TR SSB2 HV, today was 4x20 @ 90%, which felt pretty good. I'm hoping to skip the last weekend workouts and actually get on my road bike outdoors for the first time since August and do a century, which I did last year in 5:15, although I'd expect about the same again. Been riding indoors too much, I don't necessarily mind it, but I gotta do something epic
Old 06-30-20, 06:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Got dropped in my first Z race today. Wound up in a group of three chasing behind the main pack. I settled into it and was kinda having some fun racing out of positions like 30-33 out of 40, but then we got lapped with like 1/3 of the race left and it wasn't fun any more so I logged off and cruised Watopia z1.

Man, after like 7' at 5.0 there was a surge at the front and I found myself dangling OTB. Rather than murder myself to get in I tried to anticipate a lull in pace and TT on with two others but we just got distanced. I looked at the w/kg in the front group fully expecting it to drop to a more reasonable pace, but it never went below like 4.5 w/kg for anyone in the group, which is approximately my threshold. Crazy!

Trying not to beat myself up too much over it though. Really I should have just stayed in and got a decent TT interval behind the group at least. I'm thinking there is a lot of fitness disparity in the A's and it really depends on what race you chose and who you race against. In the past few "A" races I've done I've finished mid-pack but at least finished with the main group and felt like a contender. Maybe with some more experience I can begin to discern how difficult a race will be based on the description and/or other publicly available information. it was a humbling learning experience for sure.
Old 06-30-20, 07:00 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by TMonk
Got dropped in my first Z race today. Wound up in a group of three chasing behind the main pack. I settled into it and was kinda having some fun racing out of positions like 30-33 out of 40, but then we got lapped with like 1/3 of the race left and it wasn't fun any more so I logged off and cruised Watopia z1.

Man, after like 7' at 5.0 there was a surge at the front and I found myself dangling OTB. Rather than murder myself to get in I tried to anticipate a lull in pace and TT on with two others but we just got distanced. I looked at the w/kg in the front group fully expecting it to drop to a more reasonable pace, but it never went below like 4.5 w/kg for anyone in the group, which is approximately my threshold. Crazy!

Trying not to beat myself up too much over it though. Really I should have just stayed in and got a decent TT interval behind the group at least. I'm thinking there is a lot of fitness disparity in the A's and it really depends on what race you chose and who you race against. In the past few "A" races I've done I've finished mid-pack but at least finished with the main group and felt like a contender. Maybe with some more experience I can begin to discern how difficult a race will be based on the description and/or other publicly available information. it was a humbling learning experience for sure.
I don't really understand how racing on Zwift is supposed to work. First off, why does w/kg even matter unless it's all climbing? Even if they estimate your frontal area based on weight it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference, right? Also, can't people just input whatever weight they want?
Old 06-30-20, 07:08 PM
aaronmcd

Gym this morning, working my way back up on deadlifts but trying to not overdo it. 385x2 top set today.
1 hour ride this afternoon on the loop I've been doing lately. It's nice cuz I can get maybe 20 minutes of zone 5 in but it doesn't feel annoying like hill repeats. Cuz they're different hills. Up to 74 CTL. Not sure how high I wanna take it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.