Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying new saddle

Old 08-02-20, 10:11 AM
daveton

Bikes: Trek checkpoint ALR 5. Trek Domane SL 6 Etap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Buying new saddle

Mostly a curiosity question. When buying a new saddle how would you know if it’s the right fit?Weather it’s comfortable? Right saddle for the riding you do? The saddle that came with my bike is working out fine. I just thought I’d throw out the question. Also how will I know when I need to replace the pads on my disc breaks?
Old 08-02-20, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Oooh Another 'which saddle' thread ...

as to the disc pads .. take them out & look ?
Old 08-02-20, 10:26 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not only that, I'm not even sure why he mentioned the weather.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-02-20, 11:08 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
You can determine if a saddle will be comfortable by ensuring the seat height, fore and aft adjustment, and tilt are correct, as well as your reach.
Old 08-02-20, 11:15 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have Specialized Body Geometry (which is surprisingly comfortable), Brooks B-17 which is a very nice saddle (and quite comfortable), and Selle AnAtomica which is an extremely nice saddle (and extremely comfortable - and also my favorite).

Those are my choices!
Old 08-02-20, 11:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Test ride and bring your buttocks
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-02-20, 01:44 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by daveton
Mostly a curiosity question. When buying a new saddle how would you know if it’s the right fit?Weather it’s comfortable? Right saddle for the riding you do? The saddle that came with my bike is working out fine. I just thought I’d throw out the question. Also how will I know when I need to replace the pads on my disc breaks?
You really can’t know if a saddle is going to be comfortable until you try it.

As for the disk pads, just visually inspect them. If the bike is new notice the thickness of the pads now and make a mental note. If the bike isn’t new, go look at a pair of replacement pads at your local bike store and make a mental note of the thickness. Then inspect your pads every 6 months or so. When they get very thin, replace them. I can get about 12-15,000 miles out of my pads, but some people get significantly more and some significantly less.
Old 08-02-20, 01:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Some bike shops have "test saddles" you can use to help decide which saddle works best. You put a nominal deposit down, install the test saddle on your bike, ride for some arbitrary period (days, weeks, whatever the shop can agree to), and get your deposit back (or apply it to a new saddle) when you return the test saddle.
Old 08-02-20, 02:45 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

as to the disc pads .. take them out & look ?
Saddle threads can be entertaining but nothing like “best lube”, “campy vs shimano” or “conti vs vittoria. Those are usually popcorn worthy.
Old 08-02-20, 04:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Some bike shops have "test saddles" you can use to help decide which saddle works best. You put a nominal deposit down, install the test saddle on your bike, ride for some arbitrary period (days, weeks, whatever the shop can agree to), and get your deposit back (or apply it to a new saddle) when you return the test saddle.
Gee, I don't know if I'd want to ride a saddle after somebody put a deposit on it. Ewwwww.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-20, 04:43 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
The attempt at humor when it works ...makes one look good. But, when it doesn't work...
Old 08-02-20, 06:52 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'll take a stab at the great saddle dilemma. Narrow down what saddle would work for you. Find out if you like a short-nose or long-nose saddle. Curvey or flat, cut out, no cut out. Go to your local Specialized dealer and get your sit bones measured. Find a saddle that is at least 20mm wider than your sit bones.
Old 08-03-20, 04:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Saddles - good advice given so far: find a local bike shop that will let you test ride saddles and try them out. A bike shop may also have some saddle manufacturer test system that will give you an idea of size and shape.

Disc pads: short answer is when the pads reach 1mm in thickness, time to replace. That is a bit thinner than a US dime, or (legend has it) 3 business cards.

On anything bike maintenance-wise, you can do an internet search on the term and add Park Tool -they have very good videos explaining stuff. I find that is easier than finding old threads on the online forums.
Old 08-03-20, 05:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Saddles have characteristics, as j@Sojodave pointed out above. Learn the attributes of saddles that work for you, and buy only "in family" of those sorts of saddles. For me (for a racing position or for MTB):

1) Narrow
2) Flat fore and aft, not scooped
3) Flat port to starboard, not rounded
4) Firm beneath, and minimally padded
5) Under 200 grams

For a utility/touring position, then add:

1) A bit wider, think Brooks Team Pro
2) Leather, with laced side skirts
3) Weight is not a consideration

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 08-03-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 07:13 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The type of saddle you choose depends on what type of bike you're riding and your riding position. Is your riding position aggressive and aero, is it neutral or is it more upright ??...once you have the right saddle for your bike and riding style, then you need to adjust it correctly.
Old 08-04-20, 11:36 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Saddle fiiting:

1) On line research and reviews.
2) Buy one on line, ride with it and hope it won't cut you in half.
3) Buy one from a good LBS which will provide a saddle fit service, ride with it and still hope it won't cut you in half.
4) Already have a well fitted saddle and make sure your next saddle is 'like for like' or that the lenght, width, shape (waved, flat, cutout etc) are as near as damn it.
5) Make sure your cycle shorts padding is up to scratch...the best fitting saddle in the world can't compensate for poor designed chamois padding (like riding 6 hours in bibs designed for 2-3hrs of butt pressure...).
6) Years of riding...sometimes you just know what will work for you just by looking at it...like some kind of Jedi Saddle Master...
7) Impulse buying a saddle because it's the lightest, most technically advanced perch...ever...and it will make your bike look 'way cool'...NO, just no...

Disk pad replacement:

Parktool recommend changing disk pads at 1mm and less of pad material...the thickness of three business cards apparently
Old 08-04-20, 04:04 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Not only that, I'm not even sure why he mentioned the weather.
and he already knows his discs are broken.......LOL

Seriously, as previously stated, take the BRAKE pads out and have a look at them.

Last edited by avmech; 08-04-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 09:33 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Saddle fiiting:

1) On line research and reviews.
2) Buy one on line, ride with it and hope it won't cut you in half.
3) Buy one from a good LBS which will provide a saddle fit service, ride with it and still hope it won't cut you in half.
4) Already have a well fitted saddle and make sure your next saddle is 'like for like' or that the lenght, width, shape (waved, flat, cutout etc) are as near as damn it.
5) Make sure your cycle shorts padding is up to scratch...the best fitting saddle in the world can't compensate for poor designed chamois padding (like riding 6 hours in bibs designed for 2-3hrs of butt pressure...).
6) Years of riding...sometimes you just know what will work for you just by looking at it...like some kind of Jedi Saddle Master...
7) Impulse buying a saddle because it's the lightest, most technically advanced perch...ever...and it will make your bike look 'way cool'...NO, just no...

Disk pad replacement:

Parktool recommend changing disk pads at 1mm and less of pad material...the thickness of three business cards apparently
I ride without special bike shorts quite often, 50 miles or so days on tour without issue. How do you explain that? Oh... yeah, proper seat height, reach, etc.
Old 08-05-20, 09:35 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Hison
My old saddle's already scratched, is there any way to save it?
No. Throw it out. It will never be the same. You will feel the scratch. The only potential you have to not feel the scratch is if "your cycle shorts padding is up to scratch..." as per Bob.
Old 08-05-20, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by Hison
My old saddle's already scratched, is there any way to save it?
gaffers tape... Better than duct tape.

Vinyl upholstery patching goo @ auto parts stores..
Old 08-05-20, 11:40 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I ride without special bike shorts quite often, 50 miles or so days on tour without issue. How do you explain that? Oh... yeah, proper seat height, reach, etc.
Ok...calm down fella Each to their own sunshine. Advice, take it or leave it...no skin off my padded butt.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-05-20, 11:44 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Ok...calm down fella Each to their own sunshine. Advice, take it or leave it...no skin off my padded butt.
Old 08-07-20, 11:33 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Test ride and bring your buttocks
Are you saying this is one time you can trust an as*hole?
Old 08-07-20, 01:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Are you saying this is one time you can trust an as*hole?
Not the hole so make sure the saddle is on and you don't sit on the seat post.
Old 08-07-20, 02:13 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Saddles are extremely specific to the rider. You might have to go through a dozen to discover one you can ride with. So you should buy them off of your local Craigslist as cheaply as you could get them. Usually you can get away with a Prologo Q that rides well enough that you can compare other saddles to it. The older generation saddles simply do not ride well.

As for your disk brakes - you look down in between the disk and the shoe. You can see how much material is left. If not you may have to brush out the dirt to see. If they are Shimano they are easy to remove and inspect. And you should always keep a spare set f brake shoes around all of the time. Also keep track of the wear on the disk. While on road bikes you generally don't have a problem. On anything ridden off road you can get debris on the shoes that can cut almost through the disk pretty rapidly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.