Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are RX100 shifters 7 speed compatible??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 08:34 PM
blackcannon

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee Sport, Viner, Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an older Crest Team Cannondale bike that I just got for my GF...I wanted to convert her downtube shifters to brifters....I was going to upgrade the shifters on my bike and put my RX100 8 speed shifters on hers...Is this possible? I tried searching but found no answers...I was also thinking of upgrading hers to 8speed but not sure if this is doable...I've searched and found out it is possible...Any ideas/suggestions/answers? Thanks
Old 05-28-06, 10:47 PM
thePest

Bikes: none at this time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackcannon
.I was going to upgrade the shifters on my bike and put my RX100 8 speed shifters on hers...Is this possible? I tried searching but found no answers...I was also thinking of upgrading hers to 8speed but not sure if this is doable...I've searched and found out it is possible...Any ideas/suggestions/answers? Thanks
Here are the things you will need to do:
a.) change the pulleys in your rear derailleur to 8speed and the bolts. You will have a better and smoother shift. The 7's are a tad wide but will work.
b.) I would relace an 8speed hub in, be easier. But if you want to go old school. You will need to overhaul {pull out the axle) to get to the bolt holding the freehub. Go get a 8sp or 9sp {w/spacer}. The inner cone MUST MATCH THE DUST CAP on the freehub.
c.) going to an 8sp cassette {stay with Shimano} also means to replace the chain. This is a must to run an 8sp chain.

Try and stay with this manufacture when doing the change over. it will save a lot of headaches...
Old 05-29-06, 08:35 AM
blackcannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thePest
Here are the things you will need to do:
a.) change the pulleys in your rear derailleur to 8speed and the bolts. You will have a better and smoother shift. The 7's are a tad wide but will work.
b.) I would relace an 8speed hub in, be easier. But if you want to go old school. You will need to overhaul {pull out the axle) to get to the bolt holding the freehub. Go get a 8sp or 9sp {w/spacer}. The inner cone MUST MATCH THE DUST CAP on the freehub.
c.) going to an 8sp cassette {stay with Shimano} also means to replace the chain. This is a must to run an 8sp chain.

Try and stay with this manufacture when doing the change over. it will save a lot of headaches...

Can I just put on the RX100 brifters with the current components for now...Will these brifters work on older 7 speed Shimano 105 components?
Old 05-29-06, 08:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by blackcannon
Can I just put on the RX100 brifters with the current components for now...Will these brifters work on older 7 speed Shimano 105 components?
7-speed and 8-speed cassette spacing is just a tad off so the indexing won't be perfect but it'll work. To get the best results, adjust the cable tension so that the derailleur pulleys line up perfectly when you're in the middle rear cog.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-06, 11:41 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put Sora 8 speed brifters on my 7 sp bike. Sheldon brown has instructions for an alternate cable attachment at the rear der to make the movement of the der right for 7 sp. It wasnt too bad before this fix, but works fine now.
Old 05-29-06, 05:13 PM
blackcannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what...I just took a second look at her bike and noticed it's 6 speed...Is the rear triangle on 6 speeds wide enough for upgrade?
Old 05-29-06, 05:58 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Most -speeds are freewheel, not cassette. You'll need to re-build the rear wheel with a new 8,9 hub.
Why not buy her a nice new bike.

Al
Old 05-29-06, 07:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The rear triangle is the same width for 6 and 7-speeds at 126 mm. However, as Al1943 noted, most 6-speed bikes had freewheel hubs. Index compatible 7-speed freewheels are available but in a pretty limited choice of cogs. Shimano makes a 14x28 and an 11x 32(?) and that's it. 8-speed freewheels are available but require a 130 mm hub and rear triangle. You CAN NOT permanantly spread (cold set) your Cannondale to 130 mm safely but 130 mm hubs may fit the existing spacing with some effort.
Old 05-29-06, 10:00 PM
blackcannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The rear triangle is the same width for 6 and 7-speeds at 126 mm. However, as Al1943 noted, most 6-speed bikes had freewheel hubs. Index compatible 7-speed freewheels are available but in a pretty limited choice of cogs. Shimano makes a 14x28 and an 11x 32(?) and that's it. 8-speed freewheels are available but require a 130 mm hub and rear triangle. You CAN NOT permanantly spread (cold set) your Cannondale to 130 mm safely but 130 mm hubs may fit the existing spacing with some effort.
Good info HillRider...Thanks...

You got $700 you can give me Al?
Old 05-30-06, 04:46 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
some possibilities

1) Run with the current 6-speed rear wheel. If you use the alternate cable attachment at the rear derailer https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#alternate , the 8-speed brifters might work OK.

2) Keep same rear wheel but go 7-speed. How you go 7-speed depends on what type of wheel it is. If freewheel, then just get a 7-speed freewheel. If freehub, then it is Uniglide and you can get 7-speed Uniglide cassettes and loose cogs at Loose Screws https://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...id=53386728737 You could also swap it to a Hyperglide freehub and get a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette.

3) New 8-speed wheel, cassette, chain. The Cannondale can't be cold set since it's aluminum, but you can spread the triangle 4mm each time you insert the wheel.
Old 05-31-06, 04:37 AM
blackcannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
some possibilities

1) Run with the current 6-speed rear wheel. If you use the alternate cable attachment at the rear derailer https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#alternate , the 8-speed brifters might work OK.

2) Keep same rear wheel but go 7-speed. How you go 7-speed depends on what type of wheel it is. If freewheel, then just get a 7-speed freewheel. If freehub, then it is Uniglide and you can get 7-speed Uniglide cassettes and loose cogs at Loose Screws https://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...id=53386728737 You could also swap it to a Hyperglide freehub and get a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette.

3) New 8-speed wheel, cassette, chain. The Cannondale can't be cold set since it's aluminum, but you can spread the triangle 4mm each time you insert the wheel.
Good info Gonzo....Thank you...
Old 05-18-20, 03:33 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
if I were you I might look for a set of 7 speed rsx brifters-- they are pretty solid actually and are of the era..
Old 05-18-20, 04:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
if I were you I might look for a set of 7 speed rsx brifters-- they are pretty solid actually and are of the era..
14 year old thread, I think they figured it out by now.
Old 05-18-20, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
How does this happen? One of the BF mysteries....