Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek better than Cervelo?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek better than Cervelo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 09:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I dont know where either of the frames are built. Chances are both are built in Asia, maybe in the same frame factory. There are only about a half dozen different frame mfg, and they build up a frame, and then paint it with the brand name of the company that ordered it.
Old 08-09-20, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've read of Carbon frames shipped from Asia then painted & finished in European companies ,

In the 80's the local bike shop did final prep of Italian Steel bike frames & forks

So Campagnolo sold many Chase & Face frame prep tool sets ..
Old 08-09-20, 11:11 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I've read of Carbon frames shipped from Asia then painted & finished in European companies ,

In the 80's the local bike shop did final prep of Italian Steel bike frames & forks

So Campagnolo sold many Chase & Face frame prep tool sets ..
They are usually painted in Asia too. Not for me, I found great carbon bikes made in Italy and the US for the same price. Just took a little work.
Old 08-09-20, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a steel Pinarello..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-09-20, 07:24 PM
basscadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Trek does not have any of its carbon frames manufactured in China, only in Taiwan. Most of the major bike manufacturers (Giant, Specialized, etc) are the same. Taiwan is pretty much ground zero for high quality carbon frame manufacturing in Asia.
Old 08-09-20, 07:39 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
Trek does not have any of its carbon frames manufactured in China, only in Taiwan. Most of the major bike manufacturers (Giant, Specialized, etc) are the same. Taiwan is pretty much ground zero for high quality carbon frame manufacturing in Asia.
I think that Giant does lots of manufacturing in the mainland. They bring it back to Taiwan to do final "prep" and ship. In todays world, things are not as clear cut as people would like. Like Pivots being from Burma.
Old 08-09-20, 07:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As I say in every thread where someone is putting two bikes head to head, ride 'em both and buy the one that speaks to you. I tested half a dozen bikes the day I got my R3, and they ranged from "omigod I hate this" to "if the 1995 Honda Civic was a bicycle, this would be it." Then I rode the Cervelo, and I knew. It will celebrate it's 3rd birthday next month. It has 13,000 miles on it.
Old 08-09-20, 07:48 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I think that Giant does lots of manufacturing in the mainland. They bring it back to Taiwan to do final "prep" and ship. In todays world, things are not as clear cut as people would like. Like Pivots being from Burma.
That's interesting...I had thought that they had all but closed shop in the mainland due to tariffs.
Old 08-09-20, 07:52 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
80% of carbon frames are made by Giant or Merida. Merida does not sell its bikes here because of a non-compete with Specialized. Who really knows if they care about quality control with subcontractored brands.

I also learned something in my shopping and research. The team bikes that you see racing and competing are in many cases other brands. Canyon for example has team bikes made by Sarto in Italy. Pinarello makes bikes for several other teams as does Basso.

I haven’t shopped for a bike in 12 years and I am now. The only carbon bike I am comfortable buying is a Pinarello Dogma that is made in Italy or a Basso which is made in Italy. There are few carbon manufactures in the USA like Allied in Arkansas and Parlee in Mass. and I am still considering them.
I don't understand...so the Team Movistar Canyon Ultimate bike they sell on their website has nothing to do with the actual bikes that the team uses?
Old 08-09-20, 09:33 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by basscadet
I don't understand...so the Team Movistar Canyon Ultimate bike they sell on their website has nothing to do with the actual bikes that the team uses?
If that frame is made in Asia then it is a copy and probably a very good one.
Old 09-21-20, 09:55 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by y2zipper
I kind of feel this way after shopping recently and comparing Trek, Bianchi and Giant. I bought a Trek because it fit best, but the jump in price from the ultegra to Di2 is money I could use to upgrade the handlebars and wheels.
If you literally have to choose between Di2 and good wheels, I would pick the wheels. But outside of that situation, give me Di2 8 days a week. Most people who criticize Di2 haven't used it, and I've never met anyone who actually has Di2 that regretted the choice. It isn't a requirement to enjoy your bike, but it's a hugely nice upgrade.
Old 09-21-20, 09:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't most think Cervelo > Trek?
Old 09-21-20, 10:02 AM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
don't most think Cervelo > Trek?
Negative, two reasons: Trek's move to a T47 threaded BB and the service levels at the stores which are generally very good to excellent, IMO.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-21-20, 10:30 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
You gotta make your own decision but hey, $1500 is $1500. As far as BB issues, anyone who has had them is because of a poor build. As long as you use the correct Loctite and primer (very important) they won't creak, ever. My first S5 I kept for 5 years, never an issue. I'm on my second one and fully expect it to be as reliable. Bottom line is, do your own research as far as what type of Loctite and primer to use, make sure to buy them and give them to your mechanic and don't be afraid of hurting sensibilities because this is your money you're spending.
Old 02-01-21, 12:31 PM
coco001

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both fine

I have had 3 cervelos and a bunch of treks including a current emonda sl6 pro disc. I just test road the caledonia with mechanical ultegra and loved it--- it just felt good even with the heavy wheels and wide tires. It is totally different than an emonda, but I would not hesitate to buy a cervelo. I would never spend extra $ on the di2. In fact,I would buy 105 shimano if they had it....best value , just slightly heavier use xtra $ for wheels etc
Old 02-01-21, 12:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by coco001
I just test road the caledonia with mechanical ultegra and loved it--- it just felt good even with the heavy wheels and wide tires. It is totally different than an emonda,
Apples and bowling balls. Two totally different bikes so I don't see why you would think they are not totally different.
Likes For GlennR: